Hello FDev: Pay Off Your Horizon Debt Before PS4

No I'm not 14, considerably older. Maybe you didn't notice my avatar has an original Elite badge in it, earned by me, at the time. I've waited 15 years for Elite 4.

1 year = 1 month it seems nowadays - ok maybe 2. The things I was referencing are not even "in game" items - I was referring to the actual bonus "rewards" as part of the kickstarter tiers; the last of which dropped only middle of this year - and it's not even a physical thing, but digital.

I've just checked it again and out of the 92 pages in the art book only a half dozen have recent content, about the SRV, plus a few pictures of the bay fighters; majority of the rest is from the development time. (and when did the SRV arrive? longer than 6 months ago you say?)

It's clear it was considered "secondary" to other goals. Some might argue they are, but it's the mindset that bothers me so much.

I hate to say it, but I'm certain there will be kickstarter backers and launch players who will have died before getting everything laid out in the kickstarter, because DB and FDev have this mindset that it's "OK" to make people wait up to 10 years for all that was outlined in the original KS and devblogs that followed.

And that is just not cool, and what drives my (some might say incessant) prodding of FDev to remind them of thier obligations, and just for the record I'd do the same to any kickstarter if they fell off the wagon. Some might ask "why are you even still here, according to your sig you're not even playing the game" and they are right I'm not - just 22 hours of the alpha logged - but I'm still here because they took my money and sold me a bill of goods, and I'm going to do what I can to remind them of that, repeatedly.

And here's another thought - now that it's been proven beyond any doubt that the space sim genre has just as much following now as before, who's to say there is not a devhouse working right now on something to slot after SC but BEFORE FDev can deliver "everything else" (TM) but keeping it quiet, especially after seeing how No Man's Sky got spitroasted. There are probably more people now with Hotas style gaming peripherals than there has ever been in gaming history. The gaming field is ripe for more spacesims and Fdev better remember there is no such thing as a loyal gamer and people won't wait forever. When SC drops, ED will be in a real fight to hold onto players.

Good post in the spirit of this thread and what's happening. It's a real shame to see where things are today +24 months after release versus what we were all sold before the game launched. I refused to buy-in during Kickstarter but did so later in the early beta period. And as an early customer am still waiting for the bill of goods (and then making the mistake of buying into Horizons and waiting for it's bill of goods to be delivered - shame on me...). Those that bought Elite after launch or even more recently have no real voice here as the product they bought was fully defined - this is different.

FDev's PS4 announcement simply says that they remain focused on prioritizing new revenue over fulfilling past obligations and liabilities. Really, it's that simple and it's irresponsible but other companies do this as well. They essentially "got away with it" last year with the quick shift to the xBox release together with a loyal loud fan base accepting this. But when the PS4 release is done they will have tapped out all new revenue channels. And as you say SC and other games are getting closer to their releases so the future of this game is really questionable if it tries to compete as it is today. It's not idle 'doom and gloom' talk but simple facts.

Get Horizons back as a priority, stop messing with "2.2.0x" trivial matters, and get the game finished before too many leave. Or not.

Last edited:
Good post in the spirit of this thread and what's happening. It's a real shame to see where things are today +24 months after release versus what we were all sold before the game launched. I refused to buy-in during Kickstarter but did so later in the early beta period. And as an early customer am still waiting for the bill of goods (and then making the mistake of buying into Horizons and waiting for it's bill of goods to be delivered - shame on me...). Those that bought Elite after launch or even more recently have no real voice here as the product they bought was fully defined - this is different.

FDev's PS4 announcement simply says that they remain focused on prioritizing new revenue over fulfilling past obligations and liabilities. Really, it's that simple and it's irresponsible but other companies do this as well. They essentially "got away with it" last year with the quick shift to the xBox release together with a loyal loud fan base accepting this. But when the PS4 release is done they will have tapped out all new revenue channels. And as you say SC and other games are getting closer to their releases so the future of this game is really questionable if it tries to compete as it is today. It's not idle 'doom and gloom' talk but simple facts.

Get Horizons back as a priority, stop messing with "2.2.0x" trivial matters, and get the game finished before too many leave. Or not.

Which obligations and liabilities are you talking about?

Eh, no.

Speculation would be "Season 2 is coming slower because of PS4 work" or "Season 2 is progressing as expected, despite PS4 work". What I said was entirely neutral: "PS4 work doesn't mean that season 2 is progressing slower". I didn't make a claim of my own, I pointed out a claim that was itself speculation.

