Great timing for Australian DLC - and an opportunity to help in a time of great need!

Considering the fires and how many animals have died it would be a great time to release an Australian DLC. What would be even more amazing is if they set up a way that we could pay extra as a donation (pick an amount from a dropdown menu or something) and have 100% of that donation go to the Wildlife Hospitals who are working very hard to save animals. The Irwin's are working around the clock helping animals, I'd love to see Frontier be able to pitch in through us, it would be great publicity for the game too:

"Great time to release", implying it's already made and is sitting in storage?

Frontier might very well already be in the process of making this DLC, or they might not be, but either way they can't just snap their fingers and drop one on us willy-nilly. As much as I sympathise with Australia, I'd rather Frontier put the time and effort needed into the DLC instead of handing out a rush-job that would probably be filled with bugs in order to take advantage of this event.

I don't know, somehow i feel this post is very poor taste.

If you want to donate, go ahead.. nobody is stopping you..
What does a dlc have to do with this?

I wouldn't like if a company uses a wildfire disaster to gain publicity for their product..

Summary of multiple donation possibilities

My suggestion was to have the donation voluntary. If it helps animals and the game I don't see that as poor taste. I guess there is a negative way to look at pretty much anything though.

I'd rather have them make a nice charity stream with good Planet Zoo You Tubers than have a extra donation bound to buying a game. It would really feel like using the dramatic happenings to advertising a game. Geekism did an awesome 12 hour live stream and it really brought in a good amount. Though frontier is already doing a streaming marathon this month for another cause.

Besides all, if an australian pack is in the making, I'm pretty sure it's not ready for release yet. I don't think we can expect a dlc more than every 3 month. Probably even only twice a year or much rarer, who knows.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
Please keep this conversation friendly. I had to delete a couple of posts. Everyone is free to post their ideas on the subject. Thanks so much!!

Any donation is good, Blizzard does it a lot with the make a wish and they even did it to fund tsunami efforts, I think for an Australia pack to donate to the fires is great in any form, particularly now when everything is at its most critical. The Gilbert's potoroo may likely be declared extinct after the fires ravaged their native habitat, there were only 100 left. So far none have been found after the fires.

Thousands of animals affected by fires are currently in care with Firefighters, volunteers, rescues, wildlife carers and zoos around australia, they need our help to recover and thrive, their natural food sources are gone, they will need support until their habitat recovers, and that may be a while as we are also currently experiencing a drought which has been going for 7 years so far. The rains may be a long way off. I would love to see more support seen, and a game pitching a donation drive is never a bad thing.

For those wanting to donate specifically to the animals you can donate to the Zoo's Victoria 'Bushfire Emergency Wildlife Fund' and the WIRES Emergency Fund for Wildlife. There are amazing people already out there trying to find and rescue what wildlife they can, and even a small donation will help.

Having posted that I'd be all for an Australian Pack to also help. Anything that raises awareness is not a bad thing and the rehabilitation of the animals is going to take many many months.

Having posted that I'd be all for an Australian Pack to also help. Anything that raises awareness is not a bad thing and the rehabilitation of the animals is going to take many many months.

It sure will. And when an australian DLC will come out in a few month and the fires are hopefully under control, I'm all for extra donations and such. For me, in the end it all comes down to timing. When the current news are used for the marketing of a new dlc it has a totally different vibe than when the world already has forgotten about it (and sadlyit will) and Frontier is rasing awareness again, that not everything is fine after the fires. Marketingwise it's really a sensetive topic and easy to be misunderstood or come across problematic in my opinion.

Yes, let's not raise money for the animals because it might be misunderstood.

That's a very passive agressive way of reading my statement. As I said above, I'd be all up for a charity live stream or something like that. Or raising money with an australian DLC at a different time but not as long as it feels like jumping on a wagon because "it's very good timing".
Belive me, in my country benefits of time are used a lot for marketing and political statements and such and it is disgusting. There are a looot of ways raising money via Planet Zoo without let it drift to problematic marketing and getting the companies advantage out of it. Taking tragedys to advertise a new dlc is on a totally different level then, say, giving a portio of the income of new sales fromthe base game away for a few weeks. Because it wouldn't use the "time" aspect anymore.

And in all honesty, I remember the uproar because there was a dlc a month after release. Can you imagine the poop-storm it will give when Frontier decides to rush out an ausralia dlc because the timing is right? That would harm the game and the company and definately not help australia. And it's not like people can't donate now - they just won't get a physical benefit from it. And I sure hope most people that can donate will do without getting a physical reward for it.

Not commentating on this specific suggestion, however I do like something along these lines but don't know if it would be possible or not.

I have no idea how it would work but could each DLC be sold with 2 prices, say £12 or £15 as an example. One is the base price for the expansion and the other is optional with the extra funds being donated to a wildlife cause either to do with a specific animal or region. Both options would have the same content and it would be purely optional for those that wanted to pay the higher price.

