Frontier is the WORST at helping to create minor factions.

Try this...

The Solar Storm Knights were a band of freelancers pilots that made a fortune in bounty hunting and trading. Looking to expand their enterprise and secure a long term legacy they became more involved in system politics, using their skills and fortune to provide jobs and security. The Solar Storm Knights seek victory above all else but will accommodate ethics when convenient.
Already much better. Past tense is a bit pessimistic though. ;)

Just a point;

but will accommodate ethics when convenient.

If you "accomodate ethics when convenient" then you aren't be ethical, you are being opportunistic, you will basically do anything that gives you advantage, if that aligns occaisionally with someone else's system of ethics that's coincidental, but the moment that advantage no longer aligns with that system of ethics you will turn on them like rabid dogs, ethics isn't something you do opportunistically, if that's the case you aren't doing ethics!

Just a point;

If you "accomodate ethics when convenient" then you aren't be ethical, you are being opportunistic, you will basically do anything that gives you advantage, if that aligns occaisionally with someone else's system of ethics that's coincidental, but the moment that advantage no longer aligns with that system of ethics you will turn on them like rabid dogs, ethics isn't something you do opportunistically, if that's the case you aren't doing ethics!
I did what I could with what I had. I put about thirty seconds of effort in haha.

Just a point;

It fits OP's "we do what takes, failure is not an option, but we're always dignified." contradiction.

If I were OP I'd stop trying to be cool and come up with a more meaningful description. Like, don't say you are awesome miners, traders, hunters, scouts and assassins because that is just way too broad and generic. Pick one, and explain how it came to be without 'bragging'.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
It fits OP's "we do what takes, failure is not an option, but we're always dignified." contradiction.

If I were OP I'd stop trying to be cool and come up with a more meaningful description. Like, don't say you are awesome miners, traders, hunters, scouts and assassins because that is just way too broad and generic. Pick one, and explain how it came to be without 'bragging'.
Where do you even find the descriptions in game?

I've only been playing since 2016 and I still don't know.... 😬

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
If you go on galaxy map, choose a system and at the top left it will either say no description available or it will have some text.
Isn't that just the system rather than the minor factions within it?

I've basically checked about 10 home systems of player minor factions and they all say 'No system description is available' even checking some quoted by PC groups to check on the forums from old posts. I must be missing something or is it just missing from PlayStation? 🤔

Last edited:
I’ve added a screenshot of the (newest) submission, (minus the intended systems so they don’t get stolen on me).

so far, I’ve had to change the government type, the overall description of what we do (we love trade, but they didn’t feel our name reflected that), show how we got the name (new) and difference between squad and faction (new), as well as the time the systems were all unavailable to me.

I LITERALLY don’t care even one SMIDGEON about the description. I just want the name “Solar Storm Knights” on a faction. That’s it. That’s all. Why is this an IMPOSSIBLE task!?
It's difficult task, because you don't care about description, using cliche ideas for a faction.
That's actually second and biggest problem - I think you, just as many other people, confuse factions with something like squadron (listing game loops players involved in that faction prefer).
It's supposed to be something like a nation - rather diverse, huge number of people united by language, culture, history, etc. Players are just a few people among thousands or millions.
When you write something like that it is like saying: Americans are masters of trade and bounty hunting.
Do you hear how terrible it sounds? What is this? List of skills your race has maxed out? Everyone has base Trading and Bounty hunting +5?

Describe origins of the faction and think what makes it stand apart form other factions - what happened that made it a faction - how it works as an organisation.
Think how would you describe an existing real life nation, not going into another cheap "(insert name here) are great warriors" but rather "are proud of their military heritage" if you really must.
Masters of trade? Well, ok - maybe there's some kind of trading organisation there, but whatever your faction is, it doesn't mean its members have some obligatory character traits (unless it is some kind of cult, where members are cast out when they aren't exactly as their leader commands).

Honestly, I am so tired of these "our faction is the bestest at everything. We are cool and awesome and kill super hard!" descriptions. Every time I run into something like that I am likely to mess around with their BGS on general principle.
My initial description was not like this. It evolved to this based solely upon the changes that they want. Initially it was only about trading and mining (as we do), but they felt as though the name could never suit that activity (like how “the general” car insurance makes sense). How about this. Post a description of ANYTHING... I’ll take it verbatim. I’ll literally cashapp you money if it goes through first try.

How is that a contradiction? These are not mutually exclusive terms. If you are in a war, you can win by playing dirty, or you can win by innovation.

A ninja wins a fight by throwing sand into the eyes of their opponent —-not dignified.

A military commander wins a fight by outmanoeuvring their opponent. —-dignified.

I don’t think you quite grasp the situation. Fdev doesn’t understand how dignity, poise and chivalry can be linked to the term “knight”. .. you know... like “knight in shining armour”... the ones we LITERALLY think of a traditionally dignified, even during war...

My description has been accepted twice, and THEN retroactively revoked. I have reworked it in ACCORDANCE with their requests, now a total of 13 times... with the original being about how we love to trade and mine...

Keep that in mind. TRADE AND MINE! And somehow now we’re a band of assassins because they can’t fathom the name doing anything BUT that.

How is that a contradiction? These are not mutually exclusive terms. If you are in a war, you can win by playing dirty, or you can win by innovation.

A ninja wins a fight by throwing sand into the eyes of their opponent —-not dignified.

A military commander wins a fight by outmanoeuvring their opponent. —-dignified.

I don’t think you quite grasp the situation. Fdev doesn’t understand how dignity, poise and chivalry can be linked to the term “knight”. .. you know... like “knight in shining armour”... the ones we LITERALLY think of a traditionally dignified, even during war...

My description has been accepted twice, and THEN retroactively revoked. I have reworked it in ACCORDANCE with their requests, now a total of 13 times... with the original being about how we love to trade and mine...

Keep that in mind. TRADE AND MINE! And somehow now we’re a band of assassins because they can’t fathom the name doing anything BUT that.
Lol, ok mate. I don't 'quite grasp it' and that description is really a masterpiece. Best of luck with it!

I think you're being dramatic. Frontier has rejected your application 13 times because of the description? Or, is it being rejected because the systems you're choosing aren't available? What exactly was their last rejection response?

If it's the former, it's past the time to try something different. It's their game, and if they feel Solar Storm Knights doesn't match up well with your description, which is rather silly, try something else. Maybe try something simple that helps to develop lore around the aspects of your faction name and description, like,

"The Solar Storm Knights trace their origins to an organization of local miners and traders who regulated the qualifications of security agents and their interactions with authorities and clients. This powerful organization demands that their security agents provide advance reconnaissance and stable trade routes additionally requiring their agents charge head on into every situation with dignity and poise, a feat rarely accomplished by an average officer but which is standard by the organization. Their motto, "Chivalry is optional, failure is not". "

Maybe add something like, "The Solar Storm Knights have been subject to numerous criticisms throughout the years especially over their use of assassins, whom the group says is lawful". Something like that but I didn't felt it fit very well.

Last edited:
I think you're being dramatic. Frontier has rejected your application 13 times because of the description? Or, is it being rejected because the systems you're choosing aren't available? What exactly was their last rejection response?

If it's the former, it's past the time to try something different. It's their game, and if they feel Solar Storm Knights doesn't match up well with your description, which is rather silly, try something else. Maybe try something simple that helps to develop lore around the aspects of your faction name and description, like,

"The Solar Storm Knights trace their origins to an organization of local miners and traders who regulated the qualifications of security agents and their interactions with authorities and clients. This powerful organization demands that their security agents provide advance reconnaissance and stable trade routes additionally requiring their agents charge head on into every situation with dignity and poise, a feat rarely accomplished by an average officer but which is standard by the organization. Their motto, "Chivalry is optional, failure is not". "

Maybe add something like, "The Solar Storm Knights have been subject to numerous criticisms throughout the years especially over their use of assassins, whom the group says is lawful". Something like that but I didn't felt it fit very well.
The fact that you asked the first question means you haven’t fully read WHY I am upset. They HAVE approved of my description before... I know this because they can only check the systems’ availability after acceptance. Which has happened twice. I have received the message “chosen systems not available. Choose 3 new systems and reapply” twice.
They have told me to tweak things like the style of government, the description MANY times... things like “what does knights have to do with chivalry and honour?” I change them in accordance with their suggestions, and then retroactively rescind their suggestions.

I’m going to copy and paste your description and submit it. I’ve pretty much lost all interest in ED because of this 5 month ordeal... this has been one of the worst experiences with any game... I do thank you for your help, though.

Lol, ok mate. I don't 'quite grasp it' and that description is really a masterpiece. Best of luck with it!
If you can’t connect chivalry with knights... the ones that literally created it AND the main 3 tenets of it together.... then yes... there is a lack of concept grasping... lol.

If you can’t connect chivalry with knights... the ones that literally created it AND the main 3 tenets of it together.... then yes... there is a lack of concept grasping... lol.

It's possible they may have been referring to your organisation of Knights and not Knights in general. For instance;

Chivalry is optional, failure is not

Goes against the entire concept of Knighthood and everything it stands for as we understand it today, chivalry is everything and success can only come from doing the correct thing.

So they may have been specifically referring to your interpretation of Knights, which is flawed at best but really just plain wrong.

For the record, I would also have rejected your application based on that single description.

It's possible they may have been referring to your organisation of Knights and not Knights in general. For instance;

Goes against the entire concept of Knighthood and everything it stands for as we understand it today, chivalry is everything and success can only come from doing the correct thing.

So they may have been specifically referring to your interpretation of Knights, which is flawed at best but really just plain wrong.

For the record, I would also have rejected your application based on that single description.
It seems he really doesn't want to consider that all the rejections mean what he wrote is simply not that good. Which is a bit sad, as it is trivial to write something acceptable.

"Blabla is:

1) a ruthless logistics corporation who get the job done no matter what.

2) a militia based on the ancient chivalry codes, who fight with dignity and honor for those who cannot do so themselves.

3) a hidden society based around the silent assassination of those that undermine their agenda.

Or whatever. Just not "lol we are traders and fighters and chivalrous and ruthless oh wait lol we are also stealthy ninjas we are awesome at everything and cool and stuff kek get rekked noobs ."

Honestly, I am so tired of these "our faction is the bestest at everything. We are cool and awesome and kill super hard!" descriptions. Every time I run into something like that I am likely to mess around with their BGS on general principle.
some of the earlier ones to be added made me go "whuh" just because they didn't really... fit in the tone of the rest of the game.
Like there's one called the "Lords of the Darkstar Imperium" which sounds like the villains from some 70s fantasy schlock like Krull or Heavy Metal - which, don't get me wrong, I love that sort of stuff and will watch the hell out of Michael Eddington defeating evil with the universe's deadliest fidget spinner, but Elite's never really had that schlock fantasy "conan the barbarian in space" element.

As for the rest of the stuff, it's like...

It reads more like the description of a squadron than a faction. A military company that's known for charging headlong into battle is the kind of thing that a nation state would have, not what they would be.

Going to try think a little out of the box for this. Maybe the problem is the refference to the Sol(ar) System? That's a specific star that you're associating with there, although I'm not sure why when there's another 400 billion you could choose

Top Bottom