Ships Mamba Help me build a combat ship

After you helped me building a nice multi purpose ship (thanks a lot!) I am currently looking at a (semi) dedicated combat ship. First, I am not looking for the META, I always try to bring some RP into my game and that often involves personal preferences rather than 'the best'. The goal would be to build a ship that handles nicely in PvE without being completely useless at PvP (it needs to compensate the useless pilot!). I want to use it for fighting in CZs and defend myself against player attacks, and if I am drunk enough I might attack other players as well, so a FSD Interdictor among other stuff is probably needed.
Currently I am looking at a Mamba simply because I like how it looks. I don't like the Chieftain and FDS variants and I don't like the FDL cockpit either. I also don't like the large ships.
Weapons wise I usually have the most fun using MCs and I always wanted to use seeker missiles (probably not suited for long CZ combat but I don't care). I have no interest in stopping my opponent from escaping (first because nobody is going to want to escape from me, second because I couldn't care less if they do).
Any suggestions for modules and engineering?

I currently just have 150 million but getting more shouldn't be a problem...

PS
Oh, and I don't have access to any of the PP stuff and I don't want to get into it either.

Currently thinking about:

Core:
Military Grade Composite: Lightweight, Deep Plating
Powerplant: Armoured, Thermal Spread
Thrusters: Dirty, Drag Drives
FSD: Increased Range, Mass Manger (I like to be mobile)
Distributor: Charge Enhanced, Super Conduits

Optional:
No idea, probably normal shields rather than bi-weave?
4A SCB?

Weapons:
4A Gimballed MC: Overcharged, Incendiary Rounds
3B Missile Rack: No idea
3B Missile Rack: No idea
1G Gimballed MC: Overcharged, Incendiary Rounds
1G Gimballed MC: Overcharged, Incendiary Rounds

Is heat going to be a problem?

Utility:
FSD Wake Scanner, KWS, 2x SBs, Point defense, 2x Chaff? Any useful mods?

For a combat ship the regular shields are OK, I use the bi-weave in my armed trader (for when I duel 4 or more Anaconda one after the other).
If you have access the Guardian Shield Reinforcement.
Other reinforcements
FSD Interdictor if you want to hunt them.

My combat ship also has "travel components" that I use for long travels, I exchange these modules at the nearest station:
Fuel Scoop, Guardian FSD Booster, A class (strong) FSD for travel while I use a D class (light) FSD for combat.​

P.S. for the MC you might want to use several different effects like corrosive.

Last edited:
For a combat ship the regular shields are OK, I use the bi-weave in my armed trader (for when I duel 4 or more Anaconda one after the other).
If you have access the Guardian Shield Reinforcement.
Other reinforcements
FSD Interdictor if you want to hunt them.

My combat ship also has "travel components" that I use for long travels, I exchange these modules at the nearest station:
Fuel Scoop, Guardian FSD Booster, A class (strong) FSD for travel while I use a D class (light) FSD for combat.​

P.S. for the MC you might want to use different effects like corrosive.
I am not sure yet on the MCs, maybe the small MCs with incendiary against shields and the huge one with corrosive?

I am not sure yet on the MCs, maybe the small MCs with incendiary against shields and the huge one with corrosive?

No, you only need one MC with the corrosive to get the effect, so you might as well take the downside (reduced ammo) on one of your small ones.

Suggested Mamba, after adding some engineering and changing things a bit to stay under the power budget (D-rated scanners with Long Range grade 3, longer range than A-rated scanners for much less power requirement):

Last edited:
Suggested Mamba, after adding some engineering and changing things a bit to stay under the power budget (D-rated scanners with Long Range grade 3, longer range than A-rated sensors for much less power requirement):

Thanks! I don't need the Fuel Scoop, should I put another MRP or HRP in that slot?

You should always use bi-weaves in combat ships, the small reduction is veryvery worth it. Everything else looks pretty good though.

Emissive is always a nice option on a small multicannon, just in case you run into a stealth DBS/X :)

The c3 slots are nice for gimballed frags, the c1 and c4 have a good convergence for fixed weapons (beams/pulses?)

I'd always go for bi-weaves in a PvE build, especially a shield tank like the Mamba. Single chaff is enough imho, apply ammo capacity.
Point defense is useless, better fit another Booster. I'd go with two HD, one thermal res and one res aug, and use a reinforced fast charge bi-weave.
With KWS and chaff that's your 6 utilities.

I'd go for something like this

I had a PvP Mamba in Beta that people kept mistaking for a PvE Mamba. If you're interested I can probably dig up a Coriolis link.

Edit: Here are two options, first is a slightly modification of what I use, second has more missiles and more PvE oriented shielding.

Last edited:
My current mamba:
Core:
Low emission G1 PP with thermal spread.
DD G5 drag drives engines
Long range G5 FSD with mass manager
D class G1 light weight life support
G5 charge enhanced distributor with flow control
G1 light weight sensors A class (because I RP)

Optional:
Class 5 Bi-waves Thermal G5 with multiwave
FSD booster class 4
Class 3 Fuel scoop
vehicle hangar
class 2 cargo hold
class 1 limpet controller

Utility:
1 Shield boosters with G5 thermal resistance and flow control
1 shield booster with G5 kinetic resistance and flow control
2 shield booster with G5 Heavy duty and flow control
1 shield booster with G5 resistance enhanced and flow control
1 Point defense

hardpoints:
Class 4 fixed G5 efficient beam with thermal vent
2 Class 1 gimballed G5 efficient pulses with scramble
2 Class 3 gimballed shock cannons

24.44 MW power plant with 0.27 heat efficiency. I can scoop all day long at less than 60% heat. 28 MW all modules on, but in combat you shut down the FDS the FSD booster, fuel scoop and vehicle hangar and no problem. You can fire that beam all day, melt small ships and medium ships with, against larger ships your ship freezes and I am not sure if your enemies lose the lock since you have no heat signature.

Jumps 29 light years, it scoops a little slow, since its a class 3 only, but I am in no rush. If you swap the scoop for a class 4 and a FSD booster class 3 you go down to 27 light years jumps. Up to you.

The shields are only 995 MJ but with 61.5% thermal resistance, 55% explosive and 52% kinetic. I can tank medium ships with 4 pips while I blast the third one, don't tank large ships. I don't use armor because the weight increment, but I had no issues in HAZ areas, combat zones, you have to be more aware but is no problem.

This brute of a ship boost at 610m/s so, things go wrong just run and wait for a bit. I dislike shield cell banks, so don't ask.

the only big issue is that the shock cannons go empty rather fast, even when being sparse in their use. Combat zones can be an issue since enemy ships are hard to crack. Better take some normal long range cannons with high yield and snipe modules, or replace with pulses or bursts. Dunno. The shock reload is really expensive material wise, up to the pilot.

And that's it. I role play a little, so this ship reflects that a little bit. I can even explore in this thing fully loaded cause why not.
(just switch the limpets controller for a surface scanner =p)

@Ddraig I'm sick of SCB as well. They take up critical slots and cause heat damage if I don't use more slots for heat sinks. After all of that, the really good gankers will just cancel them anyway. Bah. I switched those slots to guardian SRP and more shield boosters; or HRP/MRP depending on what the ship needs most. Cancel that gankers :D

@Ddraig I'm sick of SCB as well. They take up critical slots and cause heat damage if I don't use more slots for heat sinks. After all of that, the really good gankers will just cancel them anyway. Bah. I switched those slots to guardian SRP and more shield boosters; or HRP/MRP depending on what the ship needs most. Cancel that gankers :D

The mamba does not have many internals, and the build I did is very multipurpose minus trading and strictly PVE. If you could post your build, it would be awesome.

For the Mamba I run a class 4 cannon (for module sniping) and the rest as frag cannons with incindery, corrosive, and target disruptive effects, i then engineered the thing to boos as fast as possible (700 m/s) and used it as a jousting ship

Top Bottom