Engineers Guide: Fast way to find Occupied Escape Pods near Colonia

Worked great today , equipped my Cobra 3 and I had the pods in about 20 minutes. It took just one run with 32 limpets.. I had to re-log once as the escape hatch was no longer available for hatching.

Oh I don't care about losing some. I'll be lucky to remember to bring some.

Ok I might have to schedule a trip out there now. Was waiting for the bug to be fixed (lol right?)

Here’s a tip if you are looking for Occupied Escape Pods to unlock Etienne Dorn in the Los system. It’s a fast way to collect them.

1:
Equip your ship with a Hatch Breaker Limpet Controller, a Collector Limpet Controller and a good number of limpets. I bought 60.

2: Go to the Luchtaine system near Colonia. When you are there head for the A 1 Gas Giant.

3: When you are within 1000 ls you’ll spot a Distress Call in the Nav Panel. Head for it and drop out of Supercruise when you are close enough. (Changes were made in 3.3, and if you don’t see the Distress Call try using the DSS to probe planet 1).

4: You’ll immediately spot a large Megaship. You’ll also spot a number of ships flying around, and they may be pirates and hostile. Fight them if necessary or go into Supercruise and drop again and hope you have better luck this time. Often you’ll only meet rescue ships.

5: Approach the Megaship. It’s badly damaged, inoperable and decommissioned. What you are about to do isn’t illegal here.

6: Target the Megaship and scan it with your Data Link Scanner and head for “Escape Hatch 3” under “Contacts”. When you are close enough you can use your Data Link Scanner again which will reveal a “Limpet Docking Point” under “Sub-targets”. Target the “Limpet Docking Point” and release a Hatch Breaker Limpet.

7: When the hatch doors open a good number of things will be blasted into space, and among them most likely some Occupied Escape Pods for you to collect with your Collector Limpets.

8: While your limpets are collecting you can target the “Limpet Docking Point” again and open the doors again with the Hatch Breaker Limpets. More pods will be ejected. You can do this a number of times.

I got 17 Occupied Escape Pods on my first try. More will spawn if you leave and return.

You may have to move your ship around to let the limpets get the pods without getting destroyed, and some of the pods may be trapped within the graphics and be unable to reach. You may also find a few in the Cargo Bays on the Megaship.

Hope this helps some of you. Sure beats the loooooooooong time it will take to collect Occupied Escape Pods on planets or in USS’ :D.

kN2rhIg.jpg

“Kraken’s Retreat”. Home of engineer Etienne Dorn in the Los system:
6JvRDYO.jpg

CrFLWP3.jpg

Have fun (y)
Thanks you for this. Really saved me from some grinding for these.

Still work in Odyssey. Even without any ships in the instance. Two pods was bugged inside megaship but I collected it all in two attempts. Thanks!

Thanks for guide. Its still works perfect. For some reasons on my first try I received 17 pods such like TS :) So with to tryes I received 25 pods. It take less than 15 minutes!!!

Thank you very much, good guide for a good spot.
I got my 25 pods in 2 sessions.

Note : You can also recover some occupied pods from cargo bay, mixed with other stuff.

Thank you very much, good guide for a good spot.
I got my 25 pods in 2 sessions.

Note : You can also recover some occupied pods from cargo bay, mixed with other stuff.
Your additional note is a great tip now that megaship looting has been fixed. Until, I think, update 12 (maybe 10 and then broken again in 11 and then fixed again in 12? It has been a bit of a drama) all of the cargo in the holds would just get stuck inside after hatch breaking and remain unrecoverable. It was very annoying as megaship looting is also the most efficient way to get thargoid probes.

I initially used the megaship method to gather occupied escape pods near Colonia. However, I found a way which I prefer although it might not be for everyone. I think it's quicker and does not require relogging.
Find a tourist beacon in anarchy space. The nearest to Colonia is Experimental Habitat 002 in Eol Prou LW-L c8-99. You can use EDDB to find them.
Take a combat ship with a lot of fire power and collector limpets. Blow up the Belugas which show up every couple of minutes - you'll get 8-12 occupied escape pods from each one. You will also get a lot of engineering materials. You need a lot of fire power since the Belugas will attempt to jump away and have to be destroyed quickly.

Top Bottom