Get RAW engineering materials fast... Now!

With today's announcement of 4.0 complete separation from 3.8, in 6 days, Engineering materials (as well as everything else) will no longer be persistent between 3.8 and 4.0 in update v.14. Raw materials will be heavily affected by this unlike the other materials. More specifically, Ruthenium. ...........Crystal Shard forest from Horizons 3.8 Will NOT provide your 4.0 cmdr with materials in v.14

As a full time Odyssey player, Ruthenium has been the only High grade (G4) Raw material that I have not found any (Odyssey) Crystal Shards forest for. In my last 3 trips to the shards I have made multiple jumps in and out of the Ruthenium planet to create instances (on 'Ultra' settings for planetary generation), and have searched for hours including the edges of meteor craters... Only seen occasional 2-3 grouped shards. ALL other G4 materials have worked flawlessly in Odyssey... in fact I will say I prefer the Crystal forest in 4.0 over 3.8 (except 3.8 forest are a lot more spooky with better creepy sounds and smoke... I'll miss that). Luckily Ruthenium is only used in 5 blueprints and 1 synthesis. Fill up now, should last a long time. (if other cmdrs not having trouble with this forest please let me know).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest of this post will be locations, techniques, etc. for newer players. Also areas to find undiscovered planets relatively close to the bubble.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This takes about 6 hours for 100% on ALL Raws..
This is the way I like to keep my Raw mats topped off at 100%. Because Raws are used in engineering and synthesis, with the Stargoids due next week or so, Raws are now more important than ever.
To get fully filled up, jump your carrier 400 LY to the Selenium Brain Tree Forest (or about 8 jumps in a ship), Fill up on all 6 mats listed below. Then jump to both Crystal Shards forest... Jump back to bubble, Trade all mats straight down, Use the Brain tree Mats to fill in any gaps.... Jump back to Crystal shards, fill up again and NEVER trade the Crystals again... Go back to the Brain trees and fill back up what you used to fill in the gaps. From now on you should be (mostly) be able to keep stock close to 100% by just making the short trip to the Brain trees.

SOME TIPS
----------------
Selenium Brain tree forest completely cover the entire planet... the map has light blue, darker blue and turquoise... you want the turquoise (flat lands)
Also this planet seems to RNG the entire planet at once, meaning if all you're getting is Polyporous growths when you touch down, then all the forest will be that (I've had mostly about 4 combinations repeat on me...
--- All mats - G1's Cordycep Growth, G2's Polyporous Growth, G3's Mussidaen Seed Pods, and G4's Phloem Excretion. (lite amount of Selenium & Zirconium and about 9 G4's per patch... everything else avail including rediculous ammount of Manganese)
--- G2's and G4's with a little bit of the other 2 sprinkled in (medium selenium and Zirconium... Always tons of Manganese)
--- G2's with lots and lots of Selenium (No exaggeration, you can fill up from 0 to 150 in about 10-15 minutes)
--- and a mix of trash low grades... in this case you 'flip-instance' like doing HGE's (launch up, charge the low wake, when the count down starts throttle down... then soon as you wake, flip immediately so it drops you about 10K up from the forest you was just at, but now with a different variety of stuff)

Bring a Remote Release Flechette launcher with you on your ship (not Flak)... This is especially fun for VR users. Get a good landing then come off the ground 1 meter, give the entire forest a couple blast and it will knock all the fruit from the trees..... VERY quickly land and hop in your SRV and run run run like crazy to scoop up all the goodies you just knocked out of the trees.... you will have about 3 minutes or something like that before they vanish. This works well for VR users because target selection is very fast with the head tracking and you need to be quick. A few items knocked lose will still be stuck in the trees so get those too before the times up.... (brain trees and Crystal forest will repopulate on a 'menu-log' so its easy to repeat practice the launcher shots... they also repopulate if you drive about 1-2k away, so you can deplete 1 forest, drive to the next one and by the time you come back the one by your ship should be full again.
Note - I always forget to bring my flechette launcher with me to the Crystals, so I'm guessing it should work there just as good as it does on brain trees and thargoid barnicles. Maybe someone can confirm or correct.

