ANNOUNCEMENT Forum overhaul coming Thursday 23/10/14 10:00am BST

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

EDIT: The forums will be down today from 10am - 24/10/14

As mentioned in Newsletter 45, the forums will be going down from 10:00am BST on 23/10/14. It should take us around 6 hours to migrate to the new forums, so thanks for your patience during that time.

Changes to the forum include:

- New social link icons on forum threads
- In-line developer post tracking - Clicking the Frontier logo or Elite logo will jump to posts from developers on the thread list or within the thread itself
- Three new themes to use: Elite, Frontier or optimised black
- General aesthetic overhaul – full-screen, pays homage to the Elite: Dangerous UI
- Sticky and normal threads separated clearly
- In-line replies remove the need to migrate to a new page when posting
- Many smaller, passive changes that will improve the functionality and performance of the forums

- Reputation system remains, but we are looking into an improved, more accurate system

Thanks again guys, looking forward to reading your feedback once the changes have gone through. Any questions, ask in the thread below.

Ed

Last edited:
I like the feature to jump to dev posts, it'll help cut through the sea of half baked replies ;)

A responsive version for smaller screen devices is much needed though.

- Three new themes to use: Elite, Frontier or optimised black

Will at least one of those themes be a dark-writing-on-pale-background option?

I only ask because light writing on a dark background gives me a blinding headache after a few minutes.

EDIT - Oh, and should've also said I'm excited to see the changes :)

Not being able to check the forum for 6 hours...

1253886001_office-no.gif

Later followed by...

cXRNuwY.gif

I quite like my rep, selfish and slightly egotistical, but well... I worked hard for it. I was worried (and I'm still a little) about having to start from scratch again under a new system.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
The new forums are cool. I think you guys/gals will really enjoy it. And big props to Brett for making it a reality. :D

A jump to your own posts button would be lovely too! Makes it easier to see if there are any replies to your posts without having to subscribe.

(Gets prepared to be told that he was doing it wrong the whole time)

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in Newsletter 45, the forums will be going down from 10:00am BST on 23/10/14. It should take us around 6 hours to migrate to the new forums, so thanks for your patience during that time.

Ed

i think today is the day to take some screens for later, for my personal ED scrapbook. this forum has been a most wonderful (if technically & aesthetically slightly quaint :D ) home for all my elite and FDEV needs.

*sobs*

Drat! Bang goes my hope for Workbench 2.0 style for the forum :D Seriously though Brett has done great work with the forum in the past and I am sure these new changes will be splendid :cool:

The new forums are cool. I think you guys/gals will really enjoy it. And big props to Brett for making it a reality. :D

Yeah. Definitely! They look really cool, and they're much easier to use. As far as the rep system goes, it will be a big change, but it'll be for the better in the end. It'll be a more accurate indication of how much people like your posts/comments.

And yes, absolutely... massive shout out to Brett for working tirelessly on this stuff - couldn't be done without him.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom