Got free Stadia controller - Need help getting bindings working

So, I picked up a free Stadia Controller from a recent promo for YouTube Premium subs.

Aside: Gave Stadia a go, hated it, but at least I got this comfy controller and Chromecast.

Love how the controller feels and was wanting to try it out as an alternative to my wireless Xbox 360 controller. I've always wanted to get a wired controller after having replaced so many batteries.

Anyway, after getting all bindings right, b/c there is no way to just port my bindings over to a new controller, I finally took it out for spin. Love the feel of the sticks, already feel like I can fly better with the Stadia controller. BUT...I have a major problem. Button combos don't really work. I mostly follow the default bindings (yes, boost is B and landing gear is B + down...don't give me guff about it, I never had problems) and all combos end up executing the actions of the first button and the combo. So when I go to lower landing gear, I get boost and lowered landing gear...YAY. Obviously, this doesn't work well.

I tried turning context on and off...no difference...I don't see the context menu with this controller anyway. I tried seeing what would happen if I didn't release B and just kept tapping down...this resulted in toggling the landing gear and boosting every time I tapped...yeah no.

Could this just be due to lack of specific controller support? I'm going to try emulating an Xbox 360 controller...it's all the same buttons anyway...but I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this with other non-mainstream controllers. Did you find a way to fix it other than emulation?

Last edited:
Recalling back to when I first got ED during the beta...I ran into this same issue with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick (loved that one) when I tried to put combos on the stick buttons. It seems Elite doesn't let you designate 'context/modifier' buttons or just doesn't automatically recognize that? IDK

Hmm...that may be just what I gotta do...or just continue with the Xbox controller I already have, LOL

Either way, Stadia controller works well on the other games I play that have simpler control schemes. I'd recommend it if you ever have an opportunity to pick it up for free or at steep discount. Mainly b/c I'll never use it for its intended purpose ... Wi-Fi controller for Stadia platform.

How to play ED with Stadia controller;

Step 1: Stadia.
Step 2: Throw Stadia controller in the trash.
Step 3: Use anything else.
Step 4: Enjoy playing ED.
Step 5: Realise playing ED with anything other than a hotas is a pails in comparison.
Step 6: Buy a hotas.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I joke, but seriously, Stadia aren't known for being good at what they do, so needing a fairly involved control scheme where pretty much every button is dependant on your current actions, it probably gets confused.

Lol, so true.

Fortunately I already have HOTAS...played the OG Alpha on an xbox controller until figured out what joystick to get. But I still use a controller when I want to explore the galaxy from my couch.

I find now like a new car at first you get used to your controls then they become 2nd nature
then they literally become almost extension's of yourself...……..
at that stage your only concentrating on where you going and you give them almost no attention what so ever
apart from if they go wrong
I used to be all flight yolkes ect for years now I am quite happy with xbox control track ir reclining couch and voice attack
weather im in my f1 my f22 my rally polo my gar class sub or me cobra my controls are seldom in mind where they finally belong

Last edited:
Top Bottom