Have rangers become imbecilic with the last patch?

With my most recent challenge mode run, I have definitely noticed the rangers getting stuck more frequently. Near gates, dinosaurs, corners of buildings... either just sitting there with a ? over them like they can't pathfind, or just sit there and do absolutely nothing until you take control of them. I really hope this gets fixed soon; I'll probably do a bug report on it later.

They also wait too long between actions so you can't even strategise and have them toss a flare before refilling a feeder because they'll wait until the flare goes out to head towards the feeder. It's as if they WANT to get attacked.

They also wait too long between actions so you can't even strategise and have them toss a flare before refilling a feeder because they'll wait until the flare goes out to head towards the feeder. It's as if they WANT to get attacked.

They are like TAUNTING the dinos!
"Come and get me FRIAR TUCK!"

So far flares don't do anything. When I tried them, the animals ignored them. The AI is terrible for them. I have to micromanage as I can do it better by myself than sending them out where they get beat up or destroyed when I don't intervene. It's a bit annoying.

I've noticed this too, even if I have a ranger station right by the gate of a paddock they take forever finding their way there. Sometimes I even get "Ranger Team X can't find it's way to the target" warnings, even though the path is clear and not even very far. Then, half the time they'll stop way too far from a target animal and just sit there wasting ammunition instead of getting closer. I've had animals die just waiting for the rangers to medicate them, even though there was a clear path between the ranger jeep and the infected dino, and I sent it out as soon as they got sick.

I've also had issues with the pathing of tour cars. They like to randomly turn sideways and block the track for no reason, and then there is no way to get them moving again without saving and reloading (which resets tour cars.) It would be nice if the Driveable Park Tour upgrade let you personally take over a selected car, like in JPOG. Right now it's basically useless for anything but joyriding in the explorer.

It's been developing that way for a while, there were issues that I'd noticed with Nublar North in campaign that hit elsewhere. The easiest to see is if you send or drive Rangers to the top area near the generator, you often end up with them getting stuck on the way back in a lot of areas.

I think that the big thing with them is that their AI doesn't seem to recognize decorations as being in their way when pathfinding, leading to problems as they keep trying to drive through it.

On top of that the Rangers and ACU have had their accuracy bottom out even more that even with max accuracy upgrades, they aren't that much more accurate than the old base level (And, again, they don't view decorations as obstacles in their way so will often try to shoot through rocks and trees...).

The ranger A.I. does need some tweaking. I recall the times when I would task them to fill in feeders next to each other, and they were slowly turning the car around to reach those feeders. I didn't mind it at first, but they infuriatingly dash back to the station in a perfect and fast path so often when all tasks are done, really different from how they are handling the tasks.

I also noticed that damaged jeeps ignore taskings and go straight back to the ranger station if they get down below a certain point. Then, oddly enough, as soon as they park at the ranger station they go back out to do their assigned task, without stopping to repair.

I just sent another ranger issue I've noticed to the issue tracker, regarding the issue I mentioned where Ranger jeeps don't drive close enough to actually hit their target when sent on darting missions.

Interesting, this never happened to me
yeah, it is most noticeable if you have a large enclosure with big dinos, or if the enclosure has a big hill with a good view of them. The rangers stop to shoot as soon as they come into line of sight of the target. You can tell that's what they're doing because they turn the jeep around to give the shooter a clean shot, and then the money starts ticking down by $5k a dart. I'm not sure what the actual range limits of the ranger rifles are in the game code, but they clearly can't hit at this range, or else they would be able to knock out or cure their target.
20200129115708_1.jpg

this isn't even the most egregious example I've seen of this bug. In this case, the target is an Apotosaurus, and the jeep is parking on the crest of a ridge overlooking the lagoon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom