Help with Challenge mode

• Thread starter Deleted member 198721
  • Start date
I've recently completed all non-DLC maps in Jurassic difficulty.

My strategy is this one:

Of course, first thing is to build a Small power station with a Substation, an Expedition center and a Fossil center (except on Isla Sorna, I'll talk about it later).
Then I send expeditions to the Morrison formation until it's depleted or I get a 100% Ceratosaurus genome (whatever happens first, if first depleted a single expedition to the Laurinha formation should complete the genome) since it's the starting dinosaur with the best base rating. After hatching the first Cerato, send expeditions to the Lance formation until depleted (if you want, hatch 2 more Ceratos along the way), then Hell Creek until you get the complete Triceratops genome, then you start working in your second enclosure (herbivores)...as you see, I go from higher to lower rating, except for Huayangosaurus. Those Lance formation depletion gives you a good start for Edmontosaurus and Struthiomimus...so in order to not waste it, Huayangosaurus fossil search starts after Struthiomimus's 100% genome.

RESEARCH
Usually don't built a research center until I get the first star...until then there's only 1 disease available (common cold) which is already researched (BTW, you can bet dinosaurs will get sick in the early game, make sure to build a ranger station after the first or second Cerato), and available worthy buildings (restaurant and clothes shop) can be replaced in the early game with already available fast-food and gift shop. Once you get it, research priority is this one:
  1. DIG YIELD From now on, is a game changer and will be your main income source for a while
  2. DIG TEAM BRAVO You may wanna exploit Dig yield as much as you can
  3. RESEARCH TEAM BRAVO Not a priority if I think about it, but it makes next investigations faster so...you decide
  4. DISEASES The order doesn't matter. I used to think new diseases outbreaks wouldn't happen until after you released a newly unlocked dinosaurs...but I was proven wrong, so it's now a priority.
  5. AGGRESSIVE INSTINCTS 1.0 it's the only genetic modification that gives more rating than what it costs
  6. COSMETIC GENES It's a +25% rating, so you may want to have every dinosaur with one of this (I always end up researching all of them, but you probably could save some money looking at the list of species in every skin...but I'm myself too lazy)
  7. SUCCESS RATE You want to apply those researched genes, but failed incubations is something you can't or at least don't want to afford
After that, Restaurant and Clothes shop (replace Fast-foods and Gift shops) and herbivores Fossil Access (extra fossils and dig sites means extra oportunities to exploit Dig yield, and if you're trying to beat par time or your own record it will help to overcome the variety penalty ASAP).
2 STARS RESEARCH PRIORITIES
  1. RESEARCH COST At first, research and apply this one, even if you have Research team Bravo available. Wait, and continue researchs after applying it...the reason should be obvious.
  2. DIG TEAM CHARLIE (Same reason for Dig team Bravo)
  3. RESEARCH TEAM CHARLIE (Same reson for Research team Bravo)
  4. DISEASES (Same reason...you get the point)
OTHER RESEARCH
  • As you get multiple dig teams, you'll find expeditions unable to finish due to lack of space in the fossil center...when this starts to happen, research and apply EXTRACTION SPEED to Fossil center.
  • Electrified fences are stronger than their regular counterparts, but not twice as strong. Double fencing is more effective and doesn't consume electricity, so don't even bother about them. In fact...during storms the only dinosaur I use that goes below its comfort threshold is Dilophosaurus, so it is possible to not research any fence at all if you choose the right species!
  • Restaurant-Clothes shop-Arcade is the one combination that makes it easily to 5-Stars facility rating, so research those.
  • The MONORRAIL becomes a must when your park expands, so make sure to leave some space near the entrance for the first station. Its price, however, kinda makes you wait until after the RESEARCH COST upgrade

With newly unlocked dinosaurs, I prioritize armored herbivores so I can apply the AGGRESSIVE INSTINCTS 1.0 mentioned earlier until sauropods are unlocked. Those highly rated giants become then first priority (since they don't have Attack and Defense slots I research HYPEREFFICIENT BLOOD, but it's as good for rating as bad for viabilty), armored herbivores second, medium herbivores third and small herbivores last. Don't even bother with carnivores, you'll get those genomes as a side effect since you won't be able to sale the fossils at some point.

You'll find the game is about mantaining facility rating as you build dinosaur rating.

