Ganked for the first time.... Looking for a group to fly with.

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm relatively new to the game, the little bit of money I've made has mostly been through exploration. My highest rank is Ranger in exploration, I'm competent in combat and if I remember correctly I'm a merchant in trade. I'm mostly a peaceful player, aside from the occasional bounty hunting/PVE If I see another random commander I usually try to add them as a friend since I think it's kind of cool to see them since I usually don't see them too often. However, I had my first bad player experience today.

I had flown to the Maia system all the way from LHS 3295, carefully scanning systems along the way and scanning many planets. This went relatively well. I sold some cartographic data and made a couple million credits. After I got to the Maia system I bought some Meta-Alloys to take to Felicity Farseer over in the Deciat system.

I flew for probably 2 hours, collecting data and scanning planets on the way to my destination. Eventually I reached my destination with my cargo in hand and my data ready to be sold. I was pretty happy since I was looking forward to trying my hand at engineering for the first time. Unfortunately for some reason I didn't think that the system would be full of hostile players (I guess that was a little naive on my part since I'm relatively new). I get to the system and I am interdicted right off the bat. To my horror I realized I was being attacked by a player but luckily managed to frame shift out even if I was barely alive.
So I continue to my destination only to be interdicted again (not sure if it was the same player or another one). At this point I'm not really fighting back since I'm just in a diamondback explorer and I'm just trying to get out alive. I end up being destroyed, all of my data and cargo lost. The worst part is they didn't even want my cargo, they just wanted to ruin my night by destroying my ship.

Now I'm thinking about security. I wish I didn't have to think like this, I really wish that players would be friendly to one another but unfortunately I guess the game doesn't work that way.

So I'm here to ask, what are some good player factions to join that I can fly with? I'm not looking to gank other players but I'm looking for a defensive faction with other players who can help each other out in a time of need. Maybe a group that I can form a wing with so I can at least go to some populated systems without having to worry about getting destroyed by jerks who just want to ruin someone else's day.

I'm new but if any faction would accept me I'd be very happy if they'd be willing to help me out as a new player. I'm willing to learn and willing to help any way I can even if I am still kind of a noob. I really just want some wing mates to fly with since there is at least security in numbers.

I'm not really sure what else to say but I thought I'd tell my story in the hopes that there is a faction out there who might want to fly with me. o7 Commanders.

Well...there is a point in the game, where anybody gets to know the universe is "dangerous". As f.e. here, oder here, you can also meet people at those rather dangerous sites, like at the engineers asf.

What I have learned: don't fly paper-builds in open. Always be aware of human players, always suppose them to be dangerous. Prepare to be interdicted, prepare to highwake, use good shielding and fast thusters (even if they cost you some jumprange).

Or do not play in open at dangerous places...

In fact: as I am definately no PVP-player, my ship-build right now makes most of human players highwake when we meet. So, do not show people that you are an easy target.

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm relatively new to the game, the little bit of money I've made has mostly been through exploration. My highest rank is Ranger in exploration, I'm competent in combat and if I remember correctly I'm a merchant in trade. I'm mostly a peaceful player, aside from the occasional bounty hunting/PVE If I see another random commander I usually try to add them as a friend since I think it's kind of cool to see them since I usually don't see them too often. However, I had my first bad player experience today.

I had flown to the Maia system all the way from LHS 3295, carefully scanning systems along the way and scanning many planets. This went relatively well. I sold some cartographic data and made a couple million credits. After I got to the Maia system I bought some Meta-Alloys to take to Felicity Farseer over in the Deciat system.

I flew for probably 2 hours, collecting data and scanning planets on the way to my destination. Eventually I reached my destination with my cargo in hand and my data ready to be sold. I was pretty happy since I was looking forward to trying my hand at engineering for the first time. Unfortunately for some reason I didn't think that the system would be full of hostile players (I guess that was a little naive on my part since I'm relatively new). I get to the system and I am interdicted right off the bat. To my horror I realized I was being attacked by a player but luckily managed to frame shift out even if I was barely alive.
So I continue to my destination only to be interdicted again (not sure if it was the same player or another one). At this point I'm not really fighting back since I'm just in a diamondback explorer and I'm just trying to get out alive. I end up being destroyed, all of my data and cargo lost. The worst part is they didn't even want my cargo, they just wanted to ruin my night by destroying my ship.

