Real World Theme Parks Have you ever experienced a break down during a ride?

Six Flags Great Adventure this past weekend...On Saturday, in line for Superman, it sent out empty train after empty train as they then announced it's down. On Sunday, El Toro stopped on the lift hill three trains before I could get on. If it had stopped with me on it, I might not have made it to the Amtrak station in Philadelphia in time to go home.

Other than that, it was an excellent weekend.

Once a few years ago on the Mine Train Ride in Walibi Belgium. It stalled on the final brakerun and we where trapped for aprox 10 minutes. Nothing exciting really and not something to get upset about.

The park however thought about this otherwise and we got a free fastpass on one ride of choice. So as the waiting line for the Loop-Garou was almost 1 hour we used it on that one.

That's where my girlfriend lost her phone (fell out of her pocket) but we noticed this only about 30 mins later. Someone returned it to the customer service (as it should be) so in the end a good day!

Ride Breakdowns are attracted to me

I think i have had not only a lot of breakdowns on rides, but they have been for very long periods of time.

Rides that I have been stuck on:
1. Test Track - Epcot - was stuck twice on the same vacation. One of the times I went on the ride in the solo cue, and I was about 14 so I had no parents nearby and was freaking out slightly. This lasted about a good thirty minutes.
2. Harry Potter The Forbidden Journey - This was probably the worst shutdown situation possible. BTS this ride is a mechanical arm with seats on the end of it, similar to the robot arms used to make cars. This allows for intense angles and some that were slightly upside down. This only happens at one point in the ride, where a tree attacks you. It last for about a second, and the ride shut down at that position for an hour. Again, 15 or so and in the solo cue, so I'm with a bunch of strangers that I didn't know.
3. Gringotts - Short Shutdown, only about 10 minutes, wasnt as bad.
4. Carousel of Progress - The voice box broke on the robot and created a disturbing sound that was funny to watch. Sounded like the guy over the intercom in Spaceballs. This got worse as the ride didnt start rotating at a point and the music continued playing for way too long.
5. At least 5 rollercoasters, I cannot remember which ones though but they went to busch gardens to multiple six flags.

once I went to Drayton Manor And Got Stuck On The Water Coaster Ride Thing. Worst Part it was tipping it down with rain and we were soaking wet. Waited about half an hour. I have also got stuck on a ghost train once and me and my friends were panicking so we started dancing to my music. (what is love) and we somehow got the ride to start going again! [cool]

I got stuck for about 20 minutes on the mind eraser at darien lake. The coaster came to a full stop at the end and I couldn't get out of my seat

I think the only time I've been stuck on a ride is Rougarou at Cedar Point.
My sister also got stuck on that ride for 50 minutes, and got a Front of the Line pass

I was at Dreamland Margate this summer and was super excited to ride the Scenic Railway. For those who don't know, this is the UK's oldest rollercoaster. It's not actually that old because it's been rebuilt about 3 times since it first opened due to fires, but because it is listed it has been rebuilt exactly the same each time. It's not the most thrilling coaster around, but it has a lot of character, particularly because the only brakes are operated by one of the staff who sits in the middle of the train with a brake lever. They have to slow the train down at each corner because of a lack of banked turns. The first time we rode it, the guy operating the brake lever slowed it down too much on the last turn and we stopped before getting to the station! It was quite funny because I'd literally just said to my mum that if they braked too hard we'd get stuck, and it happened a few seconds later! They had to call someone who walked along the track to come and give us a push back into the station, but we were sitting on the front so to see someone walking along the middle of a coaster track was super weird!

Got stuck again!
This time on Gatekeeper, and on the lift hill this time as well. I was sitting in the front row with my Uncle (His first time), and as we came out of the station, I could tell the ride was gonna break down. How did I know? The brakes engaged as we were leaving the station. Normally, the park closed at 12:00. From what I could see on the lift hill, the traffic out was AWFUL. I could see the traffic all along the causeway. They were able to fix it, and we ended up riding twice, once in the front and once in the 2nd row. My uncle's thoughts? He thought it was awesome!

Got stuck again!
This time on Gatekeeper, and on the lift hill this time as well. I was sitting in the front row with my Uncle (His first time), and as we came out of the station, I could tell the ride was gonna break down. How did I know? The brakes engaged as we were leaving the station. Normally, the park closed at 12:00. From what I could see on the lift hill, the traffic out was AWFUL. I could see the traffic all along the causeway. They were able to fix it, and we ended up riding twice, once in the front and once in the 2nd row. My uncle's thoughts? He thought it was awesome!
Hehe, seems like luck strike you twice.
Cool that you were able to forecast the breakdown. [cool]

Last edited:
Haha first time i discover this thread the story's are so funny lol. Can't say i have ever experienced a break down but lots of close calls. Like when De Vliegende Hollander opened in its first week. Waited more then 2 hours the ride was great. But after that it broke down i was so lucky.

And 20 years ago school trip to Disney Paris. They introduced fast-pass i had never heard of it. And it costed a lot of money extra and no one bothered to buy it. But it was busy so i thought this maybe could be a good deal. Well i've been in countless ride's. Space mountain i went on for like 10 times. You could reserve for 2 rides and it gave you a time to be present and you didn't have to wait in que. Well i offcourse directly did that and every time i came out of a ride i directly reserved for the next ride well... I had the time of my life!

Last edited:
Yes, sadly. Back during one of my first visits to Disney World.

Pirates of the Caribbean

We were in the last leg, rolling our way through the ransacked pirate town and right past the prison, when suddenly a loud noise echoed through the whole place and our boats all stopped. We were free floating at the time, but when that happened, we ended up having boat after boat bump into each other gently and wait there. Some lights came on quick as I guess maintenance came in, but we sat next to that ❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎ dog and prisoners trying to tempt him over for a good half hour before we got back to the endge of the ride.

Yeah, never had that experience again in Disney, but was still one that stuck.

Yes, sadly. Back during one of my first visits to Disney World.

Pirates of the Caribbean

We were in the last leg, rolling our way through the ransacked pirate town and right past the prison, when suddenly a loud noise echoed through the whole place and our boats all stopped. We were free floating at the time, but when that happened, we ended up having boat after boat bump into each other gently and wait there. Some lights came on quick as I guess maintenance came in, but we sat next to that ❤︎❤︎❤︎❤︎ dog and prisoners trying to tempt him over for a good half hour before we got back to the endge of the ride.

Yeah, never had that experience again in Disney, but was still one that stuck.

Woah! That sounds like the exact scenario I wrote about in the top post of this tread! [haha]
Who knows, were we there at the same time?

Woah! That sounds like the exact scenario I wrote about in the top post of this tread! [haha]
Who knows, were we there at the same time?

Hey, I was in potc at disney too, and it broke down in like 2011 or 2012 and i was stuck at the fire scene i believe, nearby the jail scene, so i might have been there too![wink] it was boring.I didnt enjoy the technical details as much, i was like 8 or 9 at the time

Top Bottom