FACILITY RATING
Security will go down during storms, so don't worry about that. It affects only if a dinosaur escapes and generates injured guest lawsuits.
Capacity is fixed with hotels, so built one when it's no longer "Excelent".
Satisfaction:
  • Dinosaur visibility is a big part of it, so keep it as high as possible: build enclosures shaped like the viewing areas of galleries and hotels next to enclosures...once made a Dilos enclosure around an hotel, but ended up replacing the carnivores with stegosaurians after 2 tornado induced breakouts.
  • My personal trick: Every guest store has 3 options of products. What I do is at first keep the default, cheaper one, raising the price to get as much profit as possible. When aprox. half of them are at maximum capacity, upgrade to the second option and repeat. Don't touch the prices then, just adjust the capacities as needed. After you finally get that sweet 5 stars dinosaur rating, upgrade to the third product option without modyfing the prices. That will skyrocket satisfaction and your overall Island rating to 5 stars

ISLA SORNA
I did the maps in the order I supposed would be from harder to easier, based on the "building area" indication, from small (Pena) to large (Nublar)...and found Nublar harder after the fish-out-of-the-water Sorna experience.

I supposed I'd only have the map shape, but no: there's also the loose Spinosaurus and Stegosauruses. So, among the starting buildings, include an ACU center. After enclosing the "rescued" dinosaurs in 3 different exhibits I achieved 1 star before even building a Hammond creation lab. I got then "analysis paralysis" since I didn't know what to do...which ended up being something good: somehow made so much money that at one point I could afford the DiloDisaster instead of reloading from last save, ended up researching almost every genetic modification to maximize rating...it was really the "spared no expense" miracle.

Of course, first thing is to build a Small power station with a Substation, an Expedition center and a Fossil center (except on Isla Sorna, I'll talk about it later).
Then I send expeditions to the Morrison formation until it's depleted or I get a 100% Ceratosaurus genome (whatever happens first, if first depleted a single expedition to the Laurinha formation should complete the genome) since it's the starting dinosaur with the best base rating. After hatching the first Cerato, send expeditions to the Lance formation until depleted (if you want, hatch 2 more Ceratos along the way), then Hell Creek until you get the complete Triceratops genome, then you start working in your second enclosure (herbivores)...as you see, I go from higher to lower rating, except for Huayangosaurus. Those Lance formation depletion gives you a good start for Edmontosaurus and Struthiomimus...so in order to not waste it, Huayangosaurus fossil search starts after Struthiomimus's 100% genome.

I realized that your first dinosaur that you incubate will never fail. I have never had my first dinosaur fail it's incubation. The majority of the time it is at 50% anyways. if you are impatient go to 50% but if you want the best rating go for 90% to 100%

Deleted member 198721

D
Okay finally I completed it this morning. After 20 hours of playing I finally got it. A few things I would warn everyone trying to Jurassic Difficulty that island is make sure to have the most expensive and large set roads for guests to boost your numbers, if a storm warning hits make sure to save before the thing hits and make sure your weather protection is turned on. If your fences get hit at all reload the challenge as the spiral appears randomly and you can get it to hopefully miss your enclosures. Also don't even try to do this until after you have completed the Dr. Wu campaign as you will need the survival boost and cross species augmentations. So thank you so much for all the help and encouragement from this forum.

I realized that your first dinosaur that you incubate will never fail. I have never had my first dinosaur fail it's incubation. The majority of the time it is at 50% anyways. if you are impatient go to 50% but if you want the best rating go for 90% to 100%

Yeah, but I still wait to 100% for the extra rating.

Also don't even try to do this until after you have completed the Dr. Wu campaign as you will need the survival boost and cross species augmentations.

Really? I've completed Jurassic difficulty without even owning the DLC

Although I see this was already completed.... there is actually a very easy pattern that will work for each island:

Dino order - Struthi, Huayango, Dracorex & Triceratops and Crichton will easily get enough for 1 stars. Reason being = They have the highest value per rating. Best cost for the rating they bring
Edmonton is easily one of the worst valued dinos in the game... it costs WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much dollar to rating to use them other than for variety. Avoid them, they're not worth the money.

You want 100% genome on Jurassic difficulty, because you will need the points for 1 star dinos. Huayango & Crichton are the easiest to get to 100% because their fossils are in 1 dig site only.

Carnivores can be added just before getting 2 stars, because you will find a number of decently rated herbivores before needing the big points. Carnivores = more maintenance, more space, more money to keep happy & guests safe. You can fill up 3 herbivore pens from 1 hammond center easily with low level dinos that can get you almost to 2 stars. Some common pens are (4 Ankys + 4 Critchons), (8 Dracorex, 2 Trikes, 2 Sinos), (4-6 Struthis, 4-6 Huayango and any leftover dinos for variety)

Troodon is the best spammable dino in the game, and will become your easiest source of dino points until the 3.5-4 star rating.

