Glowing Green Giants - The Definitive List

Unfortunately, "The Perseus Crags" is the GMP/EDSM nickname for a rather large region of space, a section of the Perseus Arm of the galaxy about 15,000 LYs long, in the general West-Northwestwards direction from Sol. EDSM Link. It probably contains over a billion stars? It's a lot of space to search. Especially given that we don't even have a star class to hunt for.

It is some what close to Colonia too. But yeah, it is alot of space to search when we dont know the star class. But what is exploration without some danger and adventures? :) But as said, I might take a shoot to look for it

I think I found out what the system name was supposed to be. The "3" at the end is the planet number, so it should be "Eoch Flyuae KA-K c23-4 3" (note the space)

"A few jumps later, I discovered a very unusually green gas giant, Eoch Flyuae KA-K c23-4 3, which turned out to be a gas giant with ammonia-based life."

It's only 22ly away from the other system, so I hopped over. It's still a red herring:

http://screenshots.necrobones.com/E...018-03-28 04-34-32 Eoch Flyuae KA-K c23-4.jpg

http://screenshots.necrobones.com/E...018-03-28 04-34-49 Eoch Flyuae KA-K c23-4.jpg

http://screenshots.necrobones.com/E...8-03-28 04-34-49 Eoch Flyuae KA-K c23-4_1.jpg
Still greener than usual. Good effort though!

Not really directly related, but have anyone seen a Uranus-look alike
latest
planet anywhere (puns aside)? Not in term of size, those are plenty, but in the bland look. I've been fooled a few times by big ice bodies, but never seen a class 1 GG that looked like Uranus.

Last edited:
No, I think we can rule out number 2. GGG 5 was reported far away from the Colonia route, and was reported before Colonia was founded. I'm fairly sure it's a quirk of the procedural generator. The bias towards the Colonia Road is simply because that road is more well-travelled.

Adding to the bias, I would assume (!), is the likely star types they can form in: they can form in pretty much any star type, just like regular gas giants. If one forms, it's likely to form in an M or K system since those are more probable overall - and deep-space explorers tend to filter those stars out as they're less likely to contain ELWs and other valuables. The Colonia Road is more likely to have Ms and Ks scanned because that route is popular with the Bubble-Colonia commuters and tourists who are travelling, rather than exploring.

GMGs, on the other hand, are like GWGs were: if they're limited to Class V, then they'll only be found in systems where Class Vs can occur: super-hot stars, A-class and above. So it's more likely that deep-space explorers will spot a GMG, even if they do turn out to be much rarer than GGGs.

My own theory on the generation of GGGs (and by extension GMGs) is this: the stellar forge randomly generates "sets" of colours for each gas giant, two or three colours depending on the giant type. The generator also seems to pick "matching" and "contrasting" colours, also depending on the planet type. I've noticed that many GGGs have black as one of their colours. I therefore presume and suspect that the stellar forge, in trying to pick a "matching" colour for black, is trying to go "blacker than black", going negative, and therefore ending up bright green. For GMGs, perhaps it's "contrasting colour" calculator is trying to do likewise, in calculating a contrast for white, it tries to go blacker than black and crosses over into magenta.

Something like this is what I am afraid of actually. A fringe situational quirk of the colour generation that is almost assuredly not intended, which means it is subject to correction at some point. I really hope that the Devs don't correct these out of existence.

Unfortunately, "The Perseus Crags" is the GMP/EDSM nickname for a rather large region of space, a section of the Perseus Arm of the galaxy about 15,000 LYs long, in the general West-Northwestwards direction from Sol. EDSM Link. It probably contains over a billion stars? It's a lot of space to search. Especially given that we don't even have a star class to hunt for.

I'm not gonna lie, there is a part of me that strongly wants to go search for this lost GGG. If only we could narrow the search area to a more manageable size.....

I was yesterday in the system again where i found one GMG for some more pics. I have found the GMG on 25.03. with version 3.0.3.
But now, with version 3.0.4/5 the system looks very different, beside the 2 main stars. And the GMG is missing now :(
Here is the edsm data of the missing gasgiant.