Now I'm thinking about security. I wish I didn't have to think like this, I really wish that players would be friendly to one another but unfortunately I guess the game doesn't work that way.

So I'm here to ask, what are some good player factions to join that I can fly with? I'm not looking to gank other players but I'm looking for a defensive faction with other players who can help each other out in a time of need. Maybe a group that I can form a wing with so I can at least go to some populated systems without having to worry about getting destroyed by jerks who just want to ruin someone else's day.

I'm new but if any faction would accept me I'd be very happy if they'd be willing to help me out as a new player. I'm willing to learn and willing to help any way I can even if I am still kind of a noob. I really just want some wing mates to fly with since there is at least security in numbers.

I'm not really sure what else to say but I thought I'd tell my story in the hopes that there is a faction out there who might want to fly with me. o7 Commanders.

Join Winters Wolves in 44 Lambda Hydrae. Get Discord and Inara to contact. Pretty good player group for mostly non-combat orientated play.

Yep, alot of griefers around Deciat and Sinrata Dezra.
We are small in numbers which makes it more personal, we do have 24 systems all under control and do a bit of everything.
We have a guy that enjoys teaching newer players as well.

Have a look at our faction and pop in to say HI.
We have UK, Europe, US and Aus players, so most time zones are active

4142x6533.png

The Coffin Dodgers

We are a group of unbelievably good pilots with above average skills and dashing good looks, not to mention very modest.
We do BGS and minor faction, We are proud of our own small empire just outside the bubble.
We have a wealth of experience on all things Elite
We fight, we trade, we explore.
We try to do our bit saving the Galaxy from the Thargoids albeit rather amateurish.
We pretty much enjoy everything this great game has to offer.
You might enjoy the cordial banter that we perhaps specialize in.
If you want to join, there are no complicated forms to fill in- we just meet up on Discord.
All we ask is that you use EDMC to assist the BGS.

Look up ' Coffin Dodgers ' on Discord

https://inara.cz/galaxy-minorfaction/44384/

Hi there CMDR Ashtar Nightwolf
Sadly your tale is all too familiar.
Some of us, like you wouold prefer not to have these kinds of interactions with other players, but as you have pointed out there are always elements that are remisinscent of the schoolyard bully.
The difference here is that there's no mechanism in place to reign back these sociopaths so we have to help ourselves.

With that in mind I'd like to introduce you to the Alliance Rapid-reaction Corps. (ARRC for short)
We are currently in what you might call "Gank Central". All around us we have every kind of PvP activity, some of which is genuine RP with groups like "The Code" and others are just groups of pro gankers who are only out to mine salt. We continue to learn how to actively engage these people with lots of training and help from our Allies and supporters.

Even if you don't join you are most welcome to call in and chat. ask questions, look for support and wing up, or whatever.

We are a possibly one of the biggest, small Player Minjor Factions. We are a well established group with a presence in over 30 of the "Old Worlds"
Our base of operations is in our home system of Zaonce, Ridley Scott station.
The home of the Zaonce Fleet and the Bank of Zaonce.
Our systems include Arque, the new home of Professor Palin and Tionisla, where the famous Ships Graveyard is reputed to bear permanent monument to many a brave pilot.

We are a friendly bunch and we love helping out Noobs.
Although we are mostly based around Europe (predominantly the UK) we do have a few US players..
Now that we have Professor Palin, and three Community Goals, in our jurisdiction we are having what the ancient Chinese called interesting times. Especially with the PvP groups that enjoy making life difficult around Engineers, Community Goals and other popular venues.

A lot of us were here in '84 and as far as game play goes we moslty bimble about engaging in pretty much whatever come to mind.

