Newcomer / Intro Got shot while Landing by another player.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wasnt, I just turned back from exploring and thought the data will help me upgrade farseers's ranks. I had around 15mil worth of scan data.

On the 2nd day I play the game, I get the farseer's quest and its a popular area for noobs and still no defense or anything in place to hold up gankers? Why?

Well to be honest they do not seem to care about ganking problem, mostly I'd say because you can prevent it by changing gamemode, and its quite hard to police it out without affecting legitimate PVP reasons. Personally I don't like gankers, especially I don't like them attacking newbies. You don't really need any skill to kill nb players Sidewinders, especially with proper combat ship.

Well, this is happening because FDev chose to put OPEN as the first mode in the list.
People just press OPEN without reading or grasping its implications, pretty much the same way they press Accept at Terms and Conditions screens.

I bet we would see much less of these threads if SOLO was the first option in the list, while seeing a lot more of "Where is everyone?" threads :)

No, quite contrary - now you're starting to get a bigger picture. People are trash. It's really simple like that.
Some guy gets off to waiting all day above the engineer's base, bothering other players.

I stopped playing in Open a long time ago. I am a bit more experienced so I can anticipate, defend myself and run. I haven't lost a ship in ages, but it just becomes annoying. And of course for a newcomer, it's usually lethal.

Stay in Solo mode, at least when you are going to some more populated areas like engineers' bases or community goals if you don't want to deal with idiots.

You're calling people playing the game within the gameplay rules trash. Glad you switched to solo, might as well switch to Elite Harmless.

Well, this is happening because FDev chose to put OPEN as the first mode in the list.
People just press OPEN without reading or grasping its implications, pretty much the same way they press Accept at Terms and Conditions screens.

I bet we would see much less of these threads if SOLO was the first option in the list, while seeing a lot more of "Where is everyone?" threads :)
I did read what open meant as I first started in this mode. The problem that these bases are a easy target to gank on. Especially since its one of the first Quests I got you would imagine some sort of defense against that.

Also the fact that my Scan data is totally lost, grinds me. I get if you wouldnt have docked anywhere and lost it in the vast space. But when you docked at stationes why is the data not uploaded in some sort of personal cloud. You can send modules and ships through the galaxy, why not some data? Oh wait, data courier missions o_O Let me upload it and let me have a choice to use the data when ever I want in a station instead of having millions worth of data be stashed in your ship without a backup system.

You're calling people playing the game within the gameplay rules trash. Glad you switched to solo, might as well switch to Elite Harmless.
No, I call morally corrupt people trash.
If you attack me in a Cutter or a Mamba, I wouldn't call you trash. Depending on my mood I'd either try to fight or run. If you were really annoying I'd switch to Solo to get things done instead of wasting time with you. Because we all have different goals in the game, you know?
But if you gank a Sidey, you are trash. It's really that simple. There is no gameplay reason to do so (other than that you simply can), you're doing it just because you like annoying other people. In other words - you're acting like trash.

He is actually saying that people in general are trash - that is his opinion.

I think seal-clubbers are "trash" and I also think that people like those who went out of their way to destroy non-combat-build exploration vessels on an expedition are also "trash". (I would use a word which more accurately reflected my opinion of them but I don't want to be moderated.)

Just because there in nothing in the "rules" to stop people acting like (feminine intimate hygiene appliance)-bags and ruining other people's enjoyment for "LULZ" - doesn't make it acceptable to a large proportion of the player-base.

Oh yes, please quit with the "Elite Harmless" nonsense - everyone knows the name of the game is not determined by the state of the galaxy.

Well there is risk involved, even solo at least some NB's can get trashed by ai ships, and hamfisted flying. And better skilled gankers can gank you even inside heftily armed stations. (They know dead angles of station cannons and lurk in there)

I did read what open meant as I first started in this mode. The problem that these bases are a easy target to gank on. Especially since its one of the first Quests I got you would imagine some sort of defense against that.

Also the fact that my Scan data is totally lost, grinds me. I get if you wouldnt have docked anywhere and lost it in the vast space. But when you docked at stationes why is the data not uploaded in some sort of personal cloud. You can send modules and ships through the galaxy, why not some data? Oh wait, data courier missions o_O Let me upload it and let me have a choice to use the data when ever I want in a station instead of having millions worth of data be stashed in your ship without a backup system.

You can be killed anywhere in the game, even in front of a Coriolis Station.
People are very inventive when it comes at killing other commanders in Elite.

And ye, i agree - everytime you are in open doing anything else except pvp - you are bound to lose way more than your assailant.

And sometimes even legitimate attacks are kind of petty :D I remember time I owned Asp Explorer, had minor fender bender fine and forgot to pay it. Well it became a bounty. And some pilot with Anaconda took me out for that. (Likely his/her ammo bill was larger than that bounty :D )

He is actually saying that people in general are trash - that is his opinion.

I think seal-clubbers are "trash" and I also think that people like those who went out of their way to destroy non-combat-build exploration vessels on an expedition are also "trash". (I would use a word which more accurately reflected my opinion of them but I don't want to be moderated.)

Just because there in nothing in the "rules" to stop people acting like (feminine intimate hygiene appliance)-bags and ruining other people's enjoyment for "LULZ" - doesn't make it acceptable to a large proportion of the player-base.

