Game crashing very frequently

Is there a crashlog I can vew to see why my game is continually crashing for some reason. I took a break from the game for about a month and have experienced maybe 3 crashes in over 2

this is a totally random guess, but i've found multiple times, after updates,
that lowering planet-rendering, ship draw-distance, and the more advanced light-effects, often reduced overloads.

a lot of programs are bad at / don't even TRY, to estimate if you'd get crashes from overloading/CPU drag, when you turn multiple rendering options on, or, the difference between your own system, and some unknown-bench-testing average,.. doesn't end up remotely like what your individual system, might or might not have / do / have the capacity to do... etc.

it's worth a try, since you can then experiment turning things back on, or slowly increasing BACK up... instead of trying to guess at which one, one by one, especially if your settings don't get changed properly from the crash!

it might look crap when you start again, but you can at least get MOST of them back on/up-again, if it was only one of them being too much.
a bit like saying if you take a handful of straws off the camel's back per the 'last-straw', metaphor, you can consider which you want back on, in being able to get a bit of an idea which will and which won't... also be OTHER, last-straws-that-will,... rather than not-knowing, which it is you currently have on, that one-at-a-time, do not get it going again.

why?

simply because there might be MORE THAN ONE, preventing it from running smoothly.

if you take more off than you think you need, at least you can test them ONE AT A TIME, as you add them, one at a time, to see if individually, they cause problems.

:)

Welp, I found out why the game was crashing. I've been "running out of memory". Even though my memory usage is less than 30% with everything running. It seems that chrome, ED, or discord (or a combination of them) is requesting a large block of memory while running even though the program isn't "using it". I have never run a swap file with the 960pro SSD (and never had a problem until now) but it seems because physical memory becomes fragmented over time, one of these programs is requesting a contiguous block of memory and it's just not there as one large addressable chunk. So I've had to enable my swap file again. Which isn't a big deal at all. Hope this thread helps someone else out!

mmmmmmmmm

Well, Chrome is said to eat memory at a prodigious rate...

It's not that though, actual usage stays below 30%, but one of the apps is trying to reserve a block of continuous memory. Even though there's lots of memory it wants one chunk all together. And it's just not there as it's fragmented.

a lot of programs are bad at / don't even TRY, to estimate if you'd get crashes from overloading/CPU drag

On a properly configured system that is reasonably stable, there shouldn't be any such thing.

Welp, I found out why the game was crashing. I've been "running out of memory". Even though my memory usage is less than 30% with everything running. It seems that chrome, ED, or discord (or a combination of them) is requesting a large block of memory while running even though the program isn't "using it". I have never run a swap file with the 960pro SSD (and never had a problem until now) but it seems because physical memory becomes fragmented over time, one of these programs is requesting a contiguous block of memory and it's just not there as one large addressable chunk. So I've had to enable my swap file again. Which isn't a big deal at all. Hope this thread helps someone else out!

A swap file, even if nothing is ever actually paged out to it, is quite important for memory management purposes.

hmm, might turning off the pre-shading cache, reduce the overall amount loaded, ready-to-go?

it might mean longer times waiting for things to load before you can enter a area, or higher CPU usage?

that might only a little bit tho,.. the game's main expected 'space' needed, is the big one,.. but if you're ealy tight, and windows only needs a little more not-used by the game, the additional might just make space enough for both, so-to speak.

does it crash WHEN that pre-shading step, is happening during the starting of the program, coincidentally?
if so, then this could be much more likely to help. i had that problem for a while, and only noticed after a few additional, TRYING, to observe when it happens, what error codes appear, etc, restarts rather than just noticing for the first few times,... when deliberately trying to notice things, i mean...

that i noticed it was happening at the same point during the steps of starting, of loading.

hadn't been thinking i'd need to pay attention to when, until turning off pre-shading became an option.

as it turned out, i was able to re-turn pre-shading back on, after lowering other settings, and knowing i could turn it off again to lower them enough to be able to get into the menu, to lower other settings even lower, and then try again, etc.

Last edited:
hmm, might turning off the pre-shading cache, reduce the overall amount loaded, ready-to-go?

it might mean longer times waiting for things to load before you can enter a area, or higher CPU usage?
thank you for the reply however it is already been solved as my swap file was disabled. I did not have a problem previously playing Elite dangerous without a swap file however something has changed on either my PC or one of the programs I use within the last 2 months. However everything is great now and no crashes in over 24 hours.

Same annoying thing.
My PC client crash every time when I login. PC absolutly normal and work great in stress tests. Elite just crash from time to time.
I play Elite after update like a: update day - crashes everytime, next day - from time to time, third day to april 27 - no crashes, evening - crashes like a...
Probably it caused by EnchansedSync, because all what I change was it.

Top Bottom