Has everything been discovered?! Any tips?

So I'm doing an exploration run in my decked out Asp Explorer and every system I hit has already been discovered and it's annoying.

I took a crack at the Road to Riches and made 3.8 million in like 40 minutes, so I figured exploration is where it's at. And you make big bucks if you find undiscovered planets that are terraformable or good for mining. But as I said, I can't find anything new.

Any tips for finding new planets or is it all just a matter of luck?

Exploration is still probably the worst paying career. With that said, if you want to find new systems you need to go WAY out of the bubble.

Fdevs said during the PS4 release stream that only 1% of the galaxy is discovered so far.
Go further out, maybe?

Good luck!

Exploration is still probably the worst paying career. With that said, if you want to find new systems you need to go WAY out of the bubble.

How do you figure?

The top 3 money makers in the game are bounty hunting, passenger transport, and exploration. Mining is essentially garbage.

I've made the majority of my money bounty hunting, especially thanks to the last 2 CG's. Now it's kind of a grind. If I camp a high res site solo I can make about 1 million in maybe 30-40 minutes, but that's me. Compare that to the 3.8 million I made just by doing the first 5 systems in the Road to Riches, which also took me about 40 minutes.

Passenger runs can pay well but it's time consuming, and sometimes you just get bad luck and can't find good missions.

So yea, not sure why you say exploration is a bad way to make money. Sure it's boring and lonely and seems like it takes forever. But explore for 2 hours and scan everything you can, then jump to a station and turn it all in and you could have tens of millions worth of data.

How do you figure?

The top 3 money makers in the game are bounty hunting, passenger transport, and exploration. Mining is essentially garbage.

I've made the majority of my money bounty hunting, especially thanks to the last 2 CG's. Now it's kind of a grind. If I camp a high res site solo I can make about 1 million in maybe 30-40 minutes, but that's me. Compare that to the 3.8 million I made just by doing the first 5 systems in the Road to Riches, which also took me about 40 minutes.

Passenger runs can pay well but it's time consuming, and sometimes you just get bad luck and can't find good missions.

So yea, not sure why you say exploration is a bad way to make money. Sure it's boring and lonely and seems like it takes forever. But explore for 2 hours and scan everything you can, then jump to a station and turn it all in and you could have tens of millions worth of data.

Well OK, its #3 of 4.
Passenger missions pay a better CPH rate, and if you take long range missions you can do advanced scans all the way there and back to essentially double your pay out.

Well OK, its #3 of 4.
Passenger missions pay a better CPH rate, and if you take long range missions you can do advanced scans all the way there and back to essentially double your pay out.

Lol I wasn't ranking them I was just listing them. IMO, if you had to pick just ONE job to do to make money, I'd recommend getting an Asp and exploring if you want the big bucks. Again, just opinion.

But yea, you bring up a good point that you can combine transport with exploration, but it may limit your time because of passenger constraints. Anyone can do a discovery scan the moment they hit a system, but the real money comes from finding the planets. If you're toting around passengers and on a time limit then you can't really fly around and scan every planet in every system you jump in.

Lol I wasn't ranking them I was just listing them. IMO, if you had to pick just ONE job to do to make money, I'd recommend getting an Asp and exploring if you want the big bucks. Again, just opinion.

But yea, you bring up a good point that you can combine transport with exploration, but it may limit your time because of passenger constraints. Anyone can do a discovery scan the moment they hit a system, but the real money comes from finding the planets. If you're toting around passengers and on a time limit then you can't really fly around and scan every planet in every system you jump in.

Yeah you can make more cash from detailed scans, but when you're going 2-8000ly it doesn't matter much. The passive income will easily double the mission payout.

Theres still loads of undiscovered places, 99%, the galaxy is so big it would take 100s of years for millions of us exploring to discover them all,

Ive got my name on a few systems as first to find it and I only jumped out a little way, 1000ly or so I started finding places that nobody else had been to. It is a nice payout, some systems are worth 100,000s. Alot more if you find something nice which I didnt. A few planets with life but nothing to write home about. Google the payout chart for things worth scanning.

