Hardware & Technical Graphics card trouble

Less than 3 weeks ago I installed a 2080 Ti in my PC. It was working great, but yesterday while playing GTA V I noticed the resolution suddenly reset itself to the lowest setting. I went into settings and turn it back up to 4K but this time the frame rates were pretty poor. I also noticed there was very little fan noise from the card.

I exited the game and went to Windows device manager and it reported that the graphics card was working properly, I tried to reinstall the driver and it didn’t make any difference. Nvidia GeForce also isn’t showing anything unusual. My monitor is plugged directly into the port on the graphics card and it works just fine so I don’t know what could be the problem.

I downloaded MSI afterburner to see if it would show anything unusual, I’m not really sure how to read it but I will post a screen shot of it.

Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong? I’m hoping maybe a setting got reset but I’m worried that I may have to send the card off for a warranty replacement but before I do I need to get another card because I need to be able to plug in my monitor as I also use this PC for work. The card was never overclocked or anything like that, I don’t even know how to do that.

648CB5A8-6894-437C-8793-3EEBBC9C4918.jpeg

It's very hard to say what Afterburner reads, it's such low res and so small...but it looks like it runs with no load. On desktop, or something. Load the card. Play some game or something, and see what it says. Ideally I'd use HWiNFO64 to monitor and log my system. It's a free utility. Also, check your windows event manager when things go weird.

It's very hard to say what Afterburner reads, it's such low res and so small...but it looks like it runs with no load. On desktop, or something. Load the card. Play some game or something, and see what it says. Ideally I'd use HWiNFO64 to monitor and log my system. It's a free utility. Also, check your windows event manager when things go weird.

thar screenshot was taken about 10 seconds after playing gta v so it should be under load. Sorry about the resolution, let me try to upload a better one.
ED728723-09E2-4909-9FDD-161BA11E9E73.jpeg

Well, it's not under load. 300 core clock, and 405 memory clock? Those are idling. I would suggest running the game, with afterburner overlay. Or at the very least, minimize the game and quickly check what afterburner says. 10 seconds after closing the game it would've reduced clocks to idle. OR, alternatively. If that's how it runs under load it might be indeed defective.

Less than 3 weeks ago I installed a 2080 Ti in my PC. It was working great, but yesterday while playing GTA V I noticed the resolution suddenly reset itself to the lowest setting. I went into settings and turn it back up to 4K but this time the frame rates were pretty poor. I also noticed there was very little fan noise from the card.

Does you PC have onboard graphics? If it does the game may have defaulted to using those, check the game settings to see what vid adaptor it is using.

Does you PC have onboard graphics? If it does the game may have defaulted to using those, check the game settings to see what vid adaptor it is using.
Good point. I thought about it. But OP described his problem coming up during gameplay. I don't know if game can just revert to an integrated GPU at random moment and keep functioning without a crash. Usually those things happen when you restart a game, and settings freak out. But it's definitely worth checking.

I may have to send the card off for a warranty replacement but before I do I need to get another card because I need to be able to plug in my monitor
I don't know if game can just revert to an integrated GPU at random
I'm guessing from the OP, that Threeofseven is running an AMD CPU, as most don't have onboard graphics. The ones that do have a 'G' suffix, I think.

Looking at the MSI AB screenshot, the temps look okay, and that's usually the first sign of problems.

The OP has indicated that before returning his card which is under warranty, he must find another card to continue working on his PC, so I guess he does not have a GPU integrated into the CPU.

:)

Looking at the MSI AB screenshot, the temps look okay, and that's usually the first sign of problems.
Temps look...normal? He said he took this reading shortly after closing the game. What looks off is clocks. If that's what card runs at during load it's definitely not fine. But it could just go back to idle after he closed the game. It's hard to say what's happening unless he takes a reading when card is actually under load.

MSI AB really isn't showing much there, but what I can see looks normal; clocks and voltage settings are offsets, while the current frequency just indicates the card is idle.

Are the fans spinning while the card is loaded? The requested PWM duty cycle is 36%, but there is no actual RPM readout on the screen you posted.

Temps look...normal? He said he took this reading shortly after closing the game. What looks off is clocks. If that's what card runs at during load it's definitely not fine. But it could just go back to idle after he closed the game. It's hard to say what's happening unless he takes a reading when card is actually under load.
Indeed. If the frequencies return to idle after exiting the game, the temps wouldn't immediately drop, so I'm thinking along those lines. The best bet, as you say, is to monitor it under load. One of the various stress test app's would at least be a more helpful indicator, whilst monitoring Afterburner at the same time.

Case ventilation/dust build up is also another one to look at in case of thermal throttling. OP probably knows this, but I ignored this a while back until there was no choice but to get the compressed air. When I did, my PC ran like new.

Last edited:
Makes sense.

IF that really is the report taken whilst GTA is still running in background something is wrong!.
but the graph at the bottom of his image is showing very little data i am wondering if the wrong image was uploaded?

i would run Kompbuster (which i think comes with Afterburner) and see what readings that gives, that should really push the gpu to the limit.

also i would ask OP to change the readings from temperature to include more data

you should be able to get something like the image below. (shamelessly stolen from videocardz.com guide)

To enable it, you need to go to “Monitoring” tab and choose “text+graph” or “graph” under ‘Show in On-Screen Display’. You do this for all metrics that you want to be displayed as a graph.

1579081249669.png

Even if the OP had an integrated GPU it shouldn't work like this, the iGPU is wired through the output connector on the motherboard. If you have your display connected to a GPU out and the machine switches back to integrated, you need to plug the display to one of its connector to see the output.

@Threeofseven another couple of quick and easy tools you can use to check what and how the gpu is doing are Furmark and Unigine Heaven. The first is a stress test which lets you check temps, clocks and usage in real time while the test goes. The second is a less taxing benchmark that can be left on a loop while you check basic stats from its UI or use additional overlays like the ones suggested above.

Is the card new or second hand?
First batches of RTX cards right after the launch had some serious issues (Gamers Nexus mad a couple of videos about it) where the GPU would just die or partially die (low power, screen artifacts).
Your problem just reminded me of that, because the symptoms look the same.

Even if the OP had an integrated GPU it shouldn't work like this, the iGPU is wired through the output connector on the motherboard. If you have your display connected to a GPU out and the machine switches back to integrated, you need to plug the display to one of its connector to see the output.

@Threeofseven another couple of quick and easy tools you can use to check what and how the gpu is doing are Furmark and Unigine Heaven. The first is a stress test which lets you check temps, clocks and usage in real time while the test goes. The second is a less taxing benchmark that can be left on a loop while you check basic stats from its UI or use additional overlays like the ones suggested above.

Very true I was forgetting that, although my first dedicated 3D graphics card did have a pass through connector, but that was a looooong time ago o_O

Update:
last night I updated windows and that seems to have mostly fix the problem. GTA V is working great now, Elite is updating so I’ll report back on it shortly. The graphics card fan is cranking up just like before when under load.

That was the weirdest thing ever, I don’t know how this issue happened lol.

I want to sincerely thank everyone who replied. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me with this. I am rather computer illiterate.

Very true I was forgetting that, although my first dedicated 3D graphics card did have a pass through connector, but that was a looooong time ago o_O

Ha, a long time indeed! :LOL:
I remember waiting for the Voodoo Banshee just to avoid having to put up with double cards and pass through (not enough space in the pc at the time), then when I finally had the money there came the Voodoo 3. What a glorious card that was.
Damn, 21 years...

Happy to hear everything seems back in order again @Threeofseven !

Top Bottom