Elite / Frontier Frontier for Android

Due to the fast popularity of tablet computers, I believe there is a market for games such as Elite & Frontier to be available to these devices as they are small in file sizes.

I have an iPod Touch with 'Unknown 3D Space Trader' app installed. This is a superb unofficial iOS version of the legendary game. Unfortunately it is no longer in the App Store.

I am considering in purchasing a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I understand there are some emulators for DOS & Amiga for the Android platform. However I think both Elite & Frontier would not run at their full potential on Android System, unless their source codes are modified for Android.

I am wondering whether Frontier Developments would consider introducing the two classic games to the Android platform and maybe on Apple iOS devices.

If so, I think there would be a huge market for these games on the tablet platform coinciding the forthcoming release of Elite Dangerous next year.

So, what do you think guys?

Last edited:
Not a bad idea, though I wouldn't want Frontier to divert too may resources away from ED.

I've managed to get FE2 running via DOSBox on my android phone, but it isn't really playable because the control method is so unwieldy :(

Not a bad idea, though I wouldn't want Frontier to divert too may resources away from ED.

I've managed to get FE2 running via DOSBox on my android phone, but it isn't really playable because the control method is so unwieldy :(

Hi Steve, that's exactly what I thought. I think that's a shame because both titles are such classics which I feel deserve a place on these platforms other than PCs with their emulators. They are classics never to be consigned to history.

:cool:

However I think both Elite & Frontier would not run at their full potential on Android System, unless their source codes are modified for Android.

True, but even more than modified -- they'd have to be entirely rewritten. Frontier was written in 68k and x86 assembly language, not a high level language, so it can't easily be ported to anything else. The GLFrontier guys managed to disassemble the Atari ST (68k) version into some reusable C code, but it's a huge hack and hard to maintain.

So I think the chances of seeing an official Frontier (or even Elite) port to Android/iOS are virtually zilch now. Pioneer, OTOH, is open source and written in a high-level language, so it may be doable one day. And although that game uses the keyboard, a version with joypad/touch controls isn't unthinkable. Look at NES Elite or CD32 Frontier for instance.

A man can dream, eh...

M

I been playing Frontier Elite 2 flawlessly on android Samsung Galaxy Note 9, keyboard and mouse Bluetooth, I'm using Magic Dosbox ;)...Attachments below shows set up to run after download and unzipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201122-095839_Magic DosBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-095839_Magic DosBox.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20201122-095853_Magic DosBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-095853_Magic DosBox.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Screenshot_20201122-095901_Magic DosBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-095901_Magic DosBox.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20201122-095922_Magic DosBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-095922_Magic DosBox.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot_20201122-095929_Magic DosBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-095929_Magic DosBox.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20201122-095936_Magic DosBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-095936_Magic DosBox.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I always thought that FE2 and FFE would've worked great on the Wii (and we do know from the Lostwinds games that Frontier did work with the Wii) - and the Wii Remote could've operated like operating the mouse, while the Classic controller could've provided joystick support (think about how Monster Hunter Tri used both at the same time).

I will admit I've yet to add DOSBox to my Wii's homebrew menu so I don't know how FE2 and FFE would work under the Wii's Dosbox implementation - but it may be tricky to get the Wii remote operating like a mouse.

Top Bottom