Generation Ship "Venusian"

Earlier today, after finally reaching Elite in Exploration, I set out to find a Generation Ship and, with the insane luck I have with these things, stumbled upon a listening post that led me to the "Venusian".

To find it yourself just travel to Kitae and set course for Zephyrus. You should see it in Navigation after a few thousand lightseconds in supercruise.

(The listening post hat led me to this can be found in LP 855-10)

Uploaded screenshots of the logfiles to our website. Here are the links.

A few pictures of the ship.

If they don't work go to http://en.sektion20.de/

Since I've been asked several times how to start looking for new generation ships or abandoned bases and suchlike:

You need to look for listening posts in navigation. And so you'll have to always take a look into navigation in each system.
As soon as you jump into it and also near every planet if it is more than a thousand lightseconds away from your arrival point.
The listening post will always be found right next to a planet. (So no need to look for them in empty space inbetween.)

With the generation ships it will probably be easier than with the abandoned ground bases as the search area for most
of them only extends to about 100 lightyears in every direction from Sol (if their traveldistance is consistant with lore).

And now you might ask yourself "But Klumpozyte, how is this going to help me? There are almost 10000 systems in
a 100ly range from Sol. I'd have to zigzag with econmy plotting for hours and still might find nothing?!"
To which I would have to asnwer: "Yes, alas, Jimmy, that is how the cookie crumbles."

What I'm trying to say with that the generation ships are content that is not meant to be actively sought after.
Imho they are mainly inteded as something that players stumble upon unexpectedly while doing something else.
And as they are (supposedly) in the bubble it is most likely that the listening posts would be found by new players
as seasoned CMDRs will not do any short range jumps and so never end up in any of these systems.

Last edited:
Forgot that... Will take one now. I basicly looks like the other Generation Ship, just with habitats attached.
Edit: Added 2 screenshots of the ship itself to the first post.

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Very interesting! Congrats, commander!

Hmm.... So these pirates were obviously way more advanced since they had jump capability. What's odd is that the log file written by the security officer mentioned that the pirate ships had entered super cruise. How would people on a generation ship even know about that? That technology had not been invented yet when the generation ships left.

You'd think the pirates would have made more money just you know...selling the location of this ship to others rather than butchering everyone on board and stealing whatever old, useless tech is there.

Also, why the heck is this security officer writing his log while he's under fire at the end? lol.

Yeah, that supercruise was mentioned confused me too.

And about the making log entries while under heavy enemy fire; That is called dedication! :D

Very interesting! Congrats, commander!

Hmm.... So these pirates were obviously way more advanced since they had jump capability. What's odd is that the log file written by the security officer mentioned that the pirate ships had entered super cruise. How would people on a generation ship even know about that? That technology had not been invented yet when the generation ships left.

You'd think the pirates would have made more money just you know...selling the location of this ship to others rather than butchering everyone on board and stealing whatever old, useless tech is there.

Also, why the heck is this security officer writing his log while he's under fire at the end? lol.

This is what bothers me. Supercruise wasn't a thing, generation ships are only needed when fast interstellar travel isn't feasible, and pirates don't make sense given the previous point. I mean, it's cool that we're finally finding the generation ships but some consistency would be nice. :/

Unless they were stubborn old fools who refused to abandon their precious generation ship and only recently got wrecked, it puts up a big red flag for me.

Good find, OP.

Last edited:
She's a long sucker. This one has habitation domes!

HN9dYhw.jpg

Last edited:
Supercruise available on pirate ships a mere months after the generation ship launched? I'd be an unhappy passenger. And FTL communication?

Supercruise must have been invented some years before. It would initially be very expensive and rare, reserved for military and political ships. Over time the technology improves and filters down to the general population, and eventually even pirates have it.

Did someone just rewrite Elite lore or am I having a brain fart?

There's also the matter that supercruise is restricted to smaller ships. Capital ships (and the larger generation ships and megaships) aren't supercruise-capable.

This is what bothers me. Supercruise wasn't a thing, generation ships are only needed when fast interstellar travel isn't feasible, and pirates don't make sense given the previous point. I mean, it's cool that we're finally finding the generation ships but some consistency would be nice. :/

Unless they were stubborn old fools who refused to abandon their precious generation ship and only recently got wrecked, it puts up a big red flag for me.

Good find, OP.

It may have been a well known theory, though not technically possible at the time.

Z...

Is there any timestamp associated with the ship logs?

Supercruise didn't exist until around 3297 ... which means that someone had to have been in contact with this Generation Ship to let them know about it. It also means that they must have been breached by pirates fairly recently.

Maybe someone from the modern era made contact with the Venusian and agreed to keep their location secret but not until after they shared knowledge of modern technology with them. Think about it: You've got an entire society raised for centuries to live and die on that ship. Abandoning the dream of their ancestors may have seemed like treason ... or even sacrilege. They may have wanted to finish the journey the way that they had all been reared to do since birth.

The pirates who attacked ... saw a golden opportunity for slave labor. None of the people aboard officially exist in any galactic registry. Capture them and sell them. Nobody ever needs to know.

So what is the closet nearby nebula? I just went out to the Venusian quickly to get the logs, but had to go offline before looking for nebulae on the galmap. It may be possible to track down these pirates and deliver justice. Maybe even find some of the crew, if it isn't too late for them all...

Last edited:
Klumpozyte found a listening post which lead ro this system and told him the direction... Flying for a few thousands ls and Bingo!

Firstly I'd love to have some info about the listening post so I can see what led you here..

Must say, the sound work and acting is quality again. Great work that really ads atmosphere to the game.

Just a shame there wasn't much fact or Lore checking here. It's odd that a gen ship would know about super cruise, and the nearest nebula is 400ly away outside the bubble. It's like it was planned for this to be a contemporary gen ship but its location and design make it look like another ancient one. Move it a few 1000ly away and give it a hyperdrive and it would make more sense.

Top Bottom