For facilities = Small Power plant, Expedition & Fossil centers. When the park opens, you'll NEED a ranger station because the Struthis get sick every 20 minutes. Eventually when money is available, Research center.
Research only what you need. There is no reason to unlock a Styraco who has a horrible point value for a herbivore. Same for Suchomimus as a carnivore. You won't need science centers or gyrospheres.... all wastes of money.

Get your hotels as close to the pens as possible (for visibility). Put food & water at front of the pens so the hotels can get a visibility boost. Then anywhere you have a hotel, have the holy trinity of restaurant, clothes shop & arcade next to it.

Deleted member 198721

D
I was just going to call it quits after getting the Tyrannosaurus Rex skin, but as JLoco11 gave this guide I'm going to try and beat an island a week and have started with Isla Nublar as my second island.

I was just going to call it quits after getting the Tyrannosaurus Rex skin, but as JLoco11 gave this guide I'm going to try and beat an island a week and have started with Isla Nublar as my second island.

Once you get the hang of the islands, they are REALLY easy to beat on Jurassic. I would have recommended to save Nublar & Sorna until last because they have the highest dino requirements.

Matanceros is the easiest, followed by Tacano and Research Muerta
Pena, Muerta regular and Tacano research are the next difficult. Pena is small, Muerta has terrain constraints that cost a LOT of money. Tacano research has a very high dino point requirement in a small space. And tornados NEVER miss

Sorna has the loose dinos from the campaign. What's funny is that you will hit 1 star almost immediately and then be totally unprepared for the hell that happens afterwards with Spino's & Stegos nonstop issues. I recommend getting to 1 star and just selling them off to start fresh.

Nublar still has campaign requirements, and you need like 6 hotels for facilities ratings. It's costly, but obviously the biggest island to utilize space.

Deleted member 198721

D
Thanks for the tips everyone, but challenge mode it seems is not for me. I do not find fun in games where chance plays more part than skill and hard work and prep can be instantly undone though no fault of your own. I doubled the fences, had two ranger centers, covered the whole are in storm protection, and one cyclone hits right along my fence which caused my dinosaurs to break loose and my rangers wouldn't fix the fences fast enough leading to me loosing because of that three minute rule. I know some people enjoy this kind of game but I find it to be a massive grind and got what I really wanted already. Life has enough problems with things not being fair that I don't need it in a game meant to be a fun escape from reality. I hope that others who do enjoy this kind of game have been helped complete it through tips on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should go to build fences whenever u see a tornado about to cross over one of your fences. After it breaks the fences quickly create a quick half loop patch to the fence. Then your dinos dont escape. Then once the tornado is away from your fences send your ranger teams to fix the original fence. Then you can delete your patch if you want.

Deleted member 198721

D
Thanks for your suggestion, but no this time I have had enough. Twice I have had tornadoes follow the exact path of my fences while dilophosaurs and troodon break their fences (double layered I add) resulting in fights between raptors, dilophosaurs, troodon, ceratosaurs, and even my Rex so some got poisoned (should actually be envenomated as it is from a bite not from skin contact or inhalation), some got killed while waiting for the pick-up chopper while they were tranquilized, and then others broke the fence I just repaired because the other dinosaurs hadn't been dropped of yet so they were lonely. I repeat I appreciate the help I have gotten, but trying to enjoy this type of game is impossible for me and I am tired of spending tens of hours just for a few bits of code that change the dinosaur's skin. I enjoyed the campaign mode, but challenge mode is not for me.

Thanks for your suggestion, but no this time I have had enough. Twice I have had tornadoes follow the exact path of my fences while dilophosaurs and troodon break their fences (double layered I add) resulting in fights between raptors, dilophosaurs, troodon, ceratosaurs, and even my Rex so some got poisoned (should actually be envenomated as it is from a bite not from skin contact or inhalation), some got killed while waiting for the pick-up chopper while they were tranquilized, and then others broke the fence I just repaired because the other dinosaurs hadn't been dropped of yet so they were lonely. I repeat I appreciate the help I have gotten, but trying to enjoy this type of game is impossible for me and I am tired of spending tens of hours just for a few bits of code that change the dinosaur's skin. I enjoyed the campaign mode, but challenge mode is not for me.

Maybe try not having carnivores so close to each other.

Thanks for the tips everyone, but challenge mode it seems is not for me. I do not find fun in games where chance plays more part than skill and hard work and prep can be instantly undone though no fault of your own. I doubled the fences, had two ranger centers, covered the whole are in storm protection, and one cyclone hits right along my fence which caused my dinosaurs to break loose and my rangers wouldn't fix the fences fast enough leading to me loosing because of that three minute rule. I know some people enjoy this kind of game but I find it to be a massive grind and got what I really wanted already. Life has enough problems with things not being fair that I don't need it in a game meant to be a fun escape from reality. I hope that others who do enjoy this kind of game have been helped complete it through tips on here.