The B Star (0 Class) has no orbiting planet now and the A star (Herbig AeBe) has alot more orbiting planets now.
I have only scanned the "first" version with 6 bodies in the system so you can look at the data on edsm.
DRYOEA PRUE AA-A H126

Screenshot of the System DRYOEA PRUE AA-A H126 on 25.03. with version 3.0.3
qPsRcx6.jpg
9jzaXCx.jpg

and System DRYOEA PRUE AA-A H126 on 27.03. with version 3.0.4/5

6YXw4so.jpg

So all i got are these lousy 2 screenshots and the experience of flying 10 minutes around this awesome looking planet. i was impressed to find such planets.This was nice while exploring.
i am deeply disapointed now :(
Lets hope that FDev will never remove this nice GGGs

Last edited:
The THEAU PRI one looks to remain intact. It's still glowing pinkly away on the system map.

Thank goodness. As odd and nonsensical as this may sound, I think I would genuinely be irritated, disappointed, and saddened if these were corrected out of the game. No, actually, I think I would end up with the game for the first time since I started playing it.

I was yesterday in the system again where i found one GMG for some more pics. I have found the GMG on 25.03. with version 3.0.3.
But now, with version 3.0.4/5 the system looks very different, beside the 2 main stars. And the GMG is missing now :(
Here is the edsm data of the missing gasgiant.

The B Star has no orbiting planet now and the A star has alot more orbiting planets now.
I have only scanned the "first" version with 6 bodies in the system so you can look at the data on edsm.
DRYOEA PRUE AA-A H126

Screenshot of the System DRYOEA PRUE AA-A H126 on 25.03. with version 3.0.3

and System DRYOEA PRUE AA-A H126 on 27.03. with version 3.0.4/5

So all i got are these lousy 2 screenshots and the experience of flying 10 minutes around this awesome looking planet. i was impressed to find such planets.This was nice while exploring.
i am deeply disapointed now :(
Lets hope that FDev will never remove this nice GGGs

It's strange that the planet completely disappeared; it was my understanding that FD can't simply delete a planet without a whole lot of trouble on their end. The rest of the planets in the system seem to have changed too: the first three planets according to EDSM and as partially seen in the earlier pic are a HMC, a T Tauri and a gas giant, rather than two HMCs and a gas giant. It's almost like they're two different star systems, where everything except the stars themselves has changed.

That's really odd, some kind of glitch with the stellar forge. Dude, where's my planet? [where is it]

There was a bug report for some systems having got mucked up in 3.0 that was fixed in the last update - this may be a side effect of that.

pretty sure the GMGs are what's become of the GWGs after fDev patched them for 3.0 (patch note was "Prevent some gas giants from blooming out due to dividing their colour by 0")
i was in position to check the one at KYLOALL BF-A F2322 A 1 on patch day, and it had become a GMG.

pretty sure the GMGs are what's become of the GWGs after fDev patched them for 3.0 (patch note was "Prevent some gas giants from blooming out due to dividing their colour by 0")
i was in position to check the one at KYLOALL BF-A F2322 A 1 on patch day, and it had become a GMG.

At the very least it's not the case for all GWG, as you can see here : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...pedition-Hub?p=6468341&viewfull=1#post6468341
As the GMGs appeared with the 3.0, it may be a side effect of this patch, but I get the impression that GMGs are "more common" than GWGs.

If and when Pirin has the system info and/or a system map screenshot for that planet, I'm happy to add it, even though it isn't quite a "classic-coloured" GGG; it's still glowing, and still green. Green-ish.

And I believe the only GMG that is not yet formally confirmed as having disappeared, is the one listed in this post in the GMP thread. Can we have confirmation from someone else who is either in the area or who has already been there and can see the sysem map for Theau Pri FB-W e2-25, that this GMG is still in place?

And I believe the only GMG that is not yet formally confirmed as having disappeared, is the one listed in this post in the GMP thread. Can we have confirmation from someone else who is either in the area or who has already been there and can see the sysem map for Theau Pri FB-W e2-25, that this GMG is still in place?

Since I was only about 10.5 kly away, I decided to swing over. This one still exists, but it might be better to call it "fluorescent" rather than "glowing" since its night side is completely dark. :)

Screenshots from minutes ago:

2018-04-14%2022-10-58%20Theau%20Pri%20FB-W%20e2-25_4.jpg

2018-04-14%2022-09-20%20Theau%20Pri%20FB-W%20e2-25.jpg

2018-04-14%2022-09-36%20Theau%20Pri%20FB-W%20e2-25.jpg

Excellent. [up]

Well, the night-side of GGGs is dark, too. Only the old GWGs had a truly "glowing" night-side.

Top Bottom