Newcomer / Intro Galactic Plane

Not really much xp in Exploration here. The question that is coming to my mind while i'm a little away from the Bubble, is how Galactic plane looks like? It feels that more if you go high, or to the bottom, stars are kind of rarer (getting really dark, scary), and on the other hand ppl say that skies in Colonia are brighter. In a general shape, is it like close to a sphere? Or more a plate with an amount of stars under and on it? Is there any geometric thing that may just give a general idea of its form? We may compare it with circle while looking at map, but how fat that circle is? Also, this Milky Way thing that we see in the sky - that the center of the Galaxy, right? I. e. heading this direction is heading to the center, and heading the opposite direction - to the edge is true?

Like this from the side!

1653147403074.png

Colonia is on the edge of the big bulge, much higher star density there!

The milky way is our view of the galaxy, we can't actually see the center due to dust clouds in the way.

Hmm that made me thinking that i could check how our Galaxy are in Google as Fdev might be not having a reason to make it look differently. Right then, so here in the Bubble it's not that thick and in center regions you can wander futher to the bottom or to the top. My initial issue was that whenever i'm going it's just always dark, first i blamed the star in the system, but then reallized that the amount of stars around me just dropped a lot. Guess Colonia explorers complain on too much light then.

Milky way question was direction wise, as of where to go to make things brighter. Thanks. )

The milky way shape in the game isn't as pronounced as it is on the picture and the star density also works a bit differently than in the real life.
IRL, the star density is pretty constant throughout the disk, gets a bit less dense towards the edge and a little denser towards the centre. (and yes, the shape we see on the night sky is the centre)
The "shape" we usually associate with the Milky way shape (i.e. really dense and not much transparent centre and "arms" aren't actually caused by star density but by interstellar dust. The arms of the galaxy and the stars don't really have much effect on one another and the stars orbit at different speeds then the dust in the arms does, so the stars slip in and out of the arms as they orbit around.

In the game, the "thickness" of the galaxy is about 2000LY where the bubble is located and about 4-5000 at the centre and the shape of the arms is actually made by varying star density. The star density also generally goes up as you are closing on the core, but there are a lot of empty regions as well.
Don't really know if I answered anything you wanted to know, it's hard to tell which parts of your post are questions, sorry. :)

Last edited:
Completely utilitary interests actually, was dark, was scary, was trying to spot a rare greyish bacteria on a greyish ice world, also sunny day, so. P

Then thought that someone written that nights in Colonia are much brigther. From what you write though, in the Bubble i may hope for about 2k Ly high Galaxy. And it is kind of the same for a number of regions, except for those, that are less dense, and the area in the middle, which is much thicker and also with more stars apparently.

Rly not much exploration xp, maybe i don't even need the answers, could just check at some point how those closer-to-the-center regions are. )

Just noticed, first, it's kind of darkly everywhere i go over here, then, stars are actually starting to get sparse, and when in supercruise, it's much darker then i used to see. My first little steps into exploration were headed to the center regions.

Last edited:
The milky way shape in the game isn't as pronounced as it is on the picture and the star density also works a bit differently than in the real life.
IRL, the star density is pretty constant throughout the disk, gets a bit less dense towards the edge and a little denser towards the centre. (and yes, the shape we see on the night sky is the centre)
The "shape" we usually associate with the Milky way shape (i.e. really dense and not much transparent centre and "arms" aren't actually caused by star density but by interstellar dust. The arms of the galaxy and the stars don't really have much effect on one another and the stars orbit at different speeds then the dust in the arms does, so the stars slip in and out of the arms as they orbit around.
No, the most widely accepted theory states that what we see as arms are regions of the galaxy with a relative abundance of O,B stars caused by a temporary surge in stellar formation. These surges are caused as interstellar gas orbiting the galaxy enters a standing wave, independent of the galaxy's rotation, causing said gas to become compressed.

Last edited:
First attempt to see this from PC, somehow it didn't work on mobile when i saw the link to the site before. Idk if i really want to delve into it yet, before seeing things on my own, but that's bookmarked. Thanks.

Just keep in mind due to new discoveries and the static nature of the ED galaxy it won't be exactly the same as it is in the current models, that's something that can't be helped, however just looking at pictures of other spiral galaxies will help, we can't see out own from an outside perspective so any images of it are going to be generated images, and there are many different types even in spiral galaxies, bar spirals for instance only have two major arms whereas ours has four.

Read up, look at stuff, it's all interesting!

Knowing general shape i guess i'm starting to wander a little and see on my own before reading more on it. Finding out what all those colored buttons do just by pressing them is fun too, at least if it looks relatively safe. And then at some point i could read the manual.

Top Bottom