Frontier don't even honour their own words!!! (Angry about VR)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
All of the points that you are making regarding the limitations of present tech are entirely valid, but I think that most of us VR players, and perhaps many explorers, have issues with what we see as a change of direction and emphasis with EDO (we can debate whether those perceptions and expectations were well founded). I can't speak for others, but that's how I feel at least. Are you saying that an FPS shooter which ditched VR was the only manageable first step for the new era of the game?
My big issue is that the game seems to be currently without a direction except "fix some of what we broke and get it on consoles in a few months."

...no one group was left untouched, managed to pee off the entire player base. Almost impressive was this one!

I'm impressed. I knew the FPS was gonna be a bust but I did believe the planet tech hype. The ED graphics team had never let us down until EDO. The only MVP left is the audio department.

52hm56.jpg

Somewhat curious console illiterate here... So apparently they had to specifically go in and add screenmodes, rather than them just being available in a list to begin with..(?)

What else is there that people are expecting from a new-generation console optimisation pass, that go beyond the better performance that should come inherently with the more recent silicon, which I would have to assume the game build would automagically make use of?

Better specifically coded use of the new direct access SSD controllers, perhaps? What else?

...FSR and raytracing, maybe - there's some things of the sort PC players, too, would probably appreciate... :p

On Xbox One X, FDEV added a 4K Quality mode for 30fps and a 1080p performance mode at 60fps. On older Xbox hardware it was just 1080p at 30fps.

I think PS4 Pro got a 1440p mode added, PS owners can confirm/deny that?

For the next-gen consoles, I would be looking for visuals and performance closer to what a medium-rig PC is doing now. Stuff like more rocks in ice belts, better volumetric lighting etc. Neither console would beat a top-PC, its just about taking advantage of the extra horsepower both on PS5 and Xbox Series S|X. I'm not expecting ray-tracing or FSR (not supported on PC yet anyway), or even exploiting the native SSD speeds.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, they just haven't told US what direction they're going in. I'm sure they have some kind of plan. It just doesn't seem to be one a lot of us like.
Yeah but the Cylons had a plan to, according to the intro, and see how it turned out.

I think the plan is to focus on console release. They do what they can on the side, and that's it.

Well, to be fair, they just haven't told US what direction they're going in. I'm sure they have some kind of plan. It just doesn't seem to be one a lot of us like.
That is fair actually, they obviously have some future plan we just don't know it yet. I mean they kept tight lipped about the space legs they were obviously working on for ages so who's to say they're not currently working on Atmospheric worlds or ship interi... oh wait..

Oh, I'm sure you're correct, I'm certain they're actually planning something beyond that. Presumably there's actually some stuff in this expac we haven't seen yet (There are files that have been datamined for new SRVs, for example) - because otherwise it took 100 people 2 years to break the UI, semi-fix multicrew, and slap on a half-arsed FPS.
But that the only thing we know about the future so far are things that aren't planned isn't great.

Yeah but the Cylons had a plan to, according to the intro, and see how it turned out.

I think the plan is to focus on console release. They do what they can on the side, and that's it.

BSG was an awesome show... but LOL at the plan

From the show's creator:

The show’s opening pre-credit sequence describing the Cylon revolution stated that the humanoid robots had a “plan.” Moore said this was, essentially, just something co-executive producer David Eick thought sounded cool, that audiences would love and that they could figure out later. They never did and, said Moore, “For the next 14 years of my life people have asked me ‘What was the plan?’” In short, “There was no … plan.

NMS doesnt have planet orbits, full scale planets, decent rendering distances, any kind of BGS, a proper flight model, native peripheral support and so on. It reinforces the point: you can do some of what NMS, X4, ED and so forth do, but you cannot combine it all into one game. And gamers really need to get that simple point through their thick skulls pronto. :)
As I say, I take your point about the more fantastic hopes among gamers and the limitations of present tech. It seems to me that VR was ditched largely as a result of the challenges of conforming to best practices in VR and FPS gameplay though, and that it could have been otherwise.

For the next-gen consoles, I would be looking for visuals and performance closer to what a medium-rig PC is doing now. Stuff like more rocks in ice belts, better volumetric lighting etc. Neither console would beat a top-PC, its just about taking advantage of the extra horsepower both on PS5 and Xbox Series S|X
Ok, I would have thought things like that would either be subject to user settings, or adapt dynamically, but I guess things are more cut-down by hand and hardcoded in that market space, that I would have imagined...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom