#FX17 2017 Buckyball Race (first one back gets to name their own star system!)

Wow, an "Official" Buckyball Run huh?

I'll let Bucky know.:p

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the room ... THE creator of the original Buckyball Run and an absolute legend ... Cmdr ElectricZ!!!

style-2013-idol-gatsby-dicaprio_510x250.jpg

We owe it all to you dude!

If anyone here has ever enjoyed a Buckyball race then please show some love and rep his post below.

:D

Last edited:
OK - gravity braking should work (to a greater or lesser extent) with all planets. The effect is stronger with gas giants/heavy planets and weaker with small moons. Basically, full speed from system entry towards the station (giving other bodies in your way a wide arc to avoid their "SLOW DOWN" effect). When the ETA gets down to 0:06 get ready and as soon as it drops to 0:05 zero the throttle. You should also have been paying attention to the holographic representation of the station on your HUD and have some idea of where the entrance slot is by this point. Arc around so you start heading in towards the entrance side. Since the station roughly faces the body it orbits, this approach will naturally put the body between you and the station. Keep an eye on your speed (and pay attention to the sounds of acceleration/deceleration as this gives you some terrific audio cues). If it goes back up to 0:06 accelerate again and if it drops to 0:04 while you still have a way to go, use either wild up/down pitching motions or else go into a corkscrew approach where you maintain full pitch up and use roll/yaw to keep spiralling in towards the station, to reduce your ETA back to 0:05. When you start to see the planet as more than just a dot, re-align to make sure the station is behind it and then allow your speed to pick up. Ideally (and this varies according to size/distance of planet so this is where it becomes a bit of an art form) aim to skim close by the planet (being careful not to cut inside the yellow/blue exclusion/drop zone circles) with an ETA of around 0:03. When you get past the planet (now approaching station) watch your speed. While you can still "feel" the drag of the planet keep the throttle on, as soon as you can't try to get the ETA back to around 0:05 (if it drops below then more pitching/corkscrewing to reduce it). As soon as you're 10Mm or less you can whack the throttle back to full and be ready to disengage the FSD as soon as you see the safe drop message.

Ah, I've worked out the technique. I'm not very good at it, but I'll now get out of my Beluga and test a few other ships. :D Which ship will be used on Saturday?

I've also made the pleasant discovery that you can actually chuck a Beluga around far more than its size would suggest. Can even boost into the station and pancake the pad... If I touch the boost in my Cutter anywhere near the station, I'll be saying hello to its back wall.

The Cutter or the planet?

I haven't yet broken a planet. I'm happy to try, though. So long as it earns extra points, of course...

Ah, I've worked out the technique. I'm not very good at it, but I'll now get out of my Beluga and test a few other ships. :D Which ship will be used on Saturday?
I don't think I'm giving too much away to say that the race ship we'll be using was chosen on the basis that a) it's a stone cold classic and b) commanders will have an opportunity at the show to be photographed next to a 1/3 scale replica of one. ;)

I've also made the pleasant discovery that you can actually chuck a Beluga around far more than its size would suggest. Can even boost into the station and pancake the pad... If I touch the boost in my Cutter anywhere near the station, I'll be saying hello to its back wall.
Actually Belugas have done surprisingly well in a few of our races recently. (it's not a Beluga tho).

Boy, I can see this getting ugly real fast.

https://i.imgur.com/9KcotIW.png

These guys sound like heavyweights. #FX2017 should do what they say!

ROFL ... shear class and criminal that I have no rep left to give. This folks is just a tiny taste of what made those original Buckyball Run (© Buckyball, Inc.) events so SO great. We've missed you EZ.

o7

P.S. would CMDR Smith perhaps accept some fixes to core wing beacon mechanics in lieu of said monies? Just a thought. ;)

On the other hand. I've got the cash ready to drop off.

FD all we need is space legs before FX2017 and I could walk right up to the locker and deliver the cash to Bucky. FD?

PS: I did laugh when FD announced an 'official' Buckyball Run.
a) It was an amazing gesture, and great fun move by them.
b) It's only an official Buckyball Run if EZ and Bucky are there - return tickets from Texas to Heathrow for EZ? :D

So sorry that I can't make it to FX.
I am still planning to make Lavecon next year though. :)

Suggestions for tie-breaker:
1) First to deliver at least 1t of Indi Bourbon to Lave. (If appropriate to race starting system - this race isn't going to be in Colonia, is it?)
2) How far away can you get from Lave station in 1 minute? (as with the race: Grom in 60 Seconds)

It's Expo day! Wooo Hoooo!

I don't see any harm in posting full details of the race now for anyone that wants to play along from home (no prizes for doing that but I'll post the final winning times later tonight and you can see how you did compared with the best of the expo attendees).

The race will be in a classic Cobra Mk III.

Outfitting is as follows:

• no weapons, no utlity slots
  • thrusters 4A
  • shields 3D
  • power distributor 3A
  • life support 3D
  • FSD 4A
  • sensors 3D
  • power plant 3D
  • fuel tank 3C

Coriolis URL: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/cob...LCoAwgHCMCmBDA5gG0SSVdA=&bn=FX17 Racing Cobra

The race starts at Shifnalport in Diso, goes to Lavoisier Dock in Riedquat and then back to Shifnalport. You should have two bookmarks setup for these two stations named "01 Diso / Shifnalport" and "02 Riedquat / Lavoisier Dock" (make sure to bookmark the stations and not just the systems).

Instructions:

1) make sure ship is docked at Shifnalport, fuelled and ready to fly

2) return to surface (so you're facing the right way ready to launch)

3) open the galaxy map and plot a route to bookmark "02 Riedquat / Lavoisier Dock"

4) when the race marshall says "GO" (and starts the clock) launch and fly to Lavoisier Dock

5) when you get to Lavoisier Dock, approach the front of the station (so the blue glow of the mailslot is clearly visible) then fly through the station ring, around the back of the station (so the back is clearly visible), back through the station ring and dock (remembering to request docking permission at some point)

6) select launch then open the galaxy map and plot a route back to bookmark "01 Diso / Shifnalport"

7) close the galaxy map, take off and fly back to Shifnalport

8) when you get to Shifnalport, approach the front of the station (so the blue glow of the mailslot is clearly visible) then fly through the station ring, around the back of the station (so the back is clearly visible), back through the station ring and dock (remembering to request docking permission at some point)

9) stop the clock the instant the clamps engage and the station services menu appears

I've prepared a handy instructional video (including some Buckyball tips on how to fly the course competitively).

Source: https://youtu.be/vSqb6BVj1Pw

Last edited:
It's Expo day! Wooo Hoooo!

I don't see any harm in posting full details of the race now for anyone that wants to play along from home (no prizes for doing that but I'll post the final winning times later tonight and you can see how you did compared with the best of the expo attendees).

The race will be in a classic Cobra Mk III.

Outfitting is as follows:

- no weapons, no utlity slots
- thrusters 4A
- shields 3D
- power distributor 3A
- life support 3D
- FSD 4A
- sensors 3D
- power plant 3D
- fuel tank 3C

Coriolis URL: https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/cob...LCoAwgHCMCmBDA5gG0SSVdA=&bn=FX17 Racing Cobra

The race starts at Shifnalport in Diso, goes to Lavoisier Dock in Riedquat and then back to Shifnalport. You should have two bookmarks setup for these two stations named "01 Diso / Shifnalport" and "02 Riedquat / Lavoisier Dock" (make sure to bookmark the stations and not just the systems).

Instructions:

1) make sure ship is docked at Shifnalport, fuelled and ready to fly

2) return to surface (so you're facing the right way ready to launch)

3) open the galaxy map and plot a route to bookmark "02 Riedquat / Lavoisier Dock"

4) when the race marshall says "GO" (and starts the clock) launch and fly to Lavoisier Dock

5) when you get to Lavoisier Dock, approach the front of the station (so the blue glow of the mailslot is clearly visible) then fly through the station ring, around the back of the station (so the back is clearly visible), back through the station ring and dock (remembering to request docking permission at some point)

6) select launch then open the galaxy map and plot a route back to bookmark "01 Diso / Shifnalport"

7) close the galaxy map, take off and fly back to Shifnalport

8) when you get to Shifnalport, approach the front of the station (so the blue glow of the mailslot is clearly visible) then fly through the station ring, around the back of the station (so the back is clearly visible), back through the station ring and dock (remembering to request docking permission at some point)

9) stop the clock the instant the clamps engage and the station services menu appears

I've prepared a handy instructional video (including some Buckyball tips on how to fly the course competitively).

https://youtu.be/vSqb6BVj1Pw

Just too little time for last minute practice before I set off... Nicely timed :D

I'm going to assume that imperfect drop-outs say at the back of the station means you have to go right around to the front, request docking permission, do a full loop and only then dock? Right?

Just too little time for last minute practice before I set off... Nicely timed :D

I'm going to assume that imperfect drop-outs say at the back of the station means you have to go right around to the front, request docking permission, do a full loop and only then dock? Right?

Request docking permission whenever you want, but you must be able to see the blue of the slot BEFORE you loop around the back. But hey, nobody would be such a n00b as to arrive at the back of the station ... right?

9:12 is the time to beat so far set by yours truly. I know 8:30 is possible because the time above includes a crash+spinout and being interdicted...

Darn npcs, frontier have given me a handicap! :p

So I will try to post all the final results next week. We had something like 65 entries to the race in the end so that's about 1 every 6 minutes which I'm pretty pleased with. Apologies to anyone who wanted to try the race and didn't get a chance to run.

The final winner was Mr Alex Brentnall of the Fuel Rats who, despite not being a regular competitor in Buckyball Racing, does seem to have something of a natural talent for it (and for mastering unfamiliar control bindings, which was a big problem for many people). Congratulations Alex! having also won the Lavecon 2017 Buckyball Race I think I can now safely declare you the champion of our 2017 live event series.

Alex had two runs (he wasn't alone in doing that and to be honest he would have still won even with his first time).

The times for those runs were 9:12 and then an 8:47.

Like I say, we have a spreadsheet with all the other times on it so I'll post something like the top 50 (to spare the blushes of those at the bottom) early next week hopefully.

o7

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Rarrrr, so gutted that I dropped out of SC too early before the final station on my one and only run. If I hadn't of done that I would have definitely beaten Alex's first time and if I hadn't of messed up the final docking I may have even beaten his second.

Still really good fun as always though turning up to do a race with no idea of the course and not knowing the controls, it's all part of the fun :D And a massive thanks and congratulations to Alec for being there the whole day and guiding people through their runs, you did an amazing job sir!

It'll be interesting to see where I came on the board when I used my one and only attempt at the race alongside my first ever try on the Xbox HOTAS. I think I got about 14 minutes. Most of that was fumbling inside the station, overshooting the landing pad and having to limp myself back, with my wife facepalming behind me.

Otherwise, my Supercruise flying was flawless, as was my loop around both stations.

Pretty confident I could have shaved about 4 minutes or so off if I had actually used the pad like normal.

Last edited:
Obviously people reading this thread will be biased but ... do you think having a race like this at the Expo gaming tables added to the event?

Customer satisfaction survey, let me know what you thought.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Obviously people reading this thread will be biased but ... do you think having a race like this at the Expo gaming tables added to the event?

Customer satisfaction survey, let me know what you thought.

100% Just look at two things, the amount of entries you had and how many of those people had never raced before? The prize certainly would have drawn a few in, but I think more were intrigued to try it and it helped show off another side of the game.

Top Bottom