Newcomer / Intro Help with key bindings

I haven't played for about a year. I thought I'd try the new scanners and things. I've bound switches to change cockpit modes and the mode next to it whatever that does, and when I pressed the buttons in SC I could toggle those modes on and off. I then went to zero throttle to try the discovery scanner and managed to switch it on, but now I have a blue radar type screen, which I can't get out of. No keys or joystick controls do anything. I can't toggle back to where I was.

Can somebody please explain in simple terms what bindings I need to make to operate these new things and how I can switch this scanner off. I guess that I also need some joystick controls to point the scanner, but I can't find anything in the bindings options. I'm running out of fuel, I guess, but I can't see because I'm locked on this scanner and have been for some time.

Is there any sort of definitive guide to how to operate these scanners? I've spent ages looking, but nothing but blind alleys.

Is there any sort of definitive guide to how to operate these scanners? I've spent ages looking, but nothing but blind alleys.
I'm sure there is a "how to" in the ever-updated exploration guide.
But in short:
1) honk the discovery scanner
2) Enter the FSS
3) find the ecliptic and move left or right around it and look for blue pulsing blobs of light.
4) once you've found one, use the tuning left and right and find the frequency the blob responds to. Once you see a white circle in the blob, zoom in.
5) zoom out and repeat for the next blob.

Alternatively, you can tune into a specific frequency (every one corresponds to a certain type of planet (or other signal - the description is right next to the frequency bar), so if you see there's a for example a ELW present in the system, tune into its frequency and then circle around the ecliptic until you've found the right blob.

Edit: Ninja'd again.
Seems like Yaffle doesn't have much work, lately. :LOL:

I'm sure there is a "how to" in the ever-updated exploration guide.
But in short:
1) honk the discovery scanner
2) Enter the FSS
3) find the ecliptic and move left or right around it and look for blue pulsing blobs of light.
4) once you've found one, use the tuning left and right and find the frequency the blob responds to. Once you see a white circle in the blob, zoom in.
5) zoom out and repeat for the next blob.

Alternatively, you can tune into a specific frequency (every one corresponds to a certain type of planet (or other signal - the description is right next to the frequency bar), so if you see there's a for example a ELW present in the system, tune into its frequency and then circle around the ecliptic until you've found the right blob.

Edit: Ninja'd again.
Seems like Yaffle doesn't have much work, lately. :LOL:
Thanks, but it doesn't help. I know what to do, but I don't know how. What i need to know is what controls I need to assign to make the damn things work!

In Controls: Full Spectrum System Scanner.
There you need to bind:
  • Camera Pitch
  • Camera Yaw
  • Zoom In To Target
  • Zoom Out
  • Tuning or Absolute Tuning
  • Leave FSS
  • optionally also Discovery Scan

Thanks, but it doesn't help. I know what to do, but I don't know how. What i need to know is what controls I need to assign to make the damn things work!

I did a guide - it is in the guides sub forum of this forum, it might help:

Last edited:
OK, thanks guys, I got it goingmainly using DTEA's video guide. I don’t know how beginners are going to get all this.

Top Bottom