Ok the good stuff for explorers... Planet discoveries...
First - Travelers need high jump range... Explorers should use as short of range as possible that allows them to complete the journey.... Where you 'super-jumping' to my dude, you missing all the stuff right here in between!!
You will hear a lot of people tell you that you have to go 2,000 Ly's from the bubble to have tour own full solar system discoveries..... NOT TRUE!!!
In the bubble, hmm probably not but you can definitely find MANY solar systems 500LY from the bubble, Here's how... Create detours. Don't plot straight lines to any destination. If you are going to the Shards, pick an additional place you would like to visit (outside of the bubble) that takes you off the normal path that everybody and their grandpa has been on... trust me, I am 'great' grandpa age!
Here is an example from my last trip only a few days ago (with pics to prove this is still easily available NOW). I have 44 ships that I'm finishing G5 engineering on every part of the ships, So I run through mats very fast. So on this trip I took my detour North first to Visit The Bee Hive Star Cluster (location listed below) I have 8 Solar systems with about 100 planets within 500 LY of the bubble. Just have to know what you're looking for. The Main Stars will almost all be discovered already from CMDR's honking the system and moving on, and sometimes even the first planet or 2 may be discovered by proximity of the cmdr's jump... you have to keep an eye on that honk number and look at your sensor to see if things don't look right.... it says 23 bodies but you only see 1 star and 2 planets, you need to open that system map quick fast and take a count... stuff is missing, IT's Yours!... I'll post some pics of this..

CRYSTA SHARDS
-------------------------
Locations (discovered by the great CMDR's who came before me) These are the popular locations everybody uses.
HIP 36601 (1,600 LY from the center of the bubble) Planets... (needs 45 LY jump range due to spread of stars to make this trip)
C1A - Polonium
C1D - Ruthenium - (forest in 3.8... Random rare scattered shards in 4.0)
C3B - Tellurium
C5A - Technetium - (also found in Brain tree forest)

...and about 600-700 LY away, might be 500, I forget.....
OUTOTZ LS-K D8-3 (1,725 LY from center of bubble)
B5C - Antimony
B5A - Yttrium

SELENIUM BRAIN TREES
------------------------------------
HR 3230 - Planet 3AA (399 Ly from center of bubble)
(G4's) Technetium & Selenium
(G3's) Tin & Niobium
(G2's Manganese & Zirconium (selenium appears as G2 Polyporous Growth)

by the way, there are lots of planets with crystal shard and brain tree forest... but these are popular cause they're grouped together and these brain trees have Selenium yay!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bee Hive Star Cluster - Praesepe (577 Ly from center of bubble) - Galileo discovery - group of young stars that look like a nebula from far because they are close to each other and very bright .
Eskimo Nebula - GCRV 4981 A (Amazing looking Nebula that surrounds just 1 star and Black Hole... no planets)

Like Loki, my brain is a bag full of cats... so I'm sure I forgot stuff that I'll add later.... Hmmm...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, here's some pic of planetary discoveries not far as mentioned above from this weekend... After 8 systems within 100 LY apart, I stopped looking so I'm pretty sure there are hundreds more... These are about 100 LY north of the Bee Hive main star Praesepe, but still within the bee hive... (add some pics if you become my neighbor)...

Oh and my OCD raw mats list.... Yes I'm a little strange and divided all my mats by 3 so I could trade 'non-3' dividends to make sure the numbers would come out pretty in the end....

6 hours from mostly depleted....

Screenshot 2022-11-23 165249.jpg

use these 6 mats to top off the others so you don't have to go back to Crystals...

Screenshot 2022-11-20 153330.jpg

Plenty of undiscovered planets close by...
False Empty system, fills after scan....

359320_20221119061129_1.jpg

359320_20221119064759_1.jpg

Incomplete System, fills after scan...

359320_20221118214416_1.jpg

359320_20221118214840_1.jpg

Dated proof of many more systems available close by... I have the 'before -empty system pics' but I'm just trying to give some incentive for you to come get some of these and be my neighbor.

359320_20221119153814_1.jpg

359320_20221122042835_1.jpg

359320_20221121201616_1.jpg

For those that don't have an Inara account... the first pic is showing how Inara tracks your mats... blue is what you have enough of to complete your engineering, red shows you don't have enough... you choose the blueprints you want on the site...

Screenshot 2022-11-23 170314.jpg

Last edited:
The idea with the flechette launcher sounds fun, I need to try that. Apart from that your post, and especially the clickbait title, is a bit overdramatic. Raw mats gathering isn't exactly gone with 4.0/ODY. It is as easy as it was in 3.8, the only difference is the missing POI. Instead of the game holding your hand you need to fly a few kilometers. You are almost guaranteed to run into a large patch of shards that fill your bin within a few minutes.

Ruthenium is also very easy to pick up from metallic meteorites on planet surfaces, and is only used in 4 blueprints (of which Thermal Resist Shield Generator is the only popular one) and a couple of experimental effects, so you don't necessarily need a 150-unit stockpile of it.

