Ground combat tips?

Hello CMDRs,

I am having a hard time to survive in on-foot combat. I have bought a Maverick Suite and a Karma assoult rifle (all grade 1), and I am getting creamed every time I engage in NPC combat. Once I am detected, I get swarmed by multiple hostiles. When I break coer to attack, I loose my shields within a second or two, and if I don't run, I am dead within seconds. I only engage in Threat Level 2 missions (I did not find anything below that), and I am unable to eliminate a singe target without getting shot dead.

Is there a catch to that? Are those missions meant to be played in teams only?

o7

CMDR Maniac

If they have plasma ( purple shots ) then you'll lose shields almost instantly.

Karma weapons are almost completely useless against shields.

Maverick suit is not great for armour levels and only has one primary weapon so it's unless for full on combat.

I completed lots of ground missions in the Alpha.

I've failed and died on every single on foot mission in this Beta - even in the dominator suit with a plasma weapons. ( actually I failed one mission because I couldn't disembark due to unsafe temperatures and failed another because the default NPC voices were so quiet I didn't hear asking to scan me. )

Get some practice in.

Go to a system with a war, find a Low Security ground site and join in. Enemies there are pretty easy and you won't get focused on.

Using the Dominator suit with 1x Laser 1x Kinetic primaries was pretty easy. Laser their shields down, weapon switch, kill with kinetic.

That said, the default movespeed makes ground combat a bit clunky, and years sitting in one seat in a cockpit has left my Commander even less athletic than I am in real life, judging by their ability to sprint for all of five seconds. (Don't do this videogames, it's never been fun).

Using a Dominator suit equipped with an Executioner, Karma C-44 and a Zenith myself.
Picking off a couple from a distance with the executioner is fairly easy once you get the hang of the shell speed.
The Zenith is burst fire and can take out shields fairly effectively and the C44 has a high RoF and will maul anything thats unshielded.

If you want to get some distance and youre on a low grav planet. try sprinting and when you are about to tire out, jump, followed by tapping the spacebar to keep yourself afloat at sprinting speed for a fairly long time.

If they have plasma ( purple shots ) then you'll lose shields almost instantly.

Karma weapons are almost completely useless against shields.

Maverick suit is not great for armour levels and only has one primary weapon so it's unless for full on combat.

Thanks for the hints! I suspected that kinetic weapons are weak against shields, but I did not imagine that they are THAT useless. However, I was unable to find a vendor that sells something different. I looked for a Manticore unit in Empire controlled systems, but no luck so far. Same with suits. The stations I visited only had the Maverick G1 suit in stock.

Where did you get all the other stuff?

So the way to succeed at the new on-foot combat is to just not bother with it in the first place? :D
Well, I consider it more a "built-in cheat mode".
You can also work on your skill and gear up and do on foot combat "by the book" successfully.

Use a Dominator suit instead of the Maverick one for combat. You can hold 2 primary weapons and 1 secondary. On top of that you will have better protection in comparison to any other suit.
I would suggest having a kinetic and laser weapon. Otherwise you can run 2 plasma weapons, or 1 primary laser weapon and 1 primary plasma weapon. Secondary weapon is your choice, equip whatever you feel like using. If I use a plasma and laser primary, I would run a plasma or kinetic secondary.
Don't forget to turn on shields. Use cover, jump on roofs with your jetpack.
Upgrade your suit and weapons or try to find already upgraded ones.

Get some practice in.

Go to a system with a war, find a Low Security ground site and join in. Enemies there are pretty easy and you won't get focused on.

Using the Dominator suit with 1x Laser 1x Kinetic primaries was pretty easy. Laser their shields down, weapon switch, kill with kinetic.

Good advice!

Any idea where to to get the Dominator suit and Laser weapons?

Thanks for the hints! I suspected that kinetic weapons are weak against shields, but I did not imagine that they are THAT useless. However, I was unable to find a vendor that sells something different. I looked for a Manticore unit in Empire controlled systems, but no luck so far. Same with suits. The stations I visited only had the Maverick G1 suit in stock.

Where did you get all the other stuff?
If you are close to it. Sy base in LHS 3262 sells Plasma and i believe laser weapons and the Dominator suit. But im sure a lot of other places do

The SRV route doesn’t work for me as it violates the no-fire settlement rules and then you can’t complete the power regulator bit.
And for extra lulz the police will show up and blow your ship up if it’s parked nearby.
Ive taken to just running them over in the srv.

Or park your SRV on a roof with a clear field of fire as the NPCs are still relatively weak at dealing with verticality.

I completed my first Medium CZ without having to do more than move my SRV back and forth slightly on the roof. Only 1 NPC actually managed to make it up onto the roof and he didn't last long enough to do any damage. If you don't have Night Vision on your suit and it's dark this option also gives you the benefit of the SRV Night Vision to pick out your targets.

Top Bottom