Game doesn't start - ask for update(steam)

What a mess...

[UPDATE]
Still have the issue (April 18), even verifying the files from steam client.
The game runs if I run directly the EDLaunch.exe in the game directory.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:
me too.

initially a very quick update happened, the process for which in the steam program/window, itself worked fine,

but then immediately and ever since, i've got nothing but the same, in-front pop-up in the launcher, but no actions by steam, windows, nor the validate-files process via the steam-function, since it sometimes stimulates updates if it notices DURING its check, if the version is out of date (this is a way of getting an external sys at steam, to check your version, i think - only sometimes works for me - no guarantee ).

-------------

i've since tried many things ;

clearing both steam caches,
windows services on, that i'd normally keep prevented from opening,
windows update checked, firewall/virus-software updated,

steam-client update checked,.. nnnope. that wasn't it.
steam directories repair-checked, nnnope, didn't need any repaired.

rebooted a few times, throughout all of this, of course,
RE-cleared the caches after the windows update,.. didn't cause any new behaviours,..

pfff...

HHD errors checking checked, spare-space on C checked,..
nope. nothing.

--------------

might a STEP, that's normally done before a larger update, have been neglected / not done inbetween now, and the 23rd update?

well that's great... some ppl with what... compatibility differences, or run-time environment differences,..
... we are shut out until then ?

how can we possibly guess at what isn't quite fitting right / matching up with TEMPORARY needs?

agh. if so,.. please don't make little changes to consistent runs with a version that you've had working for months, just before a larger update, since it's "only a few days" , or "only a week or two" or something.

------------

especially, if it's in relation to changes about the installation , or of functions in&out of steam.

why? because sigh benchtesting with whatever you've made of the main exe of the game, might be able to be assumed mostly-going-to behave the same on most's systems,..

but things like windows-config environment functions, will NOT, be like what you've had of a default windows-installation when running a benchtest with a temporary version of the game exe.

most/at-least-many, have customised, cropped, batch-file-barred, windows-services-removed,.. 3rd party programs preventing changes to windows out of date....

etc, etc .... COMBINATIONS, of different parts of windows, creating very different, exe-runtime environments, when it will only be able to be ATTEMPTED, to run, be TRIED, to be executed.

------------

its one thing to say that everyone should have a default version of windows, of a hypothetical IDEAL world,..

its another, to HONESTLY say that you think we all do.

we don't.

steam's & especially window's 'modern' lack of error-messages, is not your fault Frontier,
but on the other hand, it is logical/reasonable to assume, that SINCE we're not getting many anymore, that it is also, MORE likely that we won't be able to know what's wrong, WHEN, we're not getting them.

(!#%^(#%(!^#% dammit Microsoft... why did you GO SOFT,.. when only some, of your customers wanted less error messages back in the 90s?
none, or almost none, is not ... " less "

less became almost none,

almost none became... "the customers have enjoyed not having any problems"
when then not KNOWING, what problems one had, such as if you go through full windows error-checking pursuals of individual component (unexpected) stops, and software-subsystem error-message checking, one is basically being KEPT BLIND, rather than not "having any".

sometimes it doesn't matter, other times it does.

-------------

its not easy to have your pre-release programmers, try to only IMAGINE, how every line could interact with different combinations of windows configurations,..

but its ALSO TRUE, to say,
that simply ;
because people will NOT, have only-default settings, that it is UNREASONABLE TO EXPECT that releasing things based on benchtesting with the only-a-default-settings temporary installations of windows,.. should match,... with what we've actually got.

someone not having what is in a default-installation of windows,
is not exceptionally-wrong,.. it's USUALLY-wrong.

the how-much, is exaggerated.

----------------

we don't (or at least not all of us ) underestimate how difficult it would be to try to anticipate everything... if not impossible.

but on the other hand, you could try getting used to WHICH sub-components combine problematically often,
or patterns of windows-configuration situations, start to BECOME A PATTERN, after particular types of updates.

so like...

hey! why is that when we do a minor tweak to instance-matchmaking code, we end up getting 250 complaints by people who have both uPNP , AND cloud computing on in steam, but its never uPNP users who don't use clouds?

(that's just a hypothetical, im not saying that's something that actually happens)

and someone else then goes...

hmm... yeah... we do get a few... have you found a pattern in the types of problems ppl are having, ooo well done, you're in charge of working it out... ask whoever you need, to find out WHERE, and WHAT,.. is combing...

and then they give it a go.

it sounds like something that perhaps you should not have to be doing,

but on the other hand, how much time/customers could it SAVE?

----------------

what's easier... employing 25 people, to read 5000 emails, all with a similar problem, and all not being able to be given useful advice,..

but the COST, of employing 25 instead of 10...

were the cost of 15's worth, spent on a few highly skilled problem-CAUSE identifyers...
effectively preventing the NEED, to have to send out, 5000 responses to 5000 complaints.

if you only ended up with 750, or maybe 1250, out of 5000,

that's a LOT, saved. of TIME, PAID-time,.. that is.

sigh
it can seem like it'd be expensive, since the per-rate of the individual is so much higher than low-end / common staff...

but sometimes the quantity saved, if a persistent SOURCE of incompatability, doesn't just cause one problem, it causes three, 5, 10, 15,.. as you go along,..

you effectively prevent problems happening from something you MISSED, years ago...
from continuing to happen, in an incremental sense.

not applying band-aids, is another way of saying that.
band-aids can get expensive, by quantity-needed, the more and more and more systematic/compatibility problems, get left-unidentified.

