Frontier Issues Tracker

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
How will interaction work between us and QA?

One of the biggest issues with the current system is that there is so little response (I do understand that QA are busy) over 3/4 of the bugs that I reported since the release of 3.3 weren't replied to by staff. There are still lots of bugs that were reported during the 3.3 Beta that have not been fixed. I'm sorry but with the swell of support behind those bugs, some of the Exploration ones went over 15 pages of comments and reports added to the initial post, and they're still not deemed a priority enough to be fixed. Then I fail to see how letting people vote on an issue is going to make any difference at all.

How will interaction work between us and QA?

One of the biggest issues with the current system is that there is so little response (I do understand that QA are busy) over 3/4 of the bugs that I reported since the release of 3.3 weren't replied to by staff. There are still lots of bugs that were reported during the 3.3 Beta that have not been fixed. I'm sorry but with the swell of support behind those bugs, some of the Exploration ones went over 15 pages of comments and reports added to the initial post, and they're still not deemed a priority enough to be fixed. Then I fail to see how letting people vote on an issue is going to make any difference at all.

According to this:
Yes, once an issue is logged we will show whether it is acknowledged, fixed or listed as closed for other reasons.

QA will update the issue's status, so at least now we'll know if it makes sense to keep asking for a fix, giving more details, or just give up :)
Now, the whole task of keeping statuses up-to-date between internal and public trackers seems like a particularly challenging, yet boring, task. I hope they somehow automated it, or it will stop working very soon ;-) Surely, an "in progress" status would help a lot, but we'll see what we'll be given :)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
According to this:

QA will update the issue's status, so at least now we'll know if it makes sense to keep asking for a fix, giving more details, or just give up :)
Now, the whole task of keeping statuses up-to-date between internal and public trackers seems like a particularly challenging, yet boring, task. I hope they somehow automated it, or it will stop working very soon ;-) Surely, an "in progress" status would help a lot, but we'll see what we'll be given :)

Given, as you rightly pointed out, that some bugs have rumbled on for over a year (2 that I've been involved in) we shall see how it works... Some kind of tracking over and above of those 3 options is definitely required if it's to be a successful tracker.

Five issues per page? Really? ... C'mon people, this should be modern design? Please, why so huge font, massive icons, huge spaces between reports ...

I want search through last issues quickly, it means at least 20 (please do at least 10 as pure minimum) last reports per page without the need to scrolling down much or switching to new page (where I will forget what was on previous). Searching for keyword is nice, but with such limited amount of reports per page you have greatly reduced speed of searching and functionality itself. It looks nice, but this is contraproductive ... :(

I already used the new tracker to confirm something. So it obviously works.
A comment: It is in one aspect not different from the forum, namely it seems to be possible to select just a header line. Maybe it would - in the future - be more efficient, if generic report categories were offered?
So - for example: Mission Bug, Graphic Issue, Usage of a module/function, NPC behavior, ... and so on.
This would help to streamline the list a bit, and maybe would reduce merging of similar or equal issues by hand.
Just an idea - if it makes sense and is possible.

If the tracker could be somehow made to keep whitespace intact, that'd be grand. It currently seems to smash any entered text into a single continuous blob, and pasting something like an excerpt from dxdiag logs is a recipe from disaster.

Allowing some non-ASCII characters (at least t he base Latin-1 set and the bulk of cyrillic moonspeak) would make sense for the same reason since those logs are localised.

"You have 4 votes to spend on issues that you feel are important. "

Why?

Spamming them on everything doesn't help indicate any sort of priority. You get a vote back when they are done I think so you have four active ones all the time.

Spamming them on everything doesn't help indicate any sort of priority. You get a vote back when they are done I think so you have four active ones all the time.

I just find it hard to believe that spamming issue tracker votes would be enough of an issue to warrant such a strict limit. Given how slowly issues are resolved, and the number of issues that affect me personally, I'm willing to bet I'll hit that limit of 4 pretty quickly.

I just find it hard to believe that spamming issue tracker votes would be enough of an issue to warrant such a strict limit. Given how slowly issues are resolved, and the number of issues that affect me personally, I'm willing to bet I'll hit that limit of 4 pretty quickly.

The issue would be from the angry types who like to complain about everything, they'd just vote for every bug thinking it would "force the developers hand" or something equally bonkers. Where in reality by voting for everything they effectively have no vote at all and would be ignored.

The limit (I think) is to force people to actually put some thought into it.

The issue would be from the angry types who like to complain about everything, they'd just vote for every bug thinking it would "force the developers hand" or something equally bonkers. Where in reality by voting for everything they effectively have no vote at all and would be ignored.

The limit (I think) is to force people to actually put some thought into it.
I made that point in my first reply (post #2), albeit from the other direction. Time will tell, I imagine it won't be difficult to tweak the number either way.

I made that point in my first reply (post #2), albeit from the other direction. Time will tell, I imagine it won't be difficult to tweak the number either way.

If it can't gain votes then its not an important issue, which is basically the point.

People play games in the forum trying to keep threads at the top of the page or gain traction for whatever their personal bugbear is pretty much constantly, a voting system negates the loud but utterly irrelevant edge cases and allows the dev's to see what players plural think instead of just who's having a bit of a meltdown.

I am choosing to take FDev at their word, I am trusting them. Do you not trust them Stigbob? Do you think there is something wrong with people wanting the issues they consider to be important (for whatever reason) to be solved promptly?

I am choosing to take FDev at their word, I am trusting them. Do you not trust them Stigbob? Do you think there is something wrong with people wanting the issues they consider to be important (for whatever reason) to be solved promptly?

You need to show your working out on that it seems to have nothing at all to do with anything I've said.

Instead of fixed amount of 4 votes would it be able to give us for example 10% number of votes that is the number of reported bugs (so this would be 17 at the moment) - or some similar system. Because the bigger the number of reported bugs the more important would be to give us higher amount of votes.

Top Bottom