GALNET - HADRIAN DUVAL REMARKS ON ‘WEAK EMPEROR’ - 30 MAY 3309

Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval was later overheard on a direct personal call to Hadrian Augustus Duval

"Thats a very nice palace you have there. It would be a shame if anything .............. happened .. to it"

Bill

A member of the federal congress was later quoted as "what happens in the empire is no concern of ours, although I will be watching with a large box of popcorn"

This Torval discussion reminded me of this old thing I wrote two years ago that seems oddly prescient given the recent addition of Glaives.

In a grungy old bar in a distant corner of the Bubble, two men watched the broadcast with fixed eyes. Massive Thargoid Incursion!!! scrolled by constantly at the bottom of the screen, while above it showed the distant flashes of light that were the fleet battle.

They'd been watching for a few days now; it wasn't new news, but it still wasn't pleasant news. The Thargoids had suddenly invaded from beyond the Witch Head with tens of thousands of ships, smashing the local garrisons and destroying every station in their path. And they hadn't stopped; with each passing day, they pressed deeper into the bubble, leaving a glaring bubble of red on the map in their wake.

As if that wasn't bad enough, they'd attacked with the addition of an entirely new class of ship, what they were calling "HS-Class". Technically 'Heavy Scout', but in reality...well...

"Holy ****," the younger man muttered, taking a sip of his beer. "Hope they're doing okay out there."

The older man grunted.

The new ships were small and fast, but their rocky exteriors were almost impossibly durable. It took over thirty seconds of full capital ship fire to take one down, and they were so fast even getting them in your sights was nigh impossible.

"I've made up my mind," he rumbled. "I'm heading out there."

The younger man's head whipped around. "What...are you insane? This is the job for the big navy types, not us miners! We've just gotta stay out of the way, keep our heads down."

The old man grunted, "That's right...for you. You've still got a long life ahead of you. But if this goes on, there won't be much galaxy left to keep our heads down in. I've been out here mining for fourty years, galaxy won't lose much if I go. And if I can take just one of them with me? Well, all the better. "

The younger man stared at him. "I've seen that old rig of yours. You haven't got any weapons!"

The old man grinned under his beard. "Actually...I dragged these old things out of storage just for the occasion."

He passed over a data pad, which the younger man gave an incredulous look, blinked, and then double-took. "Wait...Mining Lances? How the hell? Those are exclusive tech! How'd you get your hands on those?"

"You might not believe it, but I was pretty high up in the Torval ranks, once. Fourth-tier!" he guffawed. "Ancient history, now." He stuck his tongue in his cheek thoughtfully. "Actually...well, I might not make it back. If I don't, I've got another half dozen of them tucked away in storage. Consider them yours. Might not want to use them, but they'll at least look pretty on your wall." Finishing off his drink, he rose. "Anyways, keep an eye out for me on the feed. And it was nice knowing you."

Two days later, the younger man sat alone in the bar. His eyes were fixed on the feed, hand clenched tightly around his beer. The feed never stopped; kill/death ratios displayed, mostly in glaring red, as the line was steadily pushed back.

"What's eating you, kid?" the Bartender said.

The young man just shook his head, only to freeze, mid-shake. He'd spotted the familiar name, and... "That's impossible," he muttered, brow furrowed incredulously.

The bartender glanced up at the feed, eyebrow raised. Then he smiled. "Oh hey! I know that name! So that's what you're so stressed about." he peered closer. "Wow. Three kills? Never knew he was such a dogfighter."

The young man shook his head slowly. "It has to be a glitch," he muttered, as the number ticked up from three to four. "It has to be."

The bartender shot him a surprised look. "So he's getting a few kills, so what?"

The young man shook his head, more sharply this time. "You don't get it! These new Thargoids are deadly. Anacondas are only getting a 1.5 k/d ratio against the damn things. The old man is in a keelback with - " he froze. "...mining...lances..."

His head whipped up to the feed once again, eyes wide. "Of course!" he whispered. "Why didn't we see it before!? But then...nobody would be stupid enough to try it."

His eyes flickered around, mind blazing. "They'll never believe me; they'll need proof. Which means..." His eyes widened, and he exploded to his feet and towards the door.

"Hey!" the Bartender yelled, "What about your tab!"

"I'll pay for it when I get back!" he called as he ran, "I have to go now!"

Sirens blared uselessly unto the empty vacuum of his blown cockpit as the old man stared up at the approaching Thargoids. He'd taken out dozens of the s, but eventually they'd outnumbered him, and the weary shields of his old keelback couldn't handle the ongoing assault. He snorted. Still...not a bad way to go, all things considered. He closed his eyes and waited for the end, as death slowly approached.

A blinding flash shone through his eyelids, and he opened his eyes just in time to see the approaching alien explode into shards of stone and flesh, just before a Krait Mk2 blew through the wreckage, bright blue lasers firing.

"Hey there old man!" the familiar voice called over the coms.

"The hell!? I told you to stay out of this!" The old man said gruffly, his voice catching as he watched the ship obliterate the remaining damaged thargoid ships with ease.

"I know, I know. But you've got a flight recorder that the top brass need to see." The Krait ship slowed to a halt above him. "You and your damn mining lances," the young man said, voice cracking. "Only as big an idiot as you would actually try it."

The old man's brow furrowed. "Mining lances? But...oh!" his eyes widened.

"Exactly! The damn things are shielded with a few feet of rock! Only mining lasers are gonna get through that, but who the hell is gonna bring mining lasers into a war zone?"

The Krait slowly lowered until it latched onto the disabled keelback. "Come on, old man. Lets save the bloody universe."