I'm having similar issues, though since Thursday last week. I actually "fixed" it by installing the launcher, copying the files across into the SteamApps directory and then running the update from there (then uninstalling the launcher), but after today's update it's not updating via Steam again and I'm sort of ready to give up (slash, given that the update method for the original launcher seems to be to reinstall it, I really don't want to have to do that every time an update is released).

I've now clean-installed twice, waited days (including reboots, Steam restarts, etc) with download priority on high (which I really don't think should be a suggested solution when I've clean-installed), tried flipping it to high-priority and restarting everything, tried grabbing the up-to-date launcher files from an install (which breaks after the next update - joy).

Launcher is still stuck on 0.4.5064.200 by default after a clean-install from Steam, or waiting days with it set to High-Priority download.

Any suggestions, anyone? I was quite looking forward to getting back into Elite after getting a new HOTAS, but it seems like I'll not manage at this rate.

Last edited:
Open steam, click in library of games and executes Elite Dangerous Horizonts, in the screen that opens you give to play and starts the game.

Go into Steam right click Elite Dangerous, choose properties. Local files, Verify integrity of game files. Worked for me.
That was the first thing I tried - no dice. The workaround of launching "Elite Dangerous Horizons" is only good if you actually want to play Horizons - if you want/need to play non-Horizons for some reason then no dice. The only thing that I've found works is to directly start the launcher outside of Steam's control.
The issue definitely warrants a permanent fix however!

Still have the issue, even verifying the files from steam client.
The game runs if I run directly the EDLaunch.exe in the game directory.

Same problem here, when launched from the desktop shortcut the "update" window pops up in front of the launcher...
Launching from the Steam games sidebar works but the launcher is kind of empty, no way to change E: D / Horizons at any time...
Launching right out of the directory works also...

BUT... this can't be the way, definitely not ! The hiccup seems to be somewhere in Steams desktop link and the related "rungameid xxx" and whether Steam or FD should fix this selfmade issue ! The desktop link worked fine for years so what's up ??

It's definitely not gamebreaking but simply annoying and unnecessary

Same here, been working on this for hours! I followed all the steps, but can only launch some Demo v1.0.0 from steam
Steam VR version just gives me that update problem. I think the issue is the last line in that screen "THERE MAY BE A LONG TIME BEFORE WE MANUALLY ACTUALLY SEND STEAM YOUR GAME FILE, BECAUSE NOBODY AT FRONTIER WANTS TO GO OVER AND CLICK 'OK' TO THOSE REQUESTS"

I got mine to work finally. After you get stuck with the update splash screen (once you get that far in the installation process), what I had to do was:
Got into My Account at frontiers site.
Enter in a billing address into your details. This will allow another option to become useable in the My Account list on the left
I forget what its called, lol, but it is to input third party keys. Then enter all the keys from the Elite Dangerous Game in your library list inside of STEAM.
(right click ED, choose view keys. I had three keys there, copy and paste each one into the Frontier - My Account - 3rd party or whatever its called and submit each one.
Now, when you launch ED from steam, it works!

"THERE MAY BE A LONG TIME BEFORE WE MANUALLY ACTUALLY SEND STEAM YOUR GAME FILE, BECAUSE NOBODY AT FRONTIER WANTS TO GO OVER AND CLICK 'OK' TO THOSE REQUESTS"
probably down to the low tier amazon ec2 servers fd hires to run this game...…. then them clicking ok tbh
probably the most expensive game per gig of hard diskdata I have too (which does suggest its actual playable varying content other than doing the same things over and over again)

Last edited:
If I execute from the steam library and select to start up Horizons, it works perfectly, but if I don't select anything or play form the start menu, it doesn't.

Give it a try, start from the directory and select E: D (non horizons). The "Play" button should switch to "Upgrade" and a mysterious update will be downloaded and installed.
After finishing the upgrade on E: D the launcher should behave nearly as before, except you will be auto logged in no matter what you may try to prevent that.

It's a solution from Cdr. RexKraemer, so kudos to him… ;)

Last edited:
I tried a lot of the previous solutions, but the only thing that worked for me was running the launcher directly, rather than though steam.
For this solution ..

1. Go to your install location ( eg (YOUR DISK)\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous)
2. in there you will find EDLaunch.exe. Run it.
3. Log into your elite dangerous frontier account.
4. you should now be able to upgrade.

Good Luck and fly safe CMDR o7

This is a major issue for those of us with Odyssey, as steam doesn't know we own it, so doesn't update it. What complete idiot thought blocking the launcher from updating a game, it's responsible for updating, is beyond me.

Frontier, can you remove the block from the launcher and just allow us to update the game. As Elite Dangerous and Horizons are up to date, I should not be blocked from starting those versions ever. This is an absolutly stupid situation you've put yourself in, so please fix this ASAP.

Top Bottom