ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Greetings Commanders,

The Gamescom Fleet Carrier Reveal was such an exciting moment for us, and after reading through your feedback, we can see that it was also exciting for you! We wanted to take this opportunity to answer some of your questions, keeping in mind that we will be revealing more about Fleet Carriers, closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers jump on the Thursday Server tick?
Fleet Carriers will not be restricted to the Thursday server tick in order to jump.

Can you clarify what 'unique' resources are?
It will be a new commodity, which can be mined or bought from certain starports. We will be exploring this in more detail in a future livestream closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers be bought with Arx?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be purchasable with Arx.

Can we customise our Carriers?
Yes, Fleet Carriers can be customised, but this is something we are going to be looking at in livestreams closer to the Decembers Update's launch.

Can Squadron members contribute to the cost?
The cost for a Fleet Carrier will come from the single commander who owns the carrier. Squadron members will not be able to contribute.

Is the Fleet Carrier restricted to the 'Bubble'?
Fleet Carriers can be purchased from certain systems and can travel outside of 'Human Space', providing they have the fuel to do so.

Where can I buy Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers are purchased from certain systems, which we will look further into during our 'deeper dive' livestream.

Do Fleet Carriers work in Solo?
Fleet Carriers will work and operate in all game modes, so Open, Solo, and Private Groups.

Are Fleet Carriers destructible, and can they defend themselves?
Fleet Carriers are not destructible, but they can defend themselves and other nearby ships.

Do the loadouts have a practical effect in-game?
We will be delving deeper into loadouts, and Support Vessels in later livestreams.

Can you sell Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers can be scrapped, however, it will be for fewer credits than the original purchase amount.

Will a commanders Fleet Carriers persist when logging in and out?
Fleet Carriers are persistent and will remain in the game regardless of whether or not the owner is online.

Can you change the type of carrier you have?
The 'type' of Fleet Carrier that you have is determined by the Support Vessel assigned to it, which in turn, determines its loadout. As mentioned above, this is something we will be talking about in a future stream.

Can Fleet Carriers jump into permit-locked systems?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be able to jump into permit-locked systems.

We hope this gives you an initial insight into Fleet Carriers. Do keep in mind that Fleet Carriers will be released in the December Update, and we will be showing off more about them in livestreams and forum posts closer to its launch. Thank you all for your feedback and questions, and we can't wait to reveal more as time goes on.

Ship transfer question? Can you you clarify that mechanic?

Greetings Commanders,

The Gamescom Fleet Carrier Reveal was such an exciting moment for us, and after reading through your feedback, we can see that it was also exciting for you! We wanted to take this opportunity to answer some of your questions, keeping in mind that we will be revealing more about Fleet Carriers, closer to the December Update.

Fleet Carriers will not be restricted to the Thursday server tick in order to jump.

Can you clarify what 'unique' resources are?
It will be a new commodity, which can be mined or bought from certain starports. We will be exploring this in more detail in a future livestream closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers be bought with Arx?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be purchasable with Arx.

Can we customise our Carriers?
Yes, Fleet Carriers can be customised, but this is something we are going to be looking at in livestreams closer to the Decembers Update's launch.

Can Squadron members contribute to the cost?
The cost for a Fleet Carrier will come from the single commander who owns the carrier. Squadron members will not be able to contribute.

Is the Fleet Carrier restricted to the 'Bubble'?
Fleet Carriers can be purchased from certain systems and can travel outside of 'Human Space', providing they have the fuel to do so.

Where can I buy Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers are purchased from certain systems, which we will look further into during our 'deeper dive' livestream.

Do Fleet Carriers work in Solo?
Fleet Carriers will work and operate in all game modes, so Open, Solo, and Private Groups.

Are Fleet Carriers destructible, and can they defend themselves?
Fleet Carriers are not destructible, but they can defend themselves and other nearby ships.

Do the loadouts have a practical effect in-game?
We will be delving deeper into loadouts, and Support Vessels in later livestreams.

Can you sell Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers can be scrapped, however, it will be for fewer credits than the original purchase amount.

Will a commanders Fleet Carriers persist when logging in and out?
Fleet Carriers are persistent and will remain in the game regardless of whether or not the owner is online.

Can you change the type of carrier you have?
The 'type' of Fleet Carrier that you have is determined by the Support Vessel assigned to it, which in turn, determines its loadout. As mentioned above, this is something we will be talking about in a future stream.

Can Fleet Carriers jump into permit-locked systems?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be able to jump into permit-locked systems.

We hope this gives you an initial insight into Fleet Carriers. Do keep in mind that Fleet Carriers will be released in the December Update, and we will be showing off more about them in livestreams and forum posts closer to its launch. Thank you all for your feedback and questions, and we can't wait to reveal more as time goes on.
The single most important question on many people's mind right now is the ship transfer feature or lack thereof, which you didn't cover in this list here. Otherwise this answers most of the others.

The single most important question on many people's mind right now is the ship transfer feature or lack thereof, which you didn't cover in this list here. Otherwise this answers most of the others.

I almost feel trolled regarding the lack of addressing this.

On the other hand, jump on demand closer to effectively confirmed (no server tick but could still be a cooldown). So I can put down that specific pitch fork.

I almost feel trolled regarding the lack of addressing this.

On the other hand, jump on demand closer to effectively confirmed (no server tick but could still be a cooldown). So I can put down that specific pitch fork.

I feel trolled too by this but most likely they stopped looking at this thread long before that question came up so it just didn't make the cut. Them no longer reading the thread is a whole nother problem.

I've had a foreboding thought .... Shipyards and ship transfer has not been mentioned by Frontier (someone please correct me if they have mentioned it)
AND given Frontier's track record of features aimed at encouraging players to play together (for a given value of "together")

I seriously am starting to think that the Fleet Carriers WON'T have ship transfer. You own one, you dock with it, you manage it from the cockpit of the ship you docked in ....
But putting your other ships on the carrier, NOPE.

Feel free to doubt me and disagree and argue all you want, but it's the sort of thing Frontier would do, introduce a feature and then mess it up royally somehow.
(P.S. Frontier, please feel free to comment and prove me wrong.)

EDIT: I should probably note that "Frontier royally messing it up" is entirely an opinion, and I accept other's and Frontier's opinions will be that Frontier have not messed it up, and that's Ok.
I agree. FDev have a well-earned reputation for screwing up new features (multi-pew, Full Spectrum Scanner, etc) and this is no different. What I hate most though is that they have once again released a flashy video that tells us nothing, leading to endless speculation and then try and react to the forum opinions in the design before release, always limited by the existing, 1980s style modular design of the game engine.

Having read - and contributed to - this entire thread, I still have the same sinking feeling I've had with most (not all) of FDev's other 'new' features designed to increase multi-play, in their attempt to turn ED - potentially such a great game/simulation - into some sort of half-hearted social media platform.

Personally, after nearly 2,000 in game hours, I feel fleet carriers will be another disaster.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks, Stephen.

It's certainly whetted my appetite to know more.

Can you give an inkling of when the deep dive stream might take place?

Why the departure from the squadron framework promoted as such a major part of 3.3? I see nothing in here that ties these carriers to squadrons. How will Frontier handle the balance concerns that allowing any individual commander to purchase a fleet carrier will inevitably create?

I have to say: I feel that Frontier are turning something that should be a special achievement for squadrons into something that will instead quickly become incredibly common and decidedly less-than-special accordingly.

Dfx9Awz.jpg

I agree. FDev have a well-earned reputation for screwing up new features (multi-pew, Full Spectrum Scanner, etc) and this is no different. What I hate most though is that they have once again released a flashy video that tells us nothing, leading to endless speculation and then try and react to the forum opinions in the design before release, always limited by the existing, 1980s style modular design of the game engine.

Having read - and contributed to - this entire thread, I still have the same sinking feeling I've had with most (not all) of FDev's other 'new' features designed to increase multi-play, in their attempt to turn ED - potentially such a great game/simulation - into some sort of half-hearted social media platform.

Personally, after nearly 2,000 in game hours, I feel fleet carriers will be another disaster.

I really hope I'm wrong.

They're called "Fleet Carriers". Also one of the pictures mentions modules/ships available on it will depend on the loadout you choose.

So, what exactly makes you think that there would be no ship transfer and that the fleet carriers would not carry any fleet ?

Why the departure from the squadron framework promoted as such a major part of 3.3? I see nothing in here that ties these carriers to squadrons. How will Frontier handle the balance concerns that allowing any individual commander to purchase a fleet carrier will inevitably create?

I have to say: I feel that Frontier are turning something that should be a special achievement for squadrons into something that will instead quickly become incredibly common and decidedly less-than-special accordingly.

HARD disagree there.

As explained by them already, I don't see how carriers create any balance issues at all.

I really hope I'm wrong.
Phew,thank God for that,for a while there i was getting the impression we weren't doomed!
Thank you for confirming we in fact are (y)

They're called "Fleet Carriers". Also one of the pictures mentions modules/ships available on it will depend on the loadout you choose.

So, what exactly makes you think that there would be no ship transfer and that the fleet carriers would not carry any fleet ?

Other CMDR's ships landing on it would make it a Fleet Carrier and FD hasn't mentioned transfer mechanics for FC's, so in that sense we can have FC's without being able to have more than a single 1 of your ships there. It's a valid question given FD's history.

Other CMDR's ships landing on it would make it a Fleet Carrier and FD hasn't mentioned transfer mechanics for FC's, so in that sense we can have FC's without being able to have more than a single 1 of your ships there. It's a valid question given FD's history.

It will have a shipyard depending on the loadout you choose, as mentioned in the picture. So there's no reason to think it will have not have ship transfer, like any station with a shipyard currently has, as in most ways they're gonna act like mobile stations.

Edit : Basically they're gonna be like an evolution of the Gnosis (which probably served as a way for Fdev to test a lot of stuff). And the gnosis is like a station regarding everything (so if it has a shipyard, ship transfer will be a thing).

It will have a shipyard depending on the loadout you choose, as mentioned in the picture. So there's no reason to think it will have not have ship transfer, like any station with a shipyard currently has, as in most ways they're gonna act like mobile stations.

The pic doesn't actually say shipyard, but even if it did I don't think you can know for sure the transfer mechanics with FD having not yet detailed them.

I feel trolled too by this but most likely they stopped looking at this thread long before that question came up so it just didn't make the cut. Them no longer reading the thread is a whole nother problem.
It came up almost straight away. They've chosen not to answer - maybe it depends on the Support Vessel in some way, as they seem to be keeping tight-lipped about that area in the answers 🤷‍♀️

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom