Modes Genuine question for those who get "repeatedly killed at station".

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
If you keep getting killed every time you exit the station... Why are you trying to get out in Open when you can just go into Solo to leave system? Seriously, if you don't like these guys outside the station... Just don't play with them. I'm baffled.

Do some people just blindly think that they're the best and nothing should "defeat" them? (I use defeat loosely)

If you keep getting killed every time you exit the station... Why are you trying to get out in Open when you can just go into Solo to leave system? Seriously, if you don't like these guys outside the station... Just don't play with them. I'm baffled.

Do some people just blindly think that they're the best and nothing should "defeat" them? (I use defeat loosely)

Some folks like the challenge.
Some folks are suckers for punishment.

Each to their own, if trying to run a blockade is what floats someone boat - more power to them.
I just with more folks would stream their efforts for our entertainment ;)

Deleted member 110222

D
Some folks like the challenge.
Some folks are suckers for punishment.

Each to their own, if trying to run a blockade is what floats someone boat - more power to them.
I just with more folks would stream their efforts for our entertainment ;)

I mean I get the people who like a challenge. But this thread isn't directed at them. It's directed at those who say "I don't like player x, he won't let me take off!"

To that player I ask, why don't you just, if only temporarily, remove player x from your game so you can continue to "progress".

Some people buy the game for a multiplayer experience and aren't willing to give that up every time somebody else decides to be an idiot. I think the best thing to do is point them towards the block function.

I mean I get the people who like a challenge. But this thread isn't directed at them. It's directed at those who say "I don't like player x, he won't let me take off!"

To that player I ask, why don't you just, if only temporarily, remove player x from your game so you can continue to "progress".

Here's my take...
I agree with CMDR Jockey. Challenge becomes a factor as do pride, loss of situational control and frustration. That leads to illogical thinking followed by ineffective action. Then comes the chat rants...

I agree with you too, it's easy to board hop and continue without all the fuss. I agree with CMDR Gunnet about player blocking. Even just taking a 15 minute break for coffee, tea, or a smoke can be effective. I've told my gaming friends for years, you can feel what you want, when you want, all you want. Just don't lip off. Go throw pillows at the couch or kick the wall. But if you have to say anything at all, you say it with your guns. If that doesn't work, remember the name(s) for later. When you're really ready to give a good fight, then challenge your "nemesis" on your terms. No matter what happens after that, you'll enjoy yourself a whole lot more.

Rooks o7

Sebastian sums it up nicely;

Challenge becomes a factor as do pride, loss of situational control and frustration. That leads to illogical thinking followed by ineffective action. Then comes the chat rants...

Sometimes folks just look at the situation after the first death or two and think "I'm not letting that son of a .... get the better of me", and will then try, try and try again. Until they become bitter, angry and very upset.

This is also why it's hard to prove someone is a "griefer" - as sitting outside a station killing folks coming and going is perfectly acceptable (even if it's a cheap, lazy way to get kills) gameplay. So if the same person willingly keeps throwing themselves in front of your guns, you're not "griefing" them as they chose to keep undocking in the same instance and fly into your line of fire.

What should happen in this situation is the rebuy screen should also push you to a new instance. That way for both parties there is a level of immersion. The attacker doesn't see the same victim over and over (as they "killed them") and the victim doesn't see the attacker again (for whatever RP reason your mind comes up with).

What should happen in this situation is the rebuy screen should also push you to a new instance. That way for both parties there is a level of immersion. The attacker doesn't see the same victim over and over (as they "killed them") and the victim doesn't see the attacker again (for whatever RP reason your mind comes up with).

Thats an excellent idea - rep'd

I'd have to say pride. For some players switching to solo is conceding defeat, and I wish I could convince them otherwise. I run into players like that all time in other games I play, especially Overwatch. There are people out there who sincerely believe the only way to play a game is to struggle and grind through a slog of losses. I often get verbally attacked for preaching a path of least resistance, but I don't play things that aren't fun, and when a game ceases being fun its time to put it down or do something else in it.

Quite.

Here's a realisation I've come to over the last few months...

If you're 'playing to win', then use any and all means necessary to 'win'.

The players with the crazy rabid PvP alpha-strike loadouts on their meta-ships, do.
The players blocking your pad when you're coming in to dock, do.
The players shooting at your landed ship at various alien sites, do.
The players hitting your ship with Gromm missiles so you can't hi-wake out, do.
The players using target lock breaker, do.

And so on and so forth.

You're the one with the task of getting out of a station. The game quite rightly allows you to swap to another mode in which your game client will not connect with the types of player above.

To 'win' - use any and all means necessary. So use another mode to get out. It's legit, it's not cheating, and above all, you're using any and all means necessary to 'win'.

Bonus points if you subsequently, after undocking from a starport, rejoin in Open and taunt (in a FRIENDLY manner of course!) the station gankers from outside and get away :D

And if the rabid gankers complain that's not fair, then they're nothing more than scrubs. ;)

I am not blind, but I can say that to-date; nothing has killed me leaving a station. Well apart from my 1st day and then I died 6 times, before and during leaving the station.

I do agree that if you find yourself the target of some fool or fools; then just change modes for ten minutes.

Honestly, I think it a lack of understanding about the modes; that it's the same game underneath, that community goals work in Solo as well as Open, that you can happily flip back and forth without losing *anything*...

I imagine even fewer players understand and use the block function. It comes back again to the real lack of help within the game. If you don't consume Reddit/Wiki/Inari and the forums, you are missing a lot of information.

Honestly, I think it a lack of understanding about the modes; that it's the same game underneath, that community goals work in Solo as well as Open, that you can happily flip back and forth without losing *anything*...

I imagine even fewer players understand and use the block function. It comes back again to the real lack of help within the game. If you don't consume Reddit/Wiki/Inari and the forums, you are missing a lot of information.

I must agree, the game does not explain much to you at all.
The Mode system is a great asset to Elite: Dangerous, yet there is no tutorial on it.

I wonder how many people have had a bad experience in Open their first week and just quit because they didn't know they can hop to Solo / PG, get stronger and then go back to Open

Top Bottom