You didn't make a claim? Do you understand the meaning of the word claim when used as a rebuttal?

"PS4 work doesn't mean that season 2 is progressing slower"

You claimed that PS4 work doesn't mean that season 2 is progressing slower. What part of that sentence is not a claim?

Not that I care one way or the other because I'm not a CP.

It's just your comment as as much of a claim as someone who says that PS4 dev work is influencing release times of the next patch.

You didn't make a claim? Do you understand the meaning of the word claim when used as a rebuttal?

You claimed that PS4 work doesn't mean that season 2 is progressing slower. What part of that sentence is not a claim?

It's just your comment as as much of a claim as someone who says that PS4 dev work is influencing release times of the next patch.

I think he wanted to say "PS4 work doesn't necessarily mean that season 2 is progressing slower", because there is no way we could know how PS4 influences Season 2 development.

I am sorry I have not read the entire thread but what I have read has led me to believe that there are ALOT of self-entitled BSers out there.

Anything that may or may have not been stated in the original Kickstarter proposal is moot in the main. Did they specify a detailed project plan with full delivery dates and feature lists for those dates? If not then they have ZERO obligations to deliver anything with-in a specific timescale. Even then, FD would still be well with-in their rights to scrap or revise any such project schedule.

That being said, the original impression was that the target timeline for a season was going to be about a year per season. However, as anyone with at least some experience in project planning should know projects do not always go to plan. The reasons for departures from project plans are many and varied and without insider knowledge we will have no idea of the root cause for the delays/notional-schedule-extensions and it is fair to say that we have no right to such information either as it would by it's inherent nature be commercially sensitive.

Last edited:
There's nothing special or unique about ED's forums in that regard.

Well there is in as much as the game was a kickstarter and many of the original backers feel that they own the IP, or at least part own this iteration of it. They certainly come across that way whenever anybody suggests changes to the game that might actually improve it for everybody.

I think the problems stem from FDev hinting at what their vision is then contradicting that with the gameplay. Blaze your own trail only goes so far when certain gameplay aspects make that hard.

You don't blaze your own trail though, you blaze the trail FD want you to blaze.

This is how I imagine meetings go in the FD design room.

"You know, 70% of the playerbase are using gimballed weapons"
"Really? They must be OP, nerf them."

"Lots of people seem to be running delivery missions these days"
"Really? They must be paying too much, reduce the payouts"

"Lot of bounty hunters in resource extraction sites these days eh"
"Hmmm, that's not right, bounty payments must be too high, reduce them"

"Those new passenger missions don't seem that popular yet"
"Buff the payouts to ludicrous levels or nerf everything else, that'll get peoples attention"

"Lots of people doing passenger missions now after those recent chnages"
"Well we can't have that, the payouts must be too high, better reduce them"

Ad smegging infinitum.

Do you understand context? He's saying he didn't make a claim as to whether or not development of the PS4 version was slowing down development.

I can't believe that even needs to be pointed out. [blah]

That's human in numbers : the more numerous we are, the dumber we are.
It is like this for most successfull games, and their devs usually know better than listening to endless crying and "me wants that", because they usually know where they're going.
As you point out, FD fails to do that to some extent; but blaming the community for that is pushing the envelope a tad far...

Yes, but arguably players don't have the same impact elsewhere, as the developer has worked out it can be conned by the community and bad things happen. Frontier mean well, but they are pretty overwhelmed by it all. Commanders are using this to their advanatage, which is on them. Or us. For not holding people to the same standard. Frontier coddling the player groups? That's on them, though and it's gotten pretty bad.

It's a combination of the two. But pretending players are innocent here is equally going a bit far. Frontier struggle. This much is obvious. It's too much to iterate design, and run CGs and manage groups and court the community. So we get path of least resistance outcomes. Need things to make PVP groups happy. Add timers to make immersives happy. And so on.

Here are good changes, but often overshadowed. It's around the wrong way.

Last edited:
I suspect ED will be pretty damn impressive by 2020.

Don't be to hasty now. The many elements and mechanics that make up a game start off from a foundation/engine that supports them. If ED is really trying to be as broad in scope as SC to me it looks like SC is moving faster than ED. Who can say what stumbling blocks a huge game might run into along the way. We seem to see some happening with ED at the moment.

It looks like FD is possibly facing the difficulties of a game being designed as it is played at the same time. This may lead to more problems than initially intended. SC may not have these problems to such a degree with it's different design process.

If you have been paying attention you can see that SC, while not optimized, has a lot of the base structure already worked out. If compaired by base mechanics that are built SC is now not so far behind ED. The fewer than quarterly updates we have been seeing do not add so much content, as we quickly see they provide little depth to sustain game play.

Depth of game play is what keeps players interested. Small little things like voice acting and character
interaction go far. Many of these types of mechanics have already been shown in SC, and less in ED.

As long as ED spends time over and over on a few points of dps here and there, and creates crew that have no escape pods they falter to create the foundation to progress to deeper game play.

SC appears to take an approach from the bottom up that is more involved that I wish ED would catch onto. For example, out of system travel is to be based on living-like types of worm holes that a pilot must navigate correctly to get to the correct location. For us in ED our jumping is a repetitive thing that becomes tiresome because it is exactly the same, always. There are many examples of such, as ships designed specifically for many different roles and have stations for different roles.

While ED has the upper hand in the flight sim and moon rover departments there appears to be no mechanics to base better game play upon it, and little progress over time.

So while one can look at SC as being released in 4 years, they can also look at ED as not having any tangible engaging play for just as long.

Gotta keep the cash rolling in to keep the game afloat. No doubt the delay to finishing Horizons is at least in part due to work on the PS4 port. I hope they make a mint off of it too, more people playing Elite can only be a good thing imo.

Don't be to hasty now. The many elements and mechanics that make up a game start off from a foundation/engine that supports them. If ED is really trying to be as broad in scope as SC to me it looks like SC is moving faster than ED. Who can say what stumbling blocks a huge game might run into along the way. We seem to see some happening with ED at the moment.

It looks like FD is possibly facing the difficulties of a game being designed as it is played at the same time. This may lead to more problems than initially intended. SC may not have these problems to such a degree with it's different design process.

If you have been paying attention you can see that SC, while not optimized, has a lot of the base structure already worked out. If compaired by base mechanics that are built SC is now not so far behind ED. The fewer than quarterly updates we have been seeing do not add so much content, as we quickly see they provide little depth to sustain game play.

Depth of game play is what keeps players interested. Small little things like voice acting and character
interaction go far. Many of these types of mechanics have already been shown in SC, and less in ED.

As long as ED spends time over and over on a few points of dps here and there, and creates crew that have no escape pods they falter to create the foundation to progress to deeper game play.

SC appears to take an approach from the bottom up that is more involved that I wish ED would catch onto. For example, out of system travel is to be based on living-like types of worm holes that a pilot must navigate correctly to get to the correct location. For us in ED our jumping is a repetitive thing that becomes tiresome because it is exactly the same, always. There are many examples of such, as ships designed specifically for many different roles and have stations for different roles.

While ED has the upper hand in the flight sim and moon rover departments there appears to be no mechanics to base better game play upon it, and little progress over time.

So while one can look at SC as being released in 4 years, they can also look at ED as not having any tangible engaging play for just as long.

This is the wrong thread for this - we try to keep the madness in here

This is the wrong thread for this - we try to keep the madness in here

Yes, the thread where we escape goat another game while ignoring the flaws in this one. Look at how horrible those people over there are! their game is behind schedule and they're suckered into paying for content before it's released and in-game things that have no use whatsoever! Their network code is buggy, the devs keep on saying it will be fixed Soon(tm) and they believe them, those fools!

Last edited:
Yes, the thread where we escape goat another game while ignoring the flaws in this one. Look at how horrible those people over there are! their game is behind schedule and they're suckered into paying for content before it's released and in-game things that have no use whatsoever! Their network code is buggy, the devs keep on saying it will be fixed Soon(tm) and they believe them, those fools!

science makes amazing new discovery: it's possible to criticise more than one thing at a time, and different things different amounts

i don't think anyone would claim elite's perfect, that's just a strawman. expecting it to be is just ridiculous too - but we can look at what we've gotten in comparison to other offerings to get a sense of scale and perspective. they're important

Last edited:
Gotta keep the cash rolling in to keep the game afloat. No doubt the delay to finishing Horizons is at least in part due to work on the PS4 port. I hope they make a mint off of it too, more people playing Elite can only be a good thing imo.

Not always as it will also bring more demand. Remember CQC that thing that no one asked for but was the bait for the xbox players. They wasted development time to do something to sell more and now is forgotten and didnt bring anything to the game.

Where did ALL the money from the xbox go? because it didnt go to Elite for sure. People said the income of money from the xbox was going to be good for the game but the game didn't become better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom