Newcomer / Intro Foggy asteroid rings

When I was brand new I remembering reading a post somewhere that said that how foggy an asteroid ring is reflects how depleted it is and that it is better to mine in one that is clear.

Since then, I've never seen it mentioned, not even in various guides. My question is...was that post I saw just someone who was misinformed or was it a true statement and just such "common knowledge" no one else ever mentions it?

Kind of true statement?
I suspect that idea come from the cloud that is created after preforming a deep core mining operation.
I know after i have done some mining in a hot spot and cracked open a few asteroids i can leave and upon returning to the same area will start to see large clouds of dust where i was. but the "clip" range of these does not make the ring appear cloudy. more like bubbles of dust that start to show up once in range.

I don't know that there is any backing for this, or at least I haven't experienced a difference in fog level with the introduction of deep core mining.

When I was brand new I remembering reading a post somewhere that said that how foggy an asteroid ring is reflects how depleted it is and that it is better to mine in one that is clear.

Since then, I've never seen it mentioned, not even in various guides. My question is...was that post I saw just someone who was misinformed or was it a true statement and just such "common knowledge" no one else ever mentions it?

I've heard exactly the same thing, and it sort of coincides with me not being able find Void Opal asteroids- could be confirmation bias, of course!

Cores are indeed persistent, so it is theoretically possible that you are in an area that has been mined out.
However, it is pretty unlikely. Hotspots are HUGE and it would take an massive amount of other players to actually empty a hotspot, especially considering that nobody in their right mind heads for the marked center of the Hotspot.
They are also supposed to respawn over time, but there are varying opinions and nothing concrete about how long it takes.

Yes, a mined core will leave a patch of mist/dust, but there is plenty of that in many rings depending on your graphics settings and the current lighting conditions. The fog you are seeing could well just be background effects and nothing to do with mined cores.

I think I am the one that said this JE, in a Void Opal thread recently

It's more an indicator of traffic than of reserves state, but obviously those two things are linked.

Does it work this way? Not sure, but plausible anyway.

Top Bottom