Give us a reason to stay on planets.

Very true! However this could be solved with some clusters establishing no fly zones in their area for reasons such as BGS state or faction government etc. Then you will have to travel to other settlements in the cluster via SRV
There could be local missions giving you temporary legitimate access to the otherwise forbidden parts of the settlement. Something like transport a large container from A to B.

I think having a settlement and then mining as well as research areas spaced out on the surface would make it interesting. Not only would it make things more difficult when raiding areas but could also make defence harder as well.

It's an interesting idea, and not unappealing. One wrinkle you'd still have to contend with, in terms of establishing scale - with the current vehicle mechanics, jumping in your starship and engaging the magic warp drive is actually the best way to cover any distance over 20 km or so. In the real world we don't do that because flying is expensive, plus the time and hassle of going to the airport, etc. In ED, in almost no situation is there enough friction to taking off in a ship that you would use another mode of transportation.

Recent real example: not long ago we had the Salvation event with the ancient Thargoid-Guardian battlefield. Lots of sites to explore spread across a couple hundred km on a scenic desolate planet. Would make a cool driving tour by SRV, but I doubt one player in a hundred drove for half an hour instead of taking two minutes to fly up to drop altitude and glide to the next site.
True but I'm thinking like 3-10KM max and networks of maybe 2-10 settlements.

A big problem with on foot gameplay is that there isn't much to do without having to travel across a system which breaks up gameplay too much and actually degrades the sense of scale because actual gameplay takes place in smaller areas (settlements and then bases) separated by a travel system that takes you out of your on foot perspective.

A way to improve on foot gameplay and retain the sense of scale would be to have larger settlements or networks of settlements separated a few KM apart which can be traversed between via SRVs, small ships or even on foot with missions to do between them (assassination missions, courier missions, retrieval missions, conflict zones, etc.) all within a small-large area on a single planet giving you a reason to stay on a single body for a few hours or days.

The settlements feel nearly inconsequential when the primary gameplay loop requires you to go in and out of them constantly without any real reason to stay or care about them.

Let me know if I'm wrong or if you have another perspective.
Good suggestion.
Also.. where are the cities? I can't believe that in the future humanity hasn't built any city on low atmospheric planets full of precious and valuable materials and economy.
And please add also something to do while exploring planets. Is it possible that legs exploration gameplay is only about shooting plants?

Good suggestion.
Also.. where are the cities? I can't believe that in the future humanity hasn't built any city on low atmospheric planets full of precious and valuable materials and economy.
And please add also something to do while exploring planets. Is it possible that legs exploration gameplay is only about shooting plants?
Yep - I've raised suggestions for exploration gameplay improvements many many times in depth in the hope that the devs (or more importantly the product managers) decide that they are worthy. Everything from mining using deployable rigs, or hand mining with the cutting tool being given a press R for drilling mode, soil science, geological science for evidence of past habitability (like the Percy rover does IRL on Mars), more secondary and tertiary RNG rewards game loops for the biological (and any new geological) gameplay, more interactions and opportunities with Vista Genomics - who currently are just a one menu item interaction. Give them your stuff. Wow. We need a whole Kiosk for that? No missions on the boards for exploration, no go to this system find planets with X, get samples, return and hand in to Vista and then claim mission reward on top... nada. Literally every planet could have compelling gameplay that is not that hard to implement - using existing models and just expanding on the bare bones stuff. You could be out in the black for months with stuff to do that has multiple avenues of interest.

As for the cities, of course the real reason is framerates would go into a wormhole and never be seen again.

been driving my srv for nearly 2.5 hours on the same planet that seems to have more dead rocks than minerals. And when you do find them and exploded the rock you have enough time to pick up 2-3 of the minerals, the rest seem to vanished into thin air.

shot 1 rock and the minerals just shot off into oblivion.no materials around.
shot another and the minerals of 5 was reduced to 2 just for turn the srv around.it hard enough having to go over the dam silly over the top height map without have to search for missing materials.

been driving my srv for nearly 2.5 hours on the same planet that seems to have more dead rocks than minerals. And when you do find them and exploded the rock you have enough time to pick up 2-3 of the minerals, the rest seem to vanished into thin air.

shot 1 rock and the minerals just shot off into oblivion.no materials around.
shot another and the minerals of 5 was reduced to 2 just for turn the srv around.it hard enough having to go over the dam silly over the top height map without have to search for missing materials.

That's broken at the moment, look straight up, sometimes they just hang in the air. Considering that most planets we can drive on are airless rocks, finding mostly airless rock probably isn't surprising, concentrated minerals are common on the earths surface either, personally I think we should have mining equipment where we can identify mineral rich areas and mine for stuff, like mining in rings only on the ground, maybe one day!

Top Bottom