Ghost ship- how am I supposed to solve it?

I have two pieces of information: ship log with names of 3 planets (HIP 61595, 64011, 65201) and local ganlet news mentioning two another (HIP 39748 and 33386). I checked them all. They lay in opposite directions from Chukchan and... there's nothing there. So, what do I do next? Ship log also mentioned a star of particular type with 11 planets. Am I now supposed to check every star of this type in range of 1000 ly? And where to start? At HIP 61595 or at HIP 39748? I know that people had this riddle solved in 2 hrs so it is possible.

I've checked several pages of this forum and I found this:
Not very helpful (just like you) considering it just gives solution to a riddle and everybody there seems to already know everything (bloody hell, the very first post starts with "...so I am at this Musca region we've all been to by now...). You also said that I missed some clues but didn't care to point me in the right direction, which means that you aren't here to be of any help, just to make another comment. Are the rest of your 21 000 comments just as pointless?

You have to write "save me Chaka Khan" in local comms, when landed at the barnacle site.

Then Jackie Chan becomes your wingman, and shows you the direction to the ghost ship, whilst doing martial arts combat on all the thargoids.

That's how I solved it in my dreams last night.

I sympathize, OP.

If you go to one of the stations in Chukchan, there is a news article that gives a clue about how far away the first system on the list is. It’s in a fairly straight line towards Barnard’s Loop if you plot it out along the 2 systems mentioned (it didn’t take me too terribly long to find it.) you can do the same thing to find the 3rd system by going in the other direction. You can the find the 2nd system from clues at the third.

Good luck! It takes a little work but it’s possible with some patience.

Pumpkin, just in case you don't get it there are HUNDREDS of Commanders working on this puzzle.
it is not intended for a solo effort.
You cannot solve the puzzle by yourself.
Most of the questions have been SOLVED at this point; read the thread you yourself put up.
The only puzzle really left is the data dump given at the listening post. We have not solved it yet.

I've checked several pages of this forum and I found this:
Not very helpful (just like you) considering it just gives solution to a riddle and everybody there seems to already know everything (bloody hell, the very first post starts with "...so I am at this Musca region we've all been to by now...). You also said that I missed some clues but didn't care to point me in the right direction, which means that you aren't here to be of any help, just to make another comment. Are the rest of your 21 000 comments just as pointless?
Ok. So, you have local Galnet that tells you what?
That original flight plan for the ghost ship took it through HIP 39748 and HIP 33386 and that it had fuel for ... sorry, can't remember exactly... 370 LY?
You just need to follow a line created by those two and Chukachan that ends around 370 LY (or whatever it was) away from the starting point.

The similiar thing is true for the opposite direction - those three points just tell you where it flew (probably in a more or less stright line) before arriving at Ckukachan, although it will only get you to a point where this megaship changed course for home on sublight speed on autopilot.

Maybe you need to watch "the Stones"....

d7d6fbb30d5eaa9c4e7e79b802b34f4d.jpg

You're either a code-breaker, or you aren't.

Real-world do you know how they did it during WW2? They put extremely hard crosswords in a certain national paper. Only 7 people ever completed it. They got invited to work at what we now know as Bletchley Park.

It's thought certain puzzle-games with the "mail-in $100 prize" are a modern take on that recruitment process.

Don't feel too bad. :)

I have two pieces of information: ship log with names of 3 planets (HIP 61595, 64011, 65201) and local ganlet news mentioning two another (HIP 39748 and 33386). I checked them all. They lay in opposite directions from Chukchan and... there's nothing there. So, what do I do next? Ship log also mentioned a star of particular type with 11 planets. Am I now supposed to check every star of this type in range of 1000 ly? And where to start? At HIP 61595 or at HIP 39748? I know that people had this riddle solved in 2 hrs so it is possible.
Put the line through stars. Then read article again, it say exact fuel amount they had. So u have distance and direction. It will be like 50-60 stars match only there :)
However ye, we did it using "big numbers" because many players were checking things. If you want to skip forum readings and do solo, that may take years if you're extra unlucky.

...however....for example, 1st pitstop we found at the point were ship had to have 5-15ly fuel left. HOW they could go further then?!
If they can recharge on route, then HOW information about fuel could lead us at all?
...I think it was 2-3 more logical errors there too.

...however....for example, 1st pitstop we found at the point were ship had to have 5-15ly fuel left. HOW they could go further then?!
If they can recharge on route, then HOW information about fuel could lead us at all?
...I think it was 2-3 more logical errors there too.
Maybe they could jump that far, then they somehow got refuelled?

Were fuel scoops a thing back then?

Maybe they could jump that far, then they somehow got refuelled?

Were fuel scoops a thing back then?
That's a good question - it's before Quirium drive, so could they have Scooped at all? For that matter, can any Megaship? My Carrier sure can't...a bone of contention for me. ;)

I remember years ago when the Thargoids and Guardians weren't even discovered yet, and how people were finding stuff out of nowhere. I'm still in awe.
Ah yes, the good old days before the mapping probes, when people were finding Guardian sites and such by visually surveying entire planets from orbit.

I did that once, and while it's a bit nostalgia inducing to think back on it, I really can't say I miss it!

I’m in the same boat, OP - after several hours of trying to follow the breadcrumb trail, I’ve given up in disappointment and a little frustration. Seems to me like the first hand-placed content in ages, Twittered and GALNETed and whatnot, is only meant for the puzzle-solving delectation of a few players whilst the rest of us either read the solution online or watch it on YouTube.

Unfortunately, this has mostly been the way with these things over the history of the game.

My feedback:
  • have a hint in the GALNET article to check the Chukchan Station news board, “...the latest information regarding the ‘Ghost Ship’ investigations will be available from local news sources...” for example.
  • stronger indication in the local news to search out to the Ghost Ship’s maximum range, “...with those two systems and the distance the ship could’ve gone, well, I’m too old to travel that far to find out...”
FDev - how about running the scenario by those NDA’d players you have prior to releasing it, to see what actions they would take and if you could tweak the clues to be a bit more inclusive? At the very least I’d’ve liked to find any audio logs without resorting to spoilers.

I’m not after Skyrim’s quest marker here-is-the-thing, but I would quite like Daggerfall’s “oh it’s a way north from here”, if you know what I mean 🙂

Edit: one of my favourite games of recent times is Return of the Obra Dinn - I was able to complete that game, unaided, through observation and deductive reasoning and at the end I felt clever for doing so. I’d love to be able to experience that feeling with ED’s “quests”.

Last edited:
Seems to me like the first hand-placed content in ages, Twittered and GALNETed and whatnot, is only meant for the puzzle-solving delectation of a few players whilst the rest of us either read the solution online or watch it on YouTube.
I mean, that's basically inevitably true of any "treasure hunt" content, isn't it?

They can adjust the difficulty to adjust the fraction of players who can solve it, sure - but ultimately anything moderately straightforward and/or amenable to a bit of brute-force searching (including most of this one) will be solved in under an hour by some of the first people logging on and everyone else is probably going to hear about the answer before they have chance to see if they could have solved it ... and anything difficult enough to stop that happening (like the listening post decoding) will be beyond 99.9% of players' ability to solve at all.

I mean, that's basically inevitably true of any "treasure hunt" content, isn't it?

They can adjust the difficulty to adjust the fraction of players who can solve it, sure - but ultimately anything moderately straightforward and/or amenable to a bit of brute-force searching (including most of this one) will be solved in under an hour by some of the first people logging on and everyone else is probably going to hear about the answer before they have chance to see if they could have solved it ... and anything difficult enough to stop that happening (like the listening post decoding) will be beyond 99.9% of players' ability to solve at all.
Surely there’s got to be some leeway between so-easy-it’s-instant and 99.9% not-for-you?

I’m pretty good at avoiding spoilers (unless it’s GALNET threads with telling titles 😉) or threads about the latest mysteries, so it wouldn’t bother me if the geniuses solved it within minutes of going live. I’d be curious to know what percentage of active players would see the inevitable threads - usually it’s something like 10% of a game’s players visit the forums (or so I’ve read before).

Top Bottom