(I have a 150-unit stockpile of it from said metallic meteorites precisely because it doesn't get much actual use)

Material gathering in Ody takes longer because you dont have a POI to drop into.
So you have to fly slowly close to the ground and hope you stumble over a large patch (cause landing, disembarking repeating this for smaller patches is not exactly fast either)
Even if you save some coordinates, it's still harder to fly to coordinates than to a POI.

So, more time wasted to find the larger patches of Shards

Then, there is the buggy collisions between SRV and the materials.
In Ody you do need to drive carefully over them and avoid at all cost to touch materials with the SRV wheels.
Else either the materials disappear OR the SRV shoots in the sky
In 3.8 such issue does not exist, when you touch material with the wheel, you pick it up instead of destroying it and/or tumbling your SRV

There is crashed conda "Valkyrie" in Trianguli Sector GW-W b1-0 with 3 cargo racks - Ruthenium, Tellurium, Antimony. It's in the Bubble.
It's similar "solution" like Jameson crash site.

The idea with the flechette launcher sounds fun, I need to try that. Apart from that your post, and especially the clickbait title, is a bit overdramatic. Raw mats gathering isn't exactly gone with 4.0/ODY. It is as easy as it was in 3.8, the only difference is the missing POI. Instead of the game holding your hand you need to fly a few kilometers. You are almost guaranteed to run into a large patch of shards that fill your bin within a few minutes.
Yeah, I'm aware I can be a little 'extra' at times... But I try to usually keep it 'positive' so you have to love me and accept me as your best bud (seriously though, I actually have to force myself to tone it down at times... but the coffee loves me long time!). Flechette has been my hot item of the month... tried it in a couple combat situations couple weeks ago and was really surprised at how much damage gets through shields... before I go too far with exaggerating, there are not a lot of high end uses for it or other weapons I would choose it over, I was just a bit surprised... and I really like the sound effect as your ship catches up with the burst... you can hear the dead particles hitting your ship like rain........... click bait? was I that much over the top? sorry didn't mean to be.

Actually, I was just out at the crystalline shards the other day, in Odyssey, and had no trouble finding Ruthenium or anything else. I found a useful thread on the reddit forums that posted coordinates (latitude and longitude) for each planet. For example, here are some of the sites reported there, many of which I have confirmed:

SystemPlanetRawLatitudeLongitude
HIP 36601C1dRuthenium
7.24​
-37.66​
HIP 36601C1dRuthenium
7.32​
-37.53​
HIP 36601C1dRuthenium
-51.2639​
14.7291​
HIP 36601C1aPolonium-31.034614.85098
HIP 36601C1aPolonium-57.4599126.9543
HIP 36601C3bTellurium0.3339-105.034
HIP 36601C3bTellurium-17.6769-55.1800
HIP 36601C5aTechnetium7.1-23.65
HIP 36601C5aTechnetium6.82-23.81
HIP 36601C5aTechnetium3.5500111.5415
Outotz LS-K d8-3B5cAntimony16.9241-139.643
Outotz LS-K d8-3B5aYttrium16.7966-40.1293

And I learned something by searching for them. That amazing program, ED Discovery, has a "Compass" feature that allows you to bookmark a location on the surface, sync it to your ship / SRV, and give you an updated direction finder in the ED Discovery screen. (Works best with a second monitor of course). Using that, it was no trouble to land close to the coordinates then SRV to the forest.

And, for what it's worth, I was able to find my own Ruthenium crystalline forest with only a minute or two of low altitude searching.

Finally, a little closer to the bubble, someone found a huge field of nodes to farm on HIP 36964, planet A5b, near Lawty Agricultural Farm, described as a big volcanic field of nodes with T2, 3, 4 raws aplenty. Lat: -56.5973, Long: -137.6450.

Bottom line: for me at least, finding T4 raws is no longer a reason to go into Horizons. There just as easy to find in Odyssey, especially with the new approach to Selenium using brain trees.

Insert It's a trap meme here... :ROFLMAO:
lol... I realized after I got called click-bait how the title was being perceived. But the whole 'fast, now' was in reference to the workload being done 'once' and counting for both split worlds, instead of having to do all the work twice in a couple days (for people who plan to operate in both worlds). Sorry if the title gave the impression that I have a 'faster' way.... but at the same time I'm guessing there are some people who may not have been considering the double workload if they don't get it done fast... now. I just did 20+ runs on the guardian Weapons site last night to unlock all the other weapons since I had only unlocked the Gauss prior (to save from doing 40 trips later... I went to that 3 minute unlock site, best site I have ever been to by far!). I'm selling/clearing out my commodities on my Fleet carrier since the high value market will likely fall flat in legacy and possibly Ody too (those 'reliable high-value' carriers that you have bookmarked, might be oldschool rich '3.8 only' players)...

Top Bottom