Head tracker

Hey folks, I want to get a head tracker and was looking at the head tracker pro wireless but see the company went bust, have they been replaced with an alternative?

Cheers

Elite should work with any head tracking solution using TrackIR or FreeTrack protocols. There are different options to go for when choosing both hardware and software, including paid, free and DIY.

You've go the commercial TrackIR, which is a hardware+software combo. Software side, I'd recommend free OpenTrack which supports several types of tracking devices - including cameras, gyros and networked devices. There's also other programs, like FaceTrackNoIR, or quite old FreeTrack. There's also paid SmoothTrack app for smartphones, which communicates with OpenTrack on your computer.

Hardware side, it's usually a fast webcam and IR LEDs. That includes paid TrackClip Pro, paid alternatives like DelanClip or LaserClip, or dusting off the soldering iron and creating your own "clip". Popular webcam is a Playstation 3 Eye Camera, which may require removal of an IR filter.

Hey folks, I want to get a head tracker and was looking at the head tracker pro wireless but see the company went bust, have they been replaced with an alternative?

Cheers
If you're talking about EDtracker, then I've found this, DIY version:

There are also things like Trackhat. That is an alternative to TrackIR. So you either have the cap or clip, and you use a modified web-cam, and then OpenTrack software. These are also compatible with TrackIR sensors, so if you have access one of those, but your clip is broken, you can one these as replacement.

This is a middle ground from the DIY solutions, and a complete package like from TrackIR

TrackIR receptors are still for sale for around £120. I use mine with the Delanclip wireless tracker: costs another £57. I tried VR but found it well overhyped and difficult to use; but trackers are the business.

Cheers

Save yourself a lot of aggro and shell out for TrackIR (if you can find one) - beware the knock-offs and the £400 scalpers - it is far superior to EDtracker (which I have in my junk box) - well worth the money and is amazing in Elite and in flight sims, driving sims, even railway sims believe it or not.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions folks, iv been doing some more googling and came across the Tobii 4c which im really liking the look of, bit out of my price range for the time being as my industry is essentially shut down but will hopefully be able to get one down the line.

just to get a taste for what head tracking is like though I found and installed an app on my phone that connects directly to Opentrack and uses your phone camera to track your head movement, its called TrackAR and only cost 2 euro. Im honestly impressed with it for the price, im sure it wont be as good as the suggestions above but if you want to try out head tracking its a good option.

I haven't tried it, but eye tracking for ED sounds . . . irritating, to put it lightly. If you glance down at your HUD with your eyes, wouldn't it just pan the camera down? That would drive me nuts. With head tracking you can move the camera by turning your head, which is natural, and glance with your eyes without turning your head, also natural. There's also the issue that a lot of eye movement isn't deliberate. For example, when people ponder something, they often turn there eyes aside. Wouldn't you end up turning your camera unintentionally? I believe I've seen other people mention they use eye tracking, so perhaps they could chime in.

Also sounds much more prone to issues due to your surroundings. I can't imagine it would work nearly as well as a solution like TrackIr Pro if you play with the lights off at night.

Iv no idea what effect it might have, I do know that it has both head and eye tracking and they can be used seperatly or together. ObsidianAnt mentioned in one of his videos that he uses the Tobii 4c and he seems to know the game fairly well 🤷‍♂️ hopefully someone with expierience will chime in.

Iv been playing around with the settings on Opentrack in combination with TrackAR and I have to admit im really impressed, Iv cleared all the jitteryness and its tracking really smooth, absolutly great for a practically free option. might do a vid showing the results

Iv no idea what effect it might have, I do know that it has both head and eye tracking and they can be used seperatly or together. ObsidianAnt mentioned in one of his videos that he uses the Tobii 4c and he seems to know the game fairly well 🤷‍♂️ hopefully someone with expierience will chime in.

