Ships G5 sensor engineering w/o combat (I.e.: not Juri Ishmaak)?

I want to grade-5 engineer the 8D Sensors in my anaconda to reduce the weight towards increasing my jump distance. In the default list of engineers I see Juri Ishmaak, but Juri seems to want combat bonds and I’m not at all fond of combat. Do I have any options?

To provide some background:
  • I’m an elite-rank trader; ranger rank explorer; novice combat; helpless CQC
  • recently back from three years off, so a noob regarding Guardian mods and the like
  • the only engineers I have unlocked are Felicity (G5), Tod (G2), and Elvira (G1);
  • Liz, the Dweller, and Juri are on my list but still locked
  • I currently am focused on my anaconda; G5 engineered FSD and thrusters, Guardian FSD booster installed

Your other option for G5 sensors is Etienne Dorn over in the Colonia region. Otherwise the best you get is G3 at Felicity Farseer or Hera Tani.

Thanks, Orodruin! Colonia is quite a trek: I’ll look up Etienne, but off the top what do I need to unlock and ‘rank them up’ to Grade 5 permissions?

Regarding Etienne Dorn... edsm lists him as only supporting up to grade 3- is this wrong?

The Colonia engineers have been upgraded over time.

Here is the Inara page

Juri Ishmaak is a bit of a pain for a noob or returning player. You have to get the combat bonds from Conflict Zones so that means engineered NPCs that can be really quite bullet spongy so you need an engineered ship ideally to complete it. I'd recommend an Alliance Chieftain if you have to get the G5 mod and just suck up the combat. Saying that I find combat the most fun so I quite enjoyed it

Failing that from the look of the forum there's a few people offering an FC taxi service to Colonia but make sure you have been tipped off about Etienne Dorn before you go. I can't remember how you get the info on him, check Inara. The Anaconda makes a superb long range traveller too, you just need to undersize a few modules and engineer it

Just in case you decide to come to Colonia for Etienne Dorn:

Also: Mel Brandon accepts all bounties, not just from The Nameless.
We have to shoot you up if you try to get those :LOL:

Also: Mel Brandon accepts all bounties, not just from The Nameless.

I've seen conflicting posts about this, and drew the conclusion that you need either Nameless bounties, or local (Los). When I did it I used bounties from a RES right next to his base, which he accepted. I've seen others say they were not able to turn in bounties taken from nearby systems such as Colonia. Not sure what's true and you could be correct Bigmaec.

As for unlocking him, I followed C64fan's guide and it was a snap (well, not really, check my post in that thread). Highly recommended.

I've seen conflicting posts about this, and drew the conclusion that you need either Nameless bounties, or local (Los). When I did it I used bounties from a RES right next to his base, which he accepted. I've seen others say they were not able to turn in bounties taken from nearby systems such as Colonia. Not sure what's true and you could be correct Bigmaec.

As for unlocking him, I followed C64fan's guide and it was a snap (well, not really, check my post in that thread). Highly recommended.
I used random bounties from the Bubble collected using an FdL (and switched to a jumpaconda to travel to Colonia to unlock all the engineers).

I used what I had from the bubble. Just an FYI,

It is sensors you want as both Bill Turner and Lori Jameson do sensors to G5, although Lori needs Dangerous rank to unlock, but Bill only wants 50 units of Bromellite. Also Lei Cheung does them too. He needs trading in 50 markets, which as an elite trader I would hope you have done already!

I think I had traded in like 5 markets when reaching trade elite. (Void opals ...)
Well there is still Bill. I assume you wouldn’t be interested in Lori if it needs getting dangerous combat rank. Oh and you need to be allied with Allioth Independents, which is not hard to do. Dump some exploration data with them.
Oops, sorry you aren’t the OP. Still maybe he did the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom