Help mining Gold and Painite

Hi all,

Having spent most of my ED time exploring and fighting, I decided to have a good crack at mining and using the Gold and Painite Trophies as something to aim for. Problem is, I'm having a torrid time finding the damn things.

I read that Delkar 7's inner ring is a great location for Gold and a bit of Painite, but my prospecting limpets find gold on asteroids probably 1/15 times, and Painite maybe 1/20; and even then, the amount of each metal is very small that it probably takes about three asteroids to refine a ton, so I'm looking at 30 asteroids for every ton of gold.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a better Prospect Limpet controller (i.e. would it help to be able to fire two or three at a time)?, am I mining in the wrong location...or is that success rate simply normal?

Thanks,
John

PS: I should add that I'm using a Type-7 but wondering whether using my Python might be better and quicker

Last edited:
You're in the right place, but you should definitely get more out of each asteroid - what kind of Prospect Limpet controller are you using? You want an "A" to get the most fragments out of each asteroid. Personally, I only mine asteroids with roughly 30% of the metal/mineral I'm looking for.

I've been mining in Algol to great effect, but you might have to go through a dozen prospector limpets to find one rock with painite. I just use a size 1 prospector controller, tag a rock, see what it has, then either mine it or move on. Once you get a rhythm, you can do this pretty quickly.

DX3wSgJX0AAuNFE.jpg:large

Last edited:
Do I need a better Prospect Limpet controller (i.e. would it help to be able to fire two or three at a time)?, am I mining in the wrong location...or is that success rate simply normal?

Yes, firing more active prospectors greatly speeds up your prospecting rate. Higher grade also coaxes out more fragments per asteroid.

The success rate is normal, however a ton per asteroid is not a success. Ignore those. Aim for 20% or higher (~10 tons per asteroid).

The location is alright. If you are dropping somewhere random, extraction sites have better yields and make it easy to revisit asteroids as well.

PS: I should add that I'm using a Type-7 but wondering whether using my Python might be better and quicker

The Python is a lot better and quicker.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like refitting my Python is the way to go.

I'm sure I have a grade A Prospect Limpet controller, but I'm only using one (with two collector controllers modules) - should I add another Prospect module or is one sufficient?

Here is my build

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like refitting my Python is the way to go.

I'm sure I have a grade A Prospect Limpet controller, but I'm only using one (with two collector controllers modules) - should I add another Prospect module or is one sufficient?

Here is my build

One prospector is fine IMHO.

Swap all your core modules out for D rated though other than your FSD. You'll get a much better jump range. Also you can easily get away with a 6D powerplant (or even a 5D depending if you tweak your build to add anything more).

https://eddp.co/u/zpN5WXaH

This site is useful for finding pristine metallics too.

http://edtools.ddns.net/

Last edited:
The above links from labrunning are very useful. Particularly for finding a pristine ring near your home. The spawns are random but if you look hard enough you'll find the rocks.

Looking at your build, you should d rate as suggested. Also I'd probably move your prospector to the 3rd slot and have another cargo rack in the other space.

I've got a corvette lying around that I might outfit for mining tonight. This has put me in the mood for it.

Don't D rate everything. The distributor in particular is important to support the lasers. One medium requires 3 MW power. The 7E only provides 4.1 MW.

You'll also do better using a small A grade power plant, an E grade will have the lasers cooking your ship.

The spawns are random but if you look hard enough you'll find the rocks.

They are not random. They are procedural.

Don't D rate everything. The distributor in particular is important to support the lasers. One medium requires 3 MW power. The 7E only provides 4.1 MW.

Ah, my bad, you're right of course. Thanks for that, I learned something new about Coriolis today. I notice it's not been updated with the Chieftain yet. Hope the guy who maintains it is ok, it's a great service.

Also I'd probably move your prospector to the 3rd slot and have another cargo rack in the other space.
Good idea; really don't need 6 collector limpets flying around, 5 is enough, so I've put a 6E cargo rack in that third slot and a 3A collector in the slot where my small cargo rack was. Gives me 192t or cargo space with 5 collector limpets flying around.

Hi all,

Having spent most of my ED time exploring and fighting, I decided to have a good crack at mining and using the Gold and Painite Trophies as something to aim for. Problem is, I'm having a torrid time finding the damn things.

I read that Delkar 7's inner ring is a great location for Gold and a bit of Painite, but my prospecting limpets find gold on asteroids probably 1/15 times, and Painite maybe 1/20; and even then, the amount of each metal is very small that it probably takes about three asteroids to refine a ton, so I'm looking at 30 asteroids for every ton of gold.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a better Prospect Limpet controller (i.e. would it help to be able to fire two or three at a time)?, am I mining in the wrong location...or is that success rate simply normal?

Thanks,
John

You want a Pristine Metallic ring.
A-grade prospector limpet controller. (Class 1 is sufficient for me. YMMV)
No matter what you're doing, a T7 is probably the WORST ship to do it in.
I can't back this up, but it seems to me that there are more high-value 'roids at the inner part of the ring, closes to the planet (but still in the right ring, obvs)

You'll also do better using a small A grade power plant, an E grade will have the lasers cooking your ship.

They are not random. They are procedural.

Yes right on the D rate thing. Doesn't suit everything. My apologies.

You'll have to explain the procedural part to me though!

Yes right on the D rate thing. Doesn't suit everything. My apologies.

Also use Guardian Hybrid Power Plants when possible since they actually save A LOT of weight since a Guardian PP a size below a D-rated weighs much less (so a 2A GHPP opposed to a 3D PP) and provides a lot more power.

Also use Guardian Hybrid Power Plants when possible since they actually save A LOT of weight since a Guardian PP a size below a D-rated weighs much less (so a 2A GHPP opposed to a 3D PP) and provides a lot more power.

Are these available at the local Buy More yet, or does obtaining this PP still require significant time at distant ruins solving puzzles?

Are these available at the local Buy More yet, or does obtaining this PP still require significant time at distant ruins solving puzzles?

Go out and farm your butt off. It didn't take me too long to get all of the required items. You just need to look up the proper site that has module segment and do it 4 times. Then park near an obelisk and scan relog until you have the 42 epsilon data.

Go out and farm your butt off. It didn't take me too long to get all of the required items. You just need to look up the proper site that has module segment and do it 4 times. Then park near an obelisk and scan relog until you have the 42 epsilon data.

But didn’t it change with 3.02 that actually lengthened the farming? Like scanning a beacon use to be done over and over, now as I understand you have to reset the instance or something? I’m not at all familiar with the guardian tech and what it takes, just remember reading in one of the patch notes that basically said the process was corrected and it got longer.

But didn’t it change with 3.02 that actually lengthened the farming? Like scanning a beacon use to be done over and over, now as I understand you have to reset the instance or something? I’m not at all familiar with the guardian tech and what it takes, just remember reading in one of the patch notes that basically said the process was corrected and it got longer.

Yeah, you'll just have to power the pylons, scan the No Man Sky looking orb thingy and relog. Also bring like 2 SRV's just in case. It's really not hard at all just repetitive.

LOL, I think I'll pass for now. Nothing I'm currently doing needs an alien power plant in order to do it better, and what you describe sounds like something I would have zero fun doing.

LOL, I think I'll pass for now. Nothing I'm currently doing needs an alien power plant in order to do it better, and what you describe sounds like something I would have zero fun doing.

I got my Conda up over 67ly jump range because of the Guardian HPP. I haven't regret the time spent getting it cause it made my trip to Colonia then to Center then home only take 3 days of leisurely playing.

Top Bottom