Focused Feedback Thread - Camera Suite

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders! Hope you're all doing well today.

It's time!

Having followed many recent discussions lately through various social platforms regarding the Elite Dangerous Camera Suite, particularly the discovered differences that the version within Odyssey has compared to Horizons, I would love to work closer with you all on finding out more about what improvements you would like to see, in order to bring your creative experience back to parity with Horizons for Odyssey players, as well as general quality improvements for Horizons players.

An example, I have on my list here of a quality/experience improvement is looking into how the limitations of the "signal lost/blackout" boundary affects creativity.

I also want to include in this discussion what your long term wish list might be for the Camera Suite! So stepping away from just issues and such, looking more toward what you would find exciting as a new feature for the Suite. Go wild! No suggestion is a bad one, let's have some fun with this!

I'll be here joining in with you as discussions roll out.

Feedback Format
To help me out a little, please provide your thoughts in the following way:

Top Current Issues/Quality of Life Requests
  • X X X
  • X X X
Long Term Wish List
  • X X X
  • X X X

I'm excited for this!

Thank you all, as usual for your commitment to helping us make Elite Dangerous the best experience for us all moving forward.

o7

--------------------------------------

A couple of FAQs I thought I might include for you all, for interest's sake.

Why was the signal lost/blackout boundary even implemented?
At the time of development of the Camera Suite, we were also developing Guardian and Thargoid sites in Horizons. We were really worried that players would end up ruining some suprises for themselves if the camera had no boundaries and could fly around through terrain and surfaces, as well as concern over...well...basically you seeing the "ugly side" of things like the inside of planets, you know? We're since learning that freedom of movement for creatives appears to be much more important than us worrying about some of these issues too much, however we are still a little concerned that entire camera freedom of movement without limitation could lead to spoilers or some kind of misuse.

Have you had any thoughts about what could be done so far to improve the Camera Suite further?

A few, totally. For example the main one being how we might reassign the camera to react based off collision as oppose to distance from player. Now bear in mind this idea is a bigger undertaking than many would assume - it would be a rework of the system and have a knock on affect to a fair few things. This would be an example of a long term improvement request BUT that doesn't mean to say we can't solve some initial concerns elegantly in the meantime, using the current system, and investigate such a rework as we move forward into the future.

Why am I doing this when discussions are already out there to farm from?
Rest assured I have my priority list in order from what I have seen, however having a platform where I can discuss and feed back to you personally in one place, with a helpful structure, is going to be way more beneficial for us all.

--------------------------------------

Does this also extend to things like the gunnery view and or piloting a ship in 3rd person (since they share similarities)?

Long live bug for years there. F10 (and some combinations) is hard encoded to do screenshot. However it is possible to map F10 to anything in game too, so in fact it do 2 things at once: configured one + screenshot.
I have F10 bound to mouse for historical reasons many years. So in Elite I just set 'switch next firegroup" to it. It was "lagging" a little, but I thought weapons should work so.
This winter I found 120Gb of screenshots ...I didn't even know they exists :D
As I play on Linux, I just remapped that folder to /dev/null so problem was avoided on Horizons.
In Odessey pressing F10 3 times or more kills FPS permanent. On my system I can lower 90 fps in space to 7 fps pressing F10 11 times. Permanent till game reload full. So now I have to learn to not touch mouse button at all. Frustrating.

What I ask is simple - remove that hard map and add configure option, so I can unmap "take screenshot" function at all and never use it. As I have my system setup "ctrl+printscr" to take current game shot and manage file naming, date etc. automatically. Others may keep use old, just let the keystroke be changeable.

Last edited:
Being User-friendly in general. Like easy to use. (This is most important to me)

I'm ok long-term wise of there being a max distance from user, *Though an increase of max distance allowed would be nice. ( an increase of 500 meters or more... would be ok with me)

Hi Sally,

It would be very nice if we could have the same keymapping for ship, SRV and on foot.
It makes no sense that I need to configure different key to open camera mode.

Removing blackout would also be very nice.

Also, the ransomware shield of Avast is making is impossible to take screenshots either from frontier or epic account (many games have this issue)

Stay awesome <3

• Remove or at least reduce blackouts (push borders of when it happen further away from object* position) while using camera suite. Sometimes there is only limited time to catch nice shot, when suddenly you see a black wall :) Passing through solid object surface and adjust camera position accordingly is much easier if you see that it happen (you see that you go below surface).
Long Term Wish List
  • Allow save camera position, angle and depth. To have at least one possible "custom" position with a hotkey would be aweome. I hardly can count how often I lost "perfect" shot when I mistakenly pressed wrong button and then I needed do all of camera positioning again and usually also returning object* to previous location.
* means ship, SRV or cmdr on foot

• Make the blackout less trigger-happy (Ascorbius in a recent video showed that apparently it triggers as soon as the camera can't see the player's center of mass/thighs)
I think that's the big one that would be the most "urgent" for most people.

Long Term Wish List
  • Possibility to rebind the "screenshot" key to something other than F10
  • Maybe allowing a specific keybind for high-res screenshots ? (to avoid Alt + <new key> issues ?)

