Great Raxxla Potato Hunt - Help us scan every system within 200 ly of Sol

Why only the 8th moon of a gas giant?
1000006126.jpg

what exactly "scanning a system" entails
We have two videos linked in the first post that describe what scanning a system looks like (Search Demonstration and Findables). CMDR Slegnor also has a list of Odyssey signals and when they do (or don't) appear, and a demonstration of signal counting in Odyssey (link here).

You might wonder why we do X or don't do Y - but it is important that everyone follows the same process. We want to scan things systematically. There can always be follow-up efforts.

does it also involve going to all landable bodies and DSS'ing them?
No, only 8th moons, or planets which have unaccounted signals (see signal counting in the videos - great way to find crashed ships). The reasoning is mostly that mapping every single body would simply take too long. Keep in mind that we are more than four years into this effort.

they want people to use Horizons legacy to scan
This used to be the case, but we allow scanning in Odyssey now. There is more procedural clutter, the UI is worse, and signals are a little different - but otherwise it works. I just haven't updated the docs.

Why even bother mapping anything when searching for something hidden in the game since the beginning?
Eahlstan is correct here, we expect Raxxla to be findable using the tools/systems that were available at the beginning.

I have added Slegnor's signal counting video to the top post.

Last edited:
This used to be the case, but we allow scanning in Odyssey now. There is more procedural clutter, the UI is worse, and signals are a little different - but otherwise it works. I just haven't updated the docs.

Ah, suggest updating the docs then, I was going to join in and do a few sectors last time I was in the bubble until I saw the Horizons legacy requirement, next time I am in the area I will definitely help out! :)

Status Update for Week of 2024-03-02 : 2024-03-09

We've scanned 3,966 / 5,123 grid sections (+10), which is 77.42% of our search grid.
That includes 53,731 / 67,941 systems (+161), which is 79.08% of systems.*

Notes:
  • 34 Megaships
  • 9 Moons
  • 1 Capital Ship
  • 1 Tourist Beacon
  • CMDR Groove Champion found a Crashed Ship on 111 Tauri 2 D.
  • CMDR Groove Champion found a Crashed Ship on LP 417-213 A 4.
  • CMDR MiloGreenRanger confirmed a Crashed Ship on Canari C 3 A (signal reported by CMDR Powerhauz).
  • CMDR MiloGreenRanger confirmed a Crashed Ship on HIP 25559 A 2 (signal reported by CMDR Powerhauz).
  • CMDR MiloGreenRanger confirmed a Crashed Ship on Moriosong A 4 (signal reported by CMDR Powerhauz).
(estimated from EDSM database)

@varonica I made a few small updates to the doc and removed the Horizons note. I have been meaning to update the search videos for Odyssey, but haven't found the time yet.

That's great, I am out in Keplers Crest at the moment looking for some bio missing from the codex, I know it's here somewhere, just have to find some Y class stars, when I am done here I am heading back in and will help out some with your project"

Status Update for Week of 2024-03-16 : 2024-03-23

We've scanned 3,996 / 5,123 grid sections (+21), which is 78.00% of our search grid.
That includes 54,183 / 67,941 systems (+290), which is 79.75% of systems.*

Notes:
  • 77 Megaships
  • 28 Moons
  • 3 Tourist Beacons
  • 1 Capital Ship
  • CMDR Octred found a Crashed Ship on LHS 3079 5 A.
  • CMDR Galcynta found a Crashed Ship on Bhil Mina C 4.
  • CMDR Groove Champion found a Crashed Ship on Ernueken 5 A.
  • CMDR Octred found an Unregistered Comms Beacon around San Tu 4 C.
  • CMDR Powerhauz found the Generation Ship Venusian around Kitae 1 B.

Status Update for Week of 2024-03-23 : 2024-03-30

We've scanned 4,005 / 5,123 grid sections (+9), which is 78.18% of our search grid.
That includes 54,309 / 67,941 systems (+126), which is 79.94% of systems.*

Notes:
  • 33 Megaships
  • 8 Moons
  • 2 Capital Ships
  • CMDR Slegnor found a Crashed Ship on HIP 23317 A 4.
  • CMDR Powerhauz found a Crashed Ship on Vaiurisc A 1.

Top Bottom