Our activities include PVE exploration
PvP in a training group called "Fighter Club" (See my signature. No membership required) and with an anti ganker group caled The SPEAR Network.
Thagoid hunting in the Pleiades
Racing SLFs, SRVs and other vehicles in odd and remote locations
Driving SRVs into space stations...

Well you get the idea. Pretty much anything that's fun.
Join our forum thread and lend us your ideas.

Or join us on Discord and lend us your support.

Background Simulation or Powerplay?
Yes we also involve ourselves in the Background Simulation and Powerplay aspects of the game. Flipping systems for the Alliance, fighting to keep or control systems etc.

You pretty much couldn't find a more friendly bunch of commanders with an eye for fun and a taste for adventure always on the lookout for new and exciting things to try.

Come along and give us a go. Links to our Discord channel and the Fighter Club thread are in my signature, or you could apply on INARA where you will find our Faction page.

Time zone is GMT UK but we are to be found online pretty much any time.

Sorry to hear of your experience CMDR Ashtar Nighwolf.

Unfortunately it is far too common an occurrence. At Angels of Death it is something that some members try to address. Some of our members that are so inclined patrol the current CG and other hotspots looking to protect the innocent from these gankers.

It is by no means a requirement of membership to do these actions, we encourage members to play the game they want to play it. Our one rule; No pirating or ganking of other players.

Our squadron has just reached the 100 members mark but don’t let this daunt you as we are spread across UK and EU, AUS and all time zones across NA.

Check out our recruitment thread here to see the type of shenanigans we get up to; https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...n-game-faction-pvp-no-murder-griefing.507112/

Helping players establish themselves as self sufficient independent CMDR’s is what we love to do, always available for sharing knowledge and guiding people through the unlocking of the guardian FSD booster as an example. We love to fly in wings regardless of what it is we are doing.

If your interested instructions on how to apply are on the first page of our recruitment thread!

o7
Fly safe CMDR!

Unfortunately, there are a few folks who like to hang around Deciat ganking new players.

My guess is many were previously hanging from locker room doorknobs in their underwear. You'll also meet them at engineer sites, community goals, and thargoid areas as well.

If anyone saw the banjo scene from Deliverance, they'll get my observation: Gankers are the banjo boys of Elite Dangerous; very good at what they do, and about as charismatic.

banjoboy.JPG

In short time you'll be able to engineer your ships and pick up tactics to slip gankers on a consistent basis. There are many links/videos with good defensive tutorials. I've come to enjoy Open in part because of gankers, rather than in spite of them. The banjo boys provide some moments of excitement and occasional amusement, especially after you learn to dust them.

My squadron is probably too small to help, but you are always welcome to join, or send an in-game friend request. My squadron ID is DDST. There is strength in numbers, so if you find a bigger squadron, we could always wing up when we are both online (although right now I'm about 7000Ly from Sol).

Good luck with whomever you join!!! Abide and thrive!

Last edited:
What platform are you on, OP?
PC.
Also, I can't believe how many offers I've gotten in this thread to join a faction! I'm really not sure where to start or which faction to join haha. I guess if it helps, I'm not committed to any particular power at the moment (Empire/Federation, etc,,,,) but am looking to rank up in all of them for access to ships and systems. I'm interested in learning every aspect of the game even though I mainly do exploration at the moment. Racing, and PVP sound interesting even though I haven't really dipped my toes in those areas of the game yet (aside from getting my ass blown up yesterday). I'm also interested in learning more about how to make more in game money. Exploration has been my main money making tool but I know it's not the most efficient. I've been looking at all of the faction links posted in this thread and they all look interesting and all look like they have great communities of people!