Last edited:
Hadrian Duval Remarks on ‘Weak Emperor’

GALNET

HADRIAN DUVAL REMARKS ON ‘WEAK EMPEROR’​

30 MAY 3309
An interview with Hadrian Augustus Duval has caused ripples in Imperial society for his direct criticism of Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval.
Speaking to Paresa News Network, the former Nova Imperium leader discussed the Empire’s commitment to Aegis:
“I have always known that the Empire is stronger alone, especially when protecting our people from the Thargoid hordes. Supposedly, Emperor Arissa felt the same – until a visit from Princess Aisling turned her head. Suddenly her principles were cast aside, and our valuable resources pledged to more foreign military projects.”
“I can only wonder when the Emperor became so easily swayed. Was it during her year in captivity? Did all that time in suspended animation drain her resolve? We cannot afford to allow the Empire to be governed by someone with a weak spirit. Our citizens deserve a strong, determined ruler.”
Gudrun Vestergaard, royal correspondent for The Imperial Herald, commented:
“The anticipated friction between the Duval cousins has now become a reality. Hadrian clearly took great offence at how swiftly Aisling engineered an exception to the Empire’s isolationist policies. But openly denigrating Her Majesty is a dangerous game, especially from the young revolutionary who once attempted to usurp her throne.”
“Meanwhile, Princess Aisling has thrown herself into the role of overseeing the Imperial contribution to Aegis. Court insiders claim that she spends much of her time with military experts, absorbing information about the Thargoid conflict. Regularly communications with her opposite numbers in the Alliance and Federation have become part of the daily routine. Some still see this as a high-profile PR exercise on her part, but others wonder if Aisling might become the wartime leader the Empire needs. Skeptics who believe she lacks the strategic talents necessary to succeed may yet find themselves surprised by her apparent enthusiasm for Aegis’s work.”
What a beautiful planet/city. A shame they’re not in the game

The thread has now been locked.

Paul can you reset the list of requirements for accessing the Maw, we've been rumbled.

The problem with cooperation is it requires trust. Imperials have very little reason to trust the Federation, after all the stuff that Hudson has pulled over the years.

As far as Aisling as a war leader is concerned, I'm sure she would very much like that, given that she doesn't have much in the way of military herself. But I struggle to see why anyone would give it to her. She's young and inexperienced, and probably the last person who should be determining wartime policy.
Wasn't it because she's practically the only imperial bigshot who was willing to get up her derriere and do something about the thargoid war?

Even though you lost in all your previous adventures, I always supported you. But you're wrong this time, Hadrian.

The more we cooperate, the better chance we have of countering.

Yes, the feds are unreliable, but if we're alone, we'll be hunted one by one.

Now please shut up and prepare for your child's future.

I'd fight for Hadrian again in a potential anti-Hadrian CG, but he's totally wrong in this view...

Last edited:
Meanwhile I’m sitting here all “Who with common sense thinks that the best plan in the face of potential extinction is to isolate from everyone else?”…

Then I remember the Imperial isolationists don’t seem to have much common sense. No offense.
None taken, but I would have preferred isolation as an obstacle to insane schemes like the invasion of Witch Head or the Proteus Wave. It came too late for those, and has stopped again just in time for whatever response Aegis deems best against the Titans.

So the question now is if we can trust the "new" Aegis more than we could the old. The recent speech doesn't have me convinced, but we'll see.

None taken, but I would have preferred isolation as an obstacle to insane schemes like the invasion of Witch Head or the Proteus Wave. It came too late for those, and has stopped again just in time for whatever response Aegis deems best against the Titans.

So the question now is if we can trust the "new" Aegis more than we could the old. The recent speech doesn't have me convinced, but we'll see.
I mean, perfectly acceptable behavior prior to the Thargoids deciding to come and stomp some human heads(figuratively speaking), but not so convinced now.

And I’m hoping Tesreau keeps things sensible - unlike Azimuth and their megalomaniac quest to wipe out a species that makes us look like toddlers - but I suppose it doesn’t hurt to have some healthy skepticism.

Meanwhile I’m sitting here all “Who with common sense thinks that the best plan in the face of potential extinction is to isolate from everyone else?”…

Then I remember the Imperial isolationists don’t seem to have much common sense. No offense.
Well, concentrating your available resources to be optimally used to protect a smaller amount of people can be more effective than trying to cooperate with multitudes of other forces (many of which cannot really be trusted) and spread your resources thin trying to protect everybody in a haphazard untrained rickety alliance with other forces that obey other governments than your own and may or may not cooperate in an effective manner. Organizing an enormous army is hard enough even when they are under the same government, not to talk about said army being split among many governments trying to agree and cooperate.

Well, concentrating your available resources to be optimally used to protect a smaller amount of people can be more effective than trying to cooperate with multitudes of other forces (many of which cannot really be trusted) and spread your resources thin trying to protect everybody in a haphazard untrained rickety alliance with other forces that obey other governments than your own and may or may not cooperate in an effective manner. Organizing an enormous army is hard enough even when they are under the same government, not to talk about said army being split among many governments trying to agree and cooperate.
If that was the reasoning, maybe I’d have agreed, but it often feels like the “We’re stronger alone” statement is just spouted out in ‘Imperial pride’ than with any real thought behind it.

Remember that thing which happened in HIP 22460? Ignoring that it was a horrific failure - which had nothing to do with the fact that all three superpowers were collaborating - it shows that it’s possible and perhaps beneficial.

Doesn’t need to be military cooperation exclusively, but research projects too… now guess what Aegis is doing.

What the Imps do outside of the war… well, they can stay isolated in their corner of the Bubble all they want so long as it doesn’t cause wider stability issues for society. Not that I’m very fond of their whole culture regardless, but I guess that’s why I never cared to pledge my allegiance to them. (Or any of the supes but you know)

Top Bottom