Ships Help me add one more item to my ship?

Take any ship and fly out of the bubble 100+ jumps and back again.

Then you will have a better appreciation for what features are important to you.

Also, take your ship to a planet within the bubble and land it 10-20 times. Fly around some crevices and stuff. Intentionally smack it around, learn what it can handle. Smash it up on purpose a few times so you know what it can handle and what to expect. It will take you a couple hours and lose some rebuy credits, who cares. Its worth it, and fun.

A few things I recommend on your loadout, more for an exploration build than anything else.

1: Lose the Reinforced Alloy hull, stick with the standard. There's an extra 3 ly jump range.
2: Get rid of the passenger cabin, replace with a 5A fuel scoop. Less time scooping.
3: Move the SRV bay to the 2 slot, it is wasted in a 4 slot. Also, make sure you install the SRV once you have installed the bay. It is not included as default.
4: Fit a 4A AMFU, they don't weigh anything. Disable it when not in use.
5: Fit a 16t cargo slot in the other slot 4. Handy if you do need to carry anything.
6: Shield is fine for basic protection.
7: You don't need a repair limpet controller. These are only used to repair other ships, not yours.
8: Remove the flight assist modules. you won't need them out in the black. Install a detailed surface scanner.
9: One mining laser, if you really want to keep one.
10: Lose everything from the utility mounts. None are any use to you out in the black.
11: 4D power plant. Light weight, plenty of power available. *
12: 5D thrusters. Light weight.

* Disable the AMFU and SRV bay. Only turn these on when needed. Saves a huge amount of power.

A great tip when fuel scooping, enable 'Orbit lines' from the right hand panel. When you scoop from a scoopable star, there is a line outside of it. Keep outside of this and you will not get too close.

The above will give you 31.5ly jump range, an extra 9 ly. This is plenty until you get into engineering. I remember my first trip out when getting around 27ly in a Asp Ex.

See you in the black!

A few things I recommend on your loadout, more for an exploration build than anything else.

1: Lose the Reinforced Alloy hull, stick with the standard. There's an extra 3 ly jump range.
2: Get rid of the passenger cabin, replace with a 5A fuel scoop. Less time scooping.
3: Move the SRV bay to the 2 slot, it is wasted in a 4 slot. Also, make sure you install the SRV once you have installed the bay. It is not included as default.
4: Fit a 4A AMFU, they don't weigh anything. Disable it when not in use.
5: Fit a 16t cargo slot in the other slot 4. Handy if you do need to carry anything.
6: Shield is fine for basic protection.
7: You don't need a repair limpet controller. These are only used to repair other ships, not yours.
8: Remove the flight assist modules. you won't need them out in the black. Install a detailed surface scanner.
9: One mining laser, if you really want to keep one.
10: Lose everything from the utility mounts. None are any use to you out in the black.
11: 4D power plant. Light weight, plenty of power available. *
12: 5D thrusters. Light weight.

* Disable the AMFU and SRV bay. Only turn these on when needed. Saves a huge amount of power.

A great tip when fuel scooping, enable 'Orbit lines' from the right hand panel. When you scoop from a scoopable star, there is a line outside of it. Keep outside of this and you will not get too close.

The above will give you 31.5ly jump range, an extra 9 ly. This is plenty until you get into engineering. I remember my first trip out when getting around 27ly in a Asp Ex.

See you in the black!
7 & 11 are wrong.

Repair limpets repair your own hull, debatable if you need them but many explorers fit them.
Never ever ever use a d rated powerplant. Siriusly, they are crap. Use an undersized a rated.

If you got an SRV what do you need mining lasers & 2E cargo rack for?
Unless you just like mining.

With reliable DSSA Fleet Carriers located around the galaxy repairing the hull is easy. And if you think you might want some optional often unused modules (mining equipment, various limpet controllers, fuel tanks, cargo racks, whatever) purchase them in the bubble, engineer them, and leave them in storage. No need to carry everything with you. You can later get stuff shipped to a FC of your choice. It costs a couple credits but who cares. If traveling to the other side of the galaxy you can proactively send modules to an intermediate FC, so you don't have to wait 3 days for them to show up.*

*Clarification:
While traveling to the far side of the galaxy you arrive at a FC at a half-way point. Sell your cartographic data and have modules you think you might like sent to that FC. Then as you continue on the journey your extra modules arrive at your half-way point.

Last edited:
You really don't need the docking computer on a ship that will be on exploration voyages, as you won't be docking regularly. I use it on large ships, trade ships, and as a 'take over' while docking / multitasking on the Galaxy map, menu, ect. Out in the void it's a unused slot.
I personally don't see the need for the repair limpets and by default the cargo rack, just take care when flying. I've done the Sol to Colonia run in my DBX multiple times and have never once needed field repair or hull repair.
Good luck.
o7

Top Bottom