• Make the environment (walls, planetary surfaces...) a hard "wall" for the camera (collision), but don't make it collide with moving things (ships, people, vehicles).
    That one I put in that second list, cause it depends on how the camera was done and how Elite handles collisions. I would put it in the "Top Current Issues" if the devs thinks it shouldn't be hard to fix.
Edit : Also, thanks Sally !

• The blackout is too severe. It blacks out even when nowhere near anything. I'd prefer it to be removed entirely. At the very least it needs to be much more forgiving.
  • Camera 'grime' cannot be removed without an external shader modifier. It's quite ugly, and it's a "special effect" that currently can't be controlled by the photographer. This should be toggleable in-game.
  • There should be a way to save a camera position (or several), and return to it. The built-in angles are mostly useless.
  • Allow the on-foot camera to use the SAME keybinding as the in-flight and in-SRV ones. Why are these different anyway?
Long Term Wish List
  • I don't really have any thoughts for this. The camera suite is pretty good as is, except for the above things I mentioned.

As far as "misuse" goes, I don't see any real problems there. It's difficult to navigate or "play the game" while in the camera. Flying your ship is possible but you can't fight that way, or do much more than take pictures of your ship. On foot you can't aim or see your HUD or anything -- again, not an advantage of any kind.

Seeing the "inside" of meshes is hardly a problem, unless y'all have written some clues to Raxxa in there :)

Great to see the camera suite getting some love! I have posted in SPVFA a request for suggestions from the 2000+ group and will collate and relay the most pertinent suggestions.

I have had a few Cmdrs express that the best camera suite of any game is Warframe and although I haven't played myself the camera suite is the ultimate extreme that I have seen! Here is a link to a short video showing how advanced it is as may provide a few ideas that maybe applicable and implementable to Eilte.
Source: https://youtu.be/sNMwekuJTzQ

Thank you again for looking at possible improvements to a part of Elite very close to my heart.
ő7

sallymorganmoore

Being User-friendly in general. Like easy to use. (This is most important to me)

I'm ok long-term wise of there being a max distance from user, *Though an increase of max distance allowed would be nice. ( an increase of 500 meters or more... would be ok with me)

But what would YOUR idea of 'Easy to Use' mean :)? Like for now, for example some may find it "easy to use", but what would help you?

sallymorganmoore

Great to see the camera suite getting some love! I have posted in SPVFA a request for suggestions from the 2000+ group and will collate and relay the most pertinent suggestions.

I have had a few Cmdrs express that the best camera suite of any game is Warframe and although I haven't played myself the camera suite is the ultimate extreme that I have seen! Here is a link to a short video showing how advanced it is as may provide a few ideas that maybe applicable and implementable to Eilte.
Source: https://youtu.be/sNMwekuJTzQ

Thank you again for looking at possible improvements to a part of Elite very close to my heart.
ő7

Thank you so, so much for saying you'll help filter fown the top suggestions. That seriously will help me out a tonne to narrow in on the best ones for you all.

• Click to set focus on clicked object/ pixel
  • Buttons to reset camera location rotation (separate ones)
Long Term Wish List.
  • Blur affecting in-ship hologram displays
  • Bokeh control (number of elements in the aperture)
  • Character poses, waving, aiming, victory, sitting, clapping etc. etc.
  • Exposition Compensation
  • White Balance
  • Getting rid of blur/zoom modes switching. I would like to just have separate controls for that without going back and forth between those modes.
  • Little far-fetched but other players being able to see a little drone in place of the camera suit would greatly add to the immersion of using it. Having option to enable/disable drone shadow on the photo too (Explaining it that drone software is removing it's shadow by default)

sallymorganmoore

This winter I found 120Gb of screenshots ...I didn't even know they exists :D

What I ask is simple - remove that hard map and add configure option, so I can unmap "take screenshot" function at all and never use it. As I have my system setup "ctrl+printscr" to take current game shot and manage file naming, date etc. automatically. Others may keep use old, just let the keystroke be changeable.

This made me smile SO much, Commander :''') Oh dear!!!
Thank you so much for your suggestion!

sallymorganmoore

• Click to set focus on clicked object/ pixel
  • Buttons to reset camera location rotation (separate ones)
Long Term Wish List.
  • Blur affecting in-ship hologram displays
  • Bokeh control (number of elements in the aperture)
  • Character poses, waving, aiming, victory, sitting, clapping etc. etc.
  • Exposition Compensation
  • White Balance
  • Getting rid of blur/zoom modes switching. I would like to just have separate controls for that without going back and forth between those modes.
  • Little far-fetched but other players being able to see a little drone in place of the camera suit would greatly add to the immersion of using it. Having option to enable/disable drone shadow on the photo too (Explaining it that drone software is removing it's shadow by default)

Beautifully formatted, thank you!

Would be nice to be able to record a combat session then replay it and use the camera/external view to actually take action screenshots or videos of the action. Otherwise need multiple people to do this right now, and even then I suspect camera ranges will make it tricky.

Top Bottom