I'm not sure what to comment about the 'buy DLC, help Australia' idea, but I do have a concept of what the DLC might be about. (Pure speculation and ideas)

Animals: See the Animal Section...
Theme: Australian, duh!
Scenarios: 3.
Story: Bernie invites you to meet his new friends, who happens to be the Irwins and their friend, Wes Mannion. They give you a tour of Australia Zoo in all her glory. You are asked to do some basic zoo work for them, i.e. visitor numbers, animal arrivals, etc etc. That's Scenario 1.
Scenario 2: Fire is spreading across Australia like, well...wildfire! The Irwins urge you to head to one of their rescue centers and your job is to help care for all the sick and injured animals and releasing them back into the wild. You might even need to put out the occasional fire in the center.
Scenario 3: You and the Irwins head to Arizona, Terri's hometown for some conservation work. However, somehow Dominic Myers has contacted you and your friends and decides to throw some nicely-worded insults to the team. Heck, he even pokes fun at Steve Irwin's demise. Not wanting to be disheartened by the words of a no-good smartarse of a businessman, you decided to rework the conservation area into a unique wildlife reserve no one has ever built. After you've finished, it is revealed that Myers was insulted back by Irwin fans and charged for dishonoring people, but his whereabouts is yet to be revealed. Bernie pops in and congratulates you for your hard work, and Robert would remark that in some way, you're just like his dad: Strong, kind to animals, determined, etc etc. The Australian adventure ends here.

(Yes, I'm being ambitious here...)

Google Translator:

Good day,
I know that there are occasional promotions where you can buy goods and part of the purchase price is donated.

The goods were NOT offered more expensive.
Instead, the company temporarily waived part of its profits and also mentioned which organization the money went to.

This would also be an option if a suitable DLC should come out in the near future.
This would even be possible with the basic game.

That would be a donation from Frontier, not from us.

However, you could also contact this organization, or another one, and donate in addition.

But I don't think it makes sense that you should donate something in addition to the purchase price without giving the Frontier itself.

I would only see this as a cheap promotional bag.

At the moment I did not find out whether they donated in any other way.

Love from
Gabi

Original:
Guten Tag,
Ich kenne es so, das es gelegentlich Aktionen gibt, wo man Waren kaufen kann und von dem Kaufpreis ein Teil gespendet wird.

Die Waren wurden NICHT teurer angeboten.
Sondern die Firma verzichtete Zeitweise auf einen Teil ihres Gewinns und erwähnt auch an welche Orginisation das Geld geht.

Dies wäre auch eine Möglichkeit, sofern in naher Zukunft ein passendes DLC herauskommen sollte.
Dies wäre auch sogar mit dem Grundspiel möglich.

Das wäre aber dann eine Spende von Frontier, nicht von uns.

Jedoch man könnte sich selbst ja auch an diese genannte Orginisation, oder eine andere wenden und zusätzlich spenden.

Ich finde aber nicht das es sinnig ist, das man zusätzlich zum Kaufpreis etwas Spenden sollte, ohne das Frontier selbst etwas abgibt.

Dies würde ich auch nur als eine billige Werbemasche sehen.

Wobei ich mich momentan nicht informiert habe, ob die auf ne andere Art und Weise gespendet haben.

Lieben Gruß
Gabi

I'd rather see, as others already said, that Frontier (or any other person/business) sets up an event of sorts for people to donate money. Bringing out a paid DLC where only part of the money goes to a charity would be in very poor taste. Either you donate all the money to the charity or don't bother with bringing out any kind of DLC or content. I get where the idea is coming from, but why tie it to something people have to buy? Why not hand out (almost) free DLC and people can pay what they'd like and all that money goes to charity? That way people can pay what they can afford, get something in return and still help in whatever way they can.

I personally wouldn't expect someone to do something I am not willing to do myself, be it a company or an individual. I am not here to make money and employee, 10's, 100's or 1000's of people and have shareholders to answer to.

Everyone can do something good, every second. You do not have to wait to buy a virtual good, hoping that a share of that is donated by a profit orientated company.
Just donate the amount of the next DLC, your next coffee or your next sandwich and I am betting that this is more than a tiny share of 10-20 $ DLC.

The sentiment is good willed but I'm a bit iffy about companies who capitalize on events like this. It's always nice to bring more awareness but I don't know if releasing and selling a DLC pack is the "right" way? Intentions are easily misunderstood or impressionable that way. Especially now, after the comments about the timing of the Arctic pack. My preference goes to events like live streams. It feels more personal too. On the other hand, I do know that there are people who would only donate something if they could gain something themselves. In that way it would guide more people to do something. It's incredibly selfish but also reality, I guess. Either way, it's a sensitive subject.

I didn't read what you're talking about right now. I am sorry. the biggest culprits of this situation are people, that is us. people do nothing but harm nature. Believe me, I don't care about people who die. All I think about is animals. Every time I see those kangaroos and koas in that fire, my heart is hurts. I think that's what I'm most upset about in this life. This affected me deeply.
as I see the kangaroos in the middle of the fire... as I see koalas and other animals in the middle of the fire... 500 million animals... Oh so harrrd... 😔😥
ozfire.jpg

it is really bad that no one can do anything. and thousands more animals that have been abandoned to their fates, awaiting death...
What I fear most is the extinction of koalas...☹

Last edited:
Considering the fires and how many animals have died it would be a great time to release an Australian DLC. What would be even more amazing is if they set up a way that we could pay extra as a donation (pick an amount from a dropdown menu or something) and have 100% of that donation go to the Wildlife Hospitals who are working very hard to save animals. The Irwin's are working around the clock helping animals, I'd love to see Frontier be able to pitch in through us, it would be great publicity for the game too:

I would support this IF they made a koala, launched it as a stand alone DLC, charged £10 for it BUT 100% of the sales revenue went to wildfire fund. Even better if Frontier double what ever was raised.

Last edited:
Top Bottom