PC.
Also, I can't believe how many offers I've gotten in this thread to join a faction! I'm really not sure where to start or which faction to join haha. I guess if it helps, I'm not committed to any particular power at the moment (Empire/Federation, etc,,,,) but am looking to rank up in all of them for access to ships and systems. I'm interested in learning every aspect of the game even though I mainly do exploration at the moment. Racing, and PVP sound interesting even though I haven't really dipped my toes in those areas of the game yet (aside from getting my blown up yesterday). I'm also interested in learning more about how to make more in game money. Exploration has been my main money making tool but I know it's not the most efficient. I've been looking at all of the faction links posted in this thread and they all look interesting and all look like they have great communities of people!

If swiftly improving your offensive/defensive combat capabilities is your main objective, joining a larger squadron (like the ones noted above) is probably your best bet for learning and getting some protection while you are at it.

My squadron is small, very laid back, and primarily geared toward exploration, mining, and trading. However, we do some bounty hunting from time to time, and are not adverse to PvP, as long as their is some sportsmanship involved.

I think for most people, the idea of getting blown up doesn't bother them....its the utter lack of esprit de corps. If I'm looking for PvP, it will be against someone else who is interested in same, not some dude in a lightly armored exploration ship. That's just lame, in my opinion.

Whomever you choose, shoot me a friend request when you can, and hopefully we can wing up from time to time. Best regards.

If swiftly improving your offensive/defensive combat capabilities is your main objective, joining a larger squadron (like the ones noted above) is probably your best bet for learning and getting some protection while you are at it.

My squadron is small, very laid back, and primarily geared toward exploration, mining, and trading. However, we do some bounty hunting from time to time, and are not adverse to PvP, as long as their is some sportsmanship involved.

I think for most people, the idea of getting blown up doesn't bother them....its the utter lack of esprit de corps. If I'm looking for PvP, it will be against someone else who is interested in same, not some dude in a lightly armored exploration ship. That's just lame, in my opinion.

Whomever you choose, shoot me a friend request when you can, and hopefully we can wing up from time to time. Best regards
I'm actually going to be logging on shortly so I'll add you! To be honest I'm considering the Angels of Death but I haven't made my mind up yet, so I'm still kind of looking around. As for combat that's just one area I want to improve in. I'm still primarily an explorer and would like to learn more about mining and trading as well. Ideally I'd like to be a "Jack of all trades" but more importantly I'm looking for a fun community of players to enjoy the game with.
Edit* I guess I need your commander name to send a request. PM it to me when you get a chance!

Last edited:

My advice :

DONT TAKE ANY EXPLORATION DATA TO DECIAT! Or any other dangerous system, you have a good chance of losing it.

Sell exploration data first system you get to at the edge of the bubble. Only exception is if you want to use that data to gain influence with a faction, then you must be super cautious. IF I had valuable data I would jump out soon as I saw that hollow square and just not risk it.

Being a member of a PG WILL NOT HELP YOU if you fly to Deciat with valuable data/cargo. You need to fly smarter.

You will still be interdicted even if a member of a Player Group. Right now Deciat is one of the main hotspots for PvP/Ganks because regular CGs were no longer a thing so it kind of took off. If you look on INARA you will see the list of the "hot" systems where there is gank activity. Always fly very carefully in these systems.

Inara galaxy status is on the right : https://inara.cz/galaxy/

IF you just got interdicted, they you need to go repair your ship/modules/shields and lick your wounds unless you are very confident of your abilities/ship.

Diamondback Explorer is a great ship which has massive shields for its size and great evasion because of being small. PA shots are very difficult to hit on DBS/DBX which is the main weapon that will take your shields down quick and a favourite of gankers.

I made this build for you which is a DBX exploration build and is survivable even in Deciat : https://s.orbis.zone/4y21 but not if you allow yourself to be interdicted and shields weakened again and again. Power priorities are set right for an escape/evasion build.

You wont be able to survive if you dont fly with wisdom/consider what will happen next even with the best of ship and friends.

What a quality Player Group WILL offer you, however is the chance to PRACTICE and improve your skills.

I have a plan right now to create a set of videos to help players survive in situations just exactly as you described from the basics of flying right up to getting the right build/engineering. We will see how that goes.

CMDR Gavin786

Last edited:
Top Bottom