For rare commodities, how often do stations get restocked?

I’m unlocking the engineer, Broo Tarquin, and I have to supply him with a bunch of fancy tea, and the supplying station only has a supply of 5 units at a time. I was docked at the station about 15 minutes and found that the tea was restocked at I could add 5 more to my cargo hold. How often do stations that sell rare commodities get restocked?

For rares there's a max amount you can have in your hold at any one time (each rare is a different qty), so in general, after one refresh (10 or 15 minutes), you're done until you empty your hold.

Last edited:
Rare goods having pathetic allocations in every state other than Boom, and dribbling the allocations every ten minutes, is "dynamic and exiting gameplay" according to FD.

Sadly, that's not being sarcastic. Dav from FD actually said that during a live stream.

I didn't use rares early in the game (I don't use external tools), I discovered a couple and figured out that they were worth more the further away they were sold but I was already in an AspX by that time & they just supplemented my income rather than being a direct source.

However later in the game I discovered more and I think if they were better marketed (and named in some cases so their home system could be deduced) in-game the system could have seen more use early in the game when ships are small & available cargo space is too. It might motivate new players to explore more of the bubble.

However I think rares are more of an artefact left over from a time when new players spent more time in the smaller ship. Given the current payouts for missions, and rate of early progression I'd be happy for the quantities to be significantly increased and fetch missions to be added to allow players to discover their own profitable trade routes should they want to.

I think it is an if statement.

int rareCargo
int maxRaresLimit
int maxRareStock

if rareCargo == maxRaresLimit

then maxRareStock =0

It was complaining players causing the quantities to be limited. Once upon a time rare commodities were plentiful. Their sale value increases the farther away from the purchasing system. So load up, fly 220 LY, sell and get a nice profit. Players called this an exploit so the quantities were limited to low values and a player cannot load any more if they have the max on board. Now that they are needed for the Engineers multiple trips are required.

Still setting up a multi-system rares trading route is very lucrative as well as adding to the explorer rating. Here was a popular one. There are many.

lkRWdtw.jpg

I didn't use rares early in the game (I don't use external tools), I discovered a couple and figured out that they were worth more the further away they were sold but I was already in an AspX by that time & they just supplemented my income rather than being a direct source.

However later in the game I discovered more and I think if they were better marketed (and named in some cases so their home system could be deduced) in-game the system could have seen more use early in the game when ships are small & available cargo space is too. It might motivate new players to explore more of the bubble.

However I think rares are more of an artefact left over from a time when new players spent more time in the smaller ship. Given the current payouts for missions, and rate of early progression I'd be happy for the quantities to be significantly increased and fetch missions to be added to allow players to discover their own profitable trade routes should they want to.
If you are just going to use in-game information, rare goods trade is going to be very limited.

There is some mention in the game:

• I think the engineers state where the rare goods they require are from.
  • You can very occasionally find rare goods dropped by NPCs - I've seen a total of 4 of these in 3 years.
  • Rare goods CGs usually state where to get their goods can be bought.
  • There was once a CG for all rare goods. All the legal ones were listed in the commodity market, but only the rare good's names gave any clue where to get them.
  • I've heard rumours about NPCs that offer missions to fetch rare goods. Never seen one, and have no idea where to find these.
  • A few NPC crew mention rare goods in their backstories.

If you are just going to use in-game information, rare goods trade is going to be very limited.

There is some mention in the game:

• You can very occasionally find rare goods dropped by NPCs - I've seen a total of 4 of these in 3 years.
  • There was once a CG for all rare goods. All the legal ones were listed in the commodity market, but only the rare good's names gave any clue where to get them.
  • I've heard rumours about NPCs that offer missions to fetch rare goods. Never seen one, and have no idea where to find these.

I remember the Sothis Gold CG, and the engineers ones have the system in their name I think - I have unlocked all the engineers (not the new Colonia ones).

I think there is a general tendency for the Devs to assume communication between players which puts me at something of a competitive disadvantage, but I generally don't compete with others.

There is a great deal to find in this game, most of which I have not discovered in-game - the Guardian stuff is a good example. I know it exists, a station I frequent sells the Guardian gear but I have no idea where to start looking for the sites (in-game). A quick google would easily tell me but I don't want to find out that way, I want to 'discover' it in-game.

I appreciate my style of play is not for everyone & certainly no one should be forced down the path I choose to take, but sometimes I think it would be nice if the Dungeon Masters considered my style of play when they add these puzzles into the game. And of course Rares are just another of those discoverable easter eggs ;)

Broo Tarquin is five trips...so what? Used my Anaconda so each round trip was just a few jumps. All in all one or two hours.

Broo Tarquin is five trips...so what? Used my Anaconda so each round trip was just a few jumps. All in all one or two hours.

True, but even I would have to admit that getting rares for Engineers is the very definition of 'grindy'. This is one area where ED could use some improvements, perhaps by having multiple ways of unlocking an Engineer.

An extra one that lets you find out about several categories: a lot of megaships and installations have rares in their cargo holds.

It was complaining players causing the quantities to be limited. Once upon a time rare commodities were plentiful. Their sale value increases the farther away from the purchasing system. So load up, fly 220 LY, sell and get a nice profit. Players called this an exploit so the quantities were limited to low values and a player cannot load any more if they have the max on board. Now that they are needed for the Engineers multiple trips are required.

Still setting up a multi-system rares trading route is very lucrative as well as adding to the explorer rating. Here was a popular one. There are many.

How far back are you thinking? I did the rare runs in my early days and I started playing on the release day. I did a repeat of my old (3 stop) route for fun a little while ago and quantities appeared to be similar apart from systems in boom where quantities were quite a lot more than they used to be. I don't see why they are not still valid as an early way of earning cash and learning that there are other places out there to visit. Yes there are lots of rares that really are not worth it as the allocation is so small but there are also rares available in half decent quantities.

This is the most recent thread I could find on this. I'm sitting at Kamitra with 45t of cigars. The engineer they're for requires 50. This is just stupid, to have to do a 2nd run for 5t. It wouldn't be quite so annoying if the max was 25, but 45 is just irritating. First engineer I have been really annoyed by the unlock.

Although annoying, there's nothing stopping you from buying another 45, and selling 40 of them.

Top Bottom