Iv been playing around with the settings on Opentrack in combination with TrackAR and I have to admit im really impressed, Iv cleared all the jitteryness and its tracking really smooth, absolutly great for a practically free option. might do a vid showing the results

I have used both Tobii 4c and TrackIR, now Tobii have got better with time and the new Tobii 5 seems to have fixed a few of the issues 4c had. Also the software and addition of the head tracking have improved quite alot from when I used it instead of TrackIR... what I found most trouble some with Tobii, is that I need to be much more static, I found myself chasing the screen, what I mean by this, I want to read something that is not centered, like how much hull does my target has, as my eyes move to where on the screen this text is, Tobii now make the screen scroll to put what I am after to be in the center of the scree, but I knew where that infor where, so I am still trying to find the text in the wrong place, so now have to look "back" towards the center of the screen, and in the beginning, I overshot the text a few times... often I managed to read it as I it scrolled by, and I could move back to follow the target again.
Also I am a notorious multiscreen user, so I had 6 monitors when I tried Tobii, 3 screeen in a super wide screen, for games etc, and 3 auxiliary monitors for entertainment, chat, browsing etc. so with plenty of chat messages, I glanced over to the chat windows and with Tobii, I always scrolled the screen, but with TrackIR I could just move my eyes quickly to get a glance...

Tobii is not bad, it is different, and if you are being used with using something like TrackIR first. you will have a learning curve to overcome some of the things you have picked up using TrackIR...

Tobii 4c had limited mounting system, it basically had one angel to mount the sensor bar, so if you screen is not in the correct position, the tracking worked badly, the mount is otherwise really nice, as you just place a metal piece, on your monitor, and then Tobii snaps on to this metal piece with magnets. What Tobii 5 seems to have done, is to add a new mounting bracket, that allows you tilt your sensorbar, which is a great addition, as I had to manually figure out to change the angle on the mounting of my sensorbar. When used on my laptop, it worked much better, as you would have at much better angle to being with here.
Tobii 4c was also sensitive to light sources, and some would interfere with the tracking, so you might have to adjust some lights in your room, they claim that the new Tobii 5 have stronger lights and should work better in various light conditions, so you do not need to play in the dark all the time...

TrackIR and similiar solutions are "simpler" and easier to get into, so that is why I recommend these over Tobii, and if you are on a budget, then Tobii is expensive...

Tobii 4c and he seems to know the game fairly well 🤷‍♂️ hopefully someone with expierience will chime in.

i can relate to misty_dark's experience. tobii is a quite interesting gadget, it might work well if you are obsidianant and just gently stroll over planet surfaces recording videos left and right, but for any serious business including fast paced action it is a no-go. mine is stuffed away, awaiting use.

the inherent problem of eye tracking is that eyes move erratically and very fast, so the motion has to be smoothed out via software. which works, and can be tuned to some extent, but imo can't just keep up with the rapid survey of different parts of your field of vision that you need in some circumstances, e.g. combat.

ironically, tracking your head movement is much more primitive but much more convenient. you will have to get used to it, and you might get a bit of neck ache at first, but it works very well.

Last edited:
I've tried the TrackIR, the Tobii EyeX and 4C (IIRC the EyeX is eye-tracking only, the 4C has eye and head tracking).

After playing with the EyeX and 4C for a while, I eventually got used to them. Not needing the cable and clip is nice (though I always play with headphones anyway, so it's not a huge change). But there are some big downsides, in my experience:

- (biggest one) EyeX and 4C feel fairly responsive, but when you switch to TrackIR it's like night and day. I suspect any eye-tracking solution needs to add a little 'input smoothing' because of involuntary eye movement that would otherwise make the screen go crazy; but this results in lag. Eye tracking feels very sluggish by comparison with head tracking. If you've never tried head-tracking you won't miss it, but once you have it's hard to go back.

- I never could get eye tracking to be as accurate as head-tracking. Generally it's not an issue, but if you're trying to target items by looking at them, it's great with TrackIR, and very awkward with eye-tracking, particularly if you don't have an on-screen cursor/crosshair.

- The TrackIR software lets you create/import curve profiles specific to each game; for instance in ED I have a 'deadzone' around the left, right and crotch cockpit screens, which makes it a lot easier to use them (without having to keep my head P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y still to prevent them de-focusing and disappearing).

- Reading text with eye-tracking is ridiculous. Not sure how it could be anything else... As you start to read from left to right, the device detects your eye movement and scrolls everything left, so you have to look back left to focus on what you were reading, which causes the screen to scroll right again. Text wobble. Major eye strain. Not always a problem when gaming, but painful with using the in-cockpit screens.

Back
Top Bottom