You dont have to be first to find it to make a lot of money, but you get a bonus if you do.

I think earth like worlds are more likely to be found on stars similar to our own F G class.

I found plenty of undiscovered systems when I took a trip 3000LY out the bubble, so you don't have to go too far to find them. It's not something that will give you a huge amount of credits for your time though, by the time I got back and handed in I would have made a lot more just spending that time running passenger and trade missions instead.

Don't explore for the credits, explore for the sights, the sounds, the danger, the glory. And bring a book. :p

I think its one of the best ways to make cash.

Ive got 16M of assests
I made 12M of it in exploration, Ive visted 235 systems, 321 jumps, 1200Ly from the start.
I only explored for one night a few hours, and only got 4m the whole of the other time of my playtime. I didnt have the patience to do it that well either, or the gear to do it properly, I had a cobra that I couldnt afford to kit out properly and 400k in the bank when I started that took me ages to get, one trip later I came home and now I got an Asp with a few A rated modules. No real idea where I was going or without any knowlege of places to go, just away from the bubble in a direction.

I was shocked how much I got, came home to cash the data in, 4mil, I thought mmmm thats nice, for a little jaunt out, then I realised that was only page 1 of 5 :)

Last edited:
I got a lot of undiscovereds around 1.5 kly out. Just remember most people jump max range so 20+Ly if you go in between those jumps there's quite a bit not found yet. Mind you it's mainly Icy Rocky stuff as a lot of explorers also suss out what type of star has a higher chance of the big payout planets and concentrate on those systems. Try to not head towards a nebula or point of interest in the Galaxy straight from the bubble as those routes will be well travelled. Just head out into the middle of nowhere (good advice I've read in the past is go straight up or down from the bubble a few 100ly first) then check out the nebula, hopefully a random route would be better.

It's the easiest and most relaxing way to make money as long as you don't mind the thought of losing days/weeks/or even months of data(thus credits) if you get destroyed. I just wish FD would put in a little bonus for fully scanning a system.

Any tips for finding new planets or is it all just a matter of luck?

1 - Head further out. A lot of the stuff within, roughly, 1,000 Ly of the bubble will have been found by now.
2 - Stay off tourist paths. By which I mean, don't head towards a popular hotspot (like Sag A*) directly. Take the scenic route.
3 - Come off the zero plane. A lot of people think two-dimensionally, so if you head up or down through the plane you're more likely to find undiscovered stuff.

Money money money... Cash cash cash.... [money] [money] [money]

Doesn't anyone explore for the fun of it? I just want to write my name in the stars :)

To the OP - many systems (not all) up to about 1,000 LY from the bubble has been "discovered". To many people, 1,000 LY is "very far". To a friend of mine, he refuses to go anywhere further than 150 LY from where he is, calling those distances "ungodly far away".

To people like me, 1,000 LY is a short trip of about 15 to 20 mins. You will start finding undiscovered, unexplored systems further out. Obvious places like nebulas and neutron stars (especially that "Neutron Highway") etc... have already got people's names slapped on them :)

Anyway don't be discouraged if you keep seeing other people's names tagged on the systems you go to. To you, you have not found it. You have not "discovered" it. You can still honk and scan and still get money (just not as much as the very first guy that did it). So you can still "discover" systems within the 1,000 LY radius.

Oh and if you're doing it because of money... well make sure to scan every planet and star in the system(s) you discover, to maximise your cash earnings. Don't just honk and jump. You'll only get a token "oh yeah you kinda found this" cash amount for it.

Last edited:
Its surprising how far out from the bubble you can stray in a short time, then you look at the galaxy map and the bubble is way in the distance, and its even more surprising how long it takes to get back, its like going on holiday in a jet plane and then riding the way back home on a donkey.

Top Bottom