Oh yes, please quit with the "Elite Harmless" nonsense - everyone knows the name of the game is not determined by the state of the galaxy.
False. He's not saying that people in general are trash, see his own post above and please get your facts checked before talking on behalf of someone else. You may think many things but some of are prohibited to be spelled publically for a reason.

calling people trash is also within game rules.
pff, kids these days.
Fair enough, but I didn't say calling people trash is against the game rules.
"Kids these days." I think you tried to offend me as I offended you, that was not necessary but yeah, we all know old people get grumpy when their willy billy stop working and when they constantly get rekt by kids.

No, I call morally corrupt people trash.
If you attack me in a Cutter or a Mamba, I wouldn't call you trash. Depending on my mood I'd either try to fight or run. If you were really annoying I'd switch to Solo to get things done instead of wasting time with you. Because we all have different goals in the game, you know?
But if you gank a Sidey, you are trash. It's really that simple. There is no gameplay reason to do so (other than that you simply can), you're doing it just because you like annoying other people. In other words - you're acting like trash.
Highlighted texts are your opinions and mines are different. That's why there are rules in games, to prevent everyone making their own set of rules. This is not real life and you don't have to play the game. If you play it and you play it in open, it means you agree on certain terms.

Highlighted texts are your opinions and mines are different. That's why there are rules in games, to prevent everyone making their own set of rules. This is not real life and you don't have to play the game. If you play it and you play it in open, it means you agree on certain terms.
And so do you. You are free to attack the Sidey. I'm free to call you trash for doing it. :)

Oh and as for your reply to Para Handy - I did suggest all people are trash. Not in the way that all people are trash by default, but one should expect people are trash.
You should read my first post as well, it seems.

And so do you. You are free to attack the Sidey. I'm free to call you trash for doing it. :)

Oh and as for your reply to Para Handy - I did suggest all people are trash. Not in the way that all people are trash by default, but one should expect people are trash.
You should read my first post as well, it seems.
Very constructive indeed.

Hey, Im new here and just started a week or so to play this game. I got overwhelmed with all the things you can do, so I just started getting a few things from courier missions and fly out of the bubble and Scan all the things on the way. After Ive had enough for the first time, I make my way over to Farseer to check out the Engi thing. My first approach to do a Planetary entry ends as you would expect, 150+km of from the site. So I boost my way over there for a while but eventually just let ship fly, when suddenly someone rams me. At first I didnt think it was harmfull. After that the ship flew as nothing happened. Didnt think of it much further. I get a Landing permit and fly slowly over to the landing pad. When I almost reach the point when the ship locks in, I got blasted by probably the same ship again, to the point that my ship is stuck, or not working properly. It all happened in under 10 seconds. So I see my ship including all the Scan data blast to pieces. I also wonder why the Station did not help. Is it Rep Based? This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, like 5 days of exploring gone without a trace. Correct me if im wrong, maybe I dont get the bigger picture.
OP, don't go to engineers or Shinrarta or any CG/Interstellar Initiative in open without a proper defensively outfitted ship and a plan to escape.
If you don't have both, don't bother doing it in open, go to solo/PG, learn that stuff, engineer your ship and then come back and "git even gudder".

Well when it comes to flying in Open, when I see hollow square in radar I put weapons off safe (go to Combat mode and preset weapons), not that it would help much against gank lords, but even getting one shot to hit is something....

Last edited:
Hey, Im new here and just started a week or so to play this game. I got overwhelmed with all the things you can do, so I just started getting a few things from courier missions and fly out of the bubble and Scan all the things on the way. After Ive had enough for the first time, I make my way over to Farseer to check out the Engi thing. My first approach to do a Planetary entry ends as you would expect, 150+km of from the site. So I boost my way over there for a while but eventually just let ship fly, when suddenly someone rams me. At first I didnt think it was harmfull. After that the ship flew as nothing happened. Didnt think of it much further. I get a Landing permit and fly slowly over to the landing pad. When I almost reach the point when the ship locks in, I got blasted by probably the same ship again, to the point that my ship is stuck, or not working properly. It all happened in under 10 seconds. So I see my ship including all the Scan data blast to pieces. I also wonder why the Station did not help. Is it Rep Based? This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, like 5 days of exploring gone without a trace. Correct me if im wrong, maybe I dont get the bigger picture.
Bigger picture is you had 5 days fun flying a spaceship and exploring stuff,then you see a rebuy screen.A common enough occurence. (i agree,you did nothing wrong or to warrant such radical punitive action, but again, that is a common enough occurence as not to be significant.)The point is ,you spent five days having fun in the most hazardous environment known to man.Something to be celebrated right there.

Bigger picture is you had 5 days fun flying a spaceship and exploring stuff,then you see a rebuy screen.A common enough occurence. (i agree,you did nothing wrong or to warrant such radical punitive action, but again, that is a common enough occurence as not to be significant.)The point is ,you spent five days having fun in the most hazardous environment known to man.Something to be celebrated right there.

Bigger picture is that someone had two minutes of fun destroying results of five days of otherones play. Experienced players know about dangers of Open, not so experienced do not. I think it is going to be long time before OP will try open again. And that is ultimately hurting even those who play on open.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom