Has anyone ever found Stratum Tectonicas on anything other than a thin ammonia polanet?

I used the filter for all the atmosphere types as recommended for exobiology but have only found the ST on planets with thin ammonia.

As of late I have only been doing thin ammonia planets and it has greatly streamlined my time.

Thank you.

The Dolphin makes a fine exploration ship.

Once again, I have been to 4 planets that were other than thin ammonia and zero stratum tectonicas.

At that rate trading is better money lol.

About the only planet type and bio combination I have got into my head is that neon with a single bio will be a 1,000,000 credit Bacterium that I have confirmed on Codex so not worth bothering with even with a SCO drive to get the time down.

I have found tectonicas on planets with a sulphur dioxide atmosphere more often than the other types, but beyond proving that they do appear on other atmosphere types than (thin) ammonia, I don't think it's anything other than anecdotal evidence.

Why just the one bio type, there are about 14 other bio types that are worth over 10 mil and a lot more between 5 and 10 mil, with the first logged bonus these can add up to a fair amount.

I have found one that was over 10 million, but although it was listed on the Elite observatory it had a red X meaning that it was not there. I have found some of the 7 million credit stuff, and the 3.5-million-dollar stuff, but anything below that I ignore unless I have the first foot fall. It gets too boring if I hang out on one planet for very long.

Requirements, note the star type changes for different colours the rest remains the same, different star types vary quite markedly all the way wolf-rayet for one colour type.

Attachments

• requirements.png
    requirements.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 43
I searched for ST to obtain Elite V, following my personal statistics I give some indications :
  • on KFM type stars
  • ONLY on HMC worlds
  • NEVER on moons
  • on average I had to visit 1000 systems to find 44 ST and gain 1 Elite rank every 10 days

I have found one that was over 10 million, but although it was listed on the Elite observatory it had a red X meaning that it was not there. I have found some of the 7 million credit stuff, and the 3.5-million-dollar stuff, but anything below that I ignore unless I have the first foot fall. It gets too boring if I hang out on one planet for very long.
Its the first foot fall that counts, then even a basic tussock is worth 5m.

I don't bother with anything now that another Cmdr has had first foot fall on, and I find the most fun from hunting out the hard to get to Bio's, I keep on my carrier an A rated Sidewinder (SCO drive) for places that my Asp cannot reach.

It’s the first foot fall that counts, then even a basic tussock is worth 5m.
Yes, but not everybody finds everything so some bonuses could be up for grabs particularly on lower value better hidden bios.

I don't bother with anything now that another Cmdr has had first foot fall on, and I find the most fun from hunting out the hard to get to Bio's, I keep on my carrier an A rated Sidewinder (SCO drive) for places that my Asp cannot reach.

First mapped can be a red herring, the world might have been mapped before Odyssey or you can still find stuff the harder way without mapping the planet.

First mapped can be a red herring, the world might have been mapped before Odyssey or you can still find stuff the harder way without mapping the planet.
Plenty of places have been mapped but have not got first footfall, I was mapping planets and even driving around in SRV for raw mats long before Odyssey.

Yes, I know that you can also find Bio's on planets have had first footfall that have not been discovered before but the OP seems to either trying to earn credits or boost their Exobiology ranking.

A lot of planets have only had stratum sampled leaving everything else.
Often I find multiple star systems where Cmdrs have decided against going to the second star, even when it's less than 1000 ls away.

Last edited:
Requirements, note the star type changes for different colours the rest remains the same, different star types vary quite markedly all the way wolf-rayet for one colour type.
Personally, I find K stars produce more Stratum Tectonicas then any other type. I've run several experiments filtering only one type of star at a time and K's come out way ahead of F stars which came in second. Just a small sample size from the Errant Marches Region so who knows how accurate this may be.

Last edited:
OP, all you want to do is look for High Metal Content Worlds with bio signals. Stratum is likely on them. I see many HMC Worlds when looking through AFGK stars (a good lineup for ELWs, WWs, and Terraformables, too).

I too only look for Stratum because nothing else is really worth my time to land and search for. Stratum is so easy to find, that all of the other options that pay worse, and just lost opportunity cost.

I too only look for Stratum because nothing else is really worth my time to land and search for. Stratum is so easy to find, that all of the other options that pay worse, and just lost opportunity cost.
Since you're required to earn 30.5 Billion to get from Mostly Directionless to Elite V you are pretty much forced to look for the most profitable and easiest to find bios.

Directionless0
Mostly Directionless22,500,000
Compiler83,475,000
Collector210,560,000
Cataloguer532,800,000
Taxonomist1,144,000,000
Ecologist2,262,600,000
Geneticist3,996,000,000
Elite8,426,250,000
Elite I12,969,000,000
Elite II17,292,000,000
Elite III21,560,000,000
Elite IV26,070,000,000
Elite V30,553,600,000

Last edited:
Since you're required to earn 30.5 Billion to get from Mostly Directionless to Elite V you are pretty much forced to look for the most profitable and easiest to find bios.
There is no requirement or forcing for any achievement in this game.

My Exobiologist rank was achieved just by collecting while exploring and both trade and exploration ranks were upgraded from Elite when they introduced the expanded grade.

Thank you.
OP, all you want to do is look for High Metal Content Worlds with bio signals. Stratum is likely on them. I see many HMC Worlds when looking through AFGK stars (a good lineup for ELWs, WWs, and Terraformables, too).

I found out that the planet needs to have at least 30% to have the stratum on them so now I glance at that in the system map before flying out to it. I tyested it a few times and it is true, if it has less than 30% (Whatever it is, I am an insomniac going on 36 hours with 4 hours of sleep lol) and you do a suface scan there will be a red X beside Stratum Tectonicas and there will be none on the planet.

Directionless0
Mostly Directionless22,500,000
Compiler83,475,000
Collector210,560,000
Cataloguer532,800,000
Taxonomist1,144,000,000
Ecologist2,262,600,000
Geneticist3,996,000,000
Elite8,426,250,000
Elite I12,969,000,000
Elite II17,292,000,000
Elite III21,560,000,000
Elite IV26,070,000,000
Elite V30,553,600,000
It depends on how much of a hurry you are in to be in the situation that the only reason left to do exobiology is because you enjoy it.

I pushed quite hard to reach Elite starting before the rebalance and finishing some time later, at that point I thought to relax and enjoy it more only to find I had reached Elite I almost by accident. Now as the stretch ranks have no great hold on me I intend to still do exobiology but the ‘drive’ will be more Codex based and I doubt I will bother trying to get everything in a system again.

Top Bottom