Got attacked by the system's security forces while have no bounty and fine on myself, any idea what's going on?

This appears to be true but must be unintended if this is the cause. I think it's an outlying bug with the accidental friendly fire code (which went through several iterations, mostly for the better, years ago).

It really should be either you do enough damage to a non target or damage a target and it's then either you get a bounty or you don't. It seems the sub/function that returns agro isn't in synch with the one that applies the bounty.

I'd guess it's a rounding error or a legacy constant ;)

They can also accidentally hit you, which, on a turret boat can make your ship consider them to be a threat and return fire.

They can also accidentally hit you, which, on a turret boat can make your ship consider them to be a threat and return fire.
You're right but I imagine you'd get a bounty in the normal course of that action though, right?

I'm thinking this is less an issue of how one gets cops angry (I'm guessing the op hit them enough to trigger it, though who knows?) and more an isolated issue where they'll agro you with no bounty.

I don't use turrets and this has infrequently happened to me. It's really confusing when it does.

I think I may have the answer, and yes, I think it's a bug.

As soon as you engage a wanted ship, something is bugged causing the security to register that you're assaulting a clean ship because they belong to the same faction.

If the wanted ship shoots you the security ships will almost immediately engage the wanted ship, you're a clean ship reporting an assault, but will immediately go back to shooting you as soon as the wanted ship is dead or escapes.

I think it happens at stations too, shoot a wanted ship that belongs to the same faction as the station, it and it's security ships will shoot you, even though they'll switch targets and shred that same ship in a heartbeat as soon as they scan it.

Security shouldn't ever shoot a clean ship, and doesn't, except for this reason, which I think is either a bug or poor coding.
Sounds like good coding to me .... the ships of the same faction team up with their buddy being attacked, even though he may be wanted.

Yep. Killing pirates, cops jump in (green) one decides to aggro me for no reason. Happens even if my hardpoints aren't deployed.
It's not a big issue for me, but, if you use turrets or an SLF you will most likely end up with a bounty. With the system faction you are actually working for. So instead of killing pirates you're spending time jumping to an IF.
Not endearing gameplay.

Sounds like good coding to me .... the ships of the same faction team up with their buddy being attacked, even though he may be wanted.
Yet they instantly turn on them the second you report the assault against you, only continuing with you after because there is no cease-fire mechanic.

OP i had a similar incident recently. 2 of the 3 cops attacked me while i tangled with a mission pirate. On a different recent engagement, after the cops and I finished off a pirate, the cops started shooting eachother. Its a bit disconcerting to see malfunctioning law enforcement isn't it?

Yep. Killing pirates, cops jump in (green) one decides to aggro me for no reason. Happens even if my hardpoints aren't deployed.
It's not a big issue for me, but, if you use turrets or an SLF you will most likely end up with a bounty. With the system faction you are actually working for. So instead of killing pirates you're spending time jumping to an IF.
Not endearing gameplay.
What's fun is when it happens in a CZ.

The best part is that I've submitted issue reports to the tracker for it, including evidence of NPCs turning on other NPCs on the same side of a conflict zone, and it just ended up marked "expired".

edit - here, the image I submitted to the tracker, two spec ops from the same team fighting each other:
1563228973_76946.jpg

Top Bottom