Save when a storm warning pops up and keep loading that file if something goes really bad. Also if you reload the storm usually spawns somewhere different. One last thing, dete the broken fence yourself and put it back. If there is a dinosaur in the area then build the fence out a bit if you can. When the alert comes then start sedating carnivores.

Deleted member 198721

D
Look I am very appreciative of the help, but honestly this mode is just not fun. From the Hammond foundation taking so much from my profit which causes me to have to wait to have funds to clone dinosaurs to make up for the ones that die along with the storms and having to start from scratch again and again is a tedious stress-inducing bother that is more annoying that a root-canal. I do appreciate the suggestions but a game that feels like an additional job just to say I have climbed yet another mountain where I feel I am throwing away my time for an achievement skin after already going through the grind of campaign mode is not for me. I don't see it as a good use of my time and resources and I deeply thank you for all the tips that got me the alt-skin I wanted, but a game should not feel like a chore to complete.

I understand Agent_Reptile. I dont overly enjoy the challenge mode myself especially if I fail. I ended up restarting Sorna completely. I couldn't get a high enough dinosaur rating. I was a few thousand points away but I didn't have enough money to make the extra dinosaurs I needed. At the same time my other dinosaurs started dying of old age.... In the end it just wasnt sustainable. So I just restarted it. I feel like im going to end up in the same predicament though.

I understand Agent_Reptile. I dont overly enjoy the challenge mode myself especially if I fail. I ended up restarting Sorna completely. I couldn't get a high enough dinosaur rating. I was a few thousand points away but I didn't have enough money to make the extra dinosaurs I needed. At the same time my other dinosaurs started dying of old age.... In the end it just wasnt sustainable. So I just restarted it. I feel like im going to end up in the same predicament though.

Sorna challenge is the trickiest because the start of the game has the dinos running free... but there is a pattern for every Jurassic challenge island on what dinos to release in what order, and what buildings to setup. You can do the exact same steps on all the jurassic island challenges and get the same exact results.... 5 stars in about 4-6 hours.

They key is to knowing what NOT to use for challenge. Knowing what not to research (gyrosphere, skins, Styracosaurus, Fossil center), knowing what dinos are not worth adding (T-Rex, Indominus, Raptors, Edmontosaurus, Sauropelta). Then spamming the dinos that give you the highest ratings for the lowest money like Troodon, Dilophos and Diplodocus.

The earliest dinos are the lowest rated dinos in the game. If they die, you can offset that with the highest rated dinos in the game that release a bit later. The best tip for Sorna is not to race to 1 star. The Stegos and Spino will rush you to a 1 star before you're ready for the storms and disease that will plague the park, so keeping the park under 1 star is the key to setting up the park for the future.

Thanks for the tips. If i fail again ill have to stay under 1 star like u said and stockpile money. Im just about to crack 4 stars right now. Money is low. But i figured out a way to start earning money a little faster. I never did this before because it's so expensive but i started researching reduced feeder cost and marketing. The reduced feeders really helps. The sauropods eat so much that your constantly spending 150,000 on each feeder. At 2.0 what was 150 is like 80 now.

Last time i was feeding my indominus carnos and diplods but his life span was so low he died before he could help me get to 5 stars. Gonna give my carns big life spans this time.

Deleted member 198721

D
4-6 Hours? I find that exceedingly hard to believe with all the setbacks and loss I have encountered in this mode.

4-6 Hours? I find that exceedingly hard to believe with all the setbacks and loss I have encountered in this mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pan8KjBZaho

Here is a quick youtube search of someone who posted their time on Nublar at 4:47. It's even easier than when he posted this due to Troodon's, Iguanodon & Olorotitans being added to the game. All 3 of them make the 1-3 star range go much quicker.

I did all 8 islands in around 5 hours as well..... 4:08 was the fastest on Matanceros and 5:30 was the longest on Sorna. Once you get the pattern down of which dinos to release, avoid........ what to research and what not to research...... the order of the buildings you need, each island will roughly play the same.

Only difference is each island has different dino & hotel requirements. Nublar & Sorna have bigger requirements for both, while Matanceros only needs 1 hotel for a 5 star rating. Pena only needs 16 dinos since it's small.

On every single island, I got 5 stars without an Indominus, T-rex, raptors, Deinonychus, Allosaurus & Mamenchi because you can get higher points spamming little dinos like Troodon, Dilophos & the key dino Diplodocus.

Top Bottom