Elite / Frontier Hex editing ffe

Hey folks, new user here. Got a question.

Just rediscovered elite and its sequels, I spent countless hours as a kid and got back to them after I found an amiga emulator and wanted to play some of my old favorites.

Question is,
Does anyone have a comprehensive table or documentation of hex values for the ffe game? Not the addresses, as those are version specific (I'm using jjffe). Instead I am looking for the actual strings of values, as I want to edit things other than ship characteristics, e.g. promotions, number of kills, etc...

I have found George Hooper's stuff and another guy with a guide to hex editing on geocities (just learned to do this and hacked my startup ship, pretty proud of myself at the moment). But these do not show how to hex edit the things I was wanting to do.

Additionally, my hardware (Intel 845G chipset) doesn't support opengl 2.0. Is there a software workaround that anyone knows of? alt.fan.elite has a guy working on a 1.2 version, but it appears not to work at the moment, at least on my pc.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

kestrel pilot said:
Hey folks, new user here. Got a question.

Does anyone have a comprehensive table or documentation of hex values for the ffe game? Not the addresses, as those are version specific (I'm using jjffe). Instead I am looking for the actual strings of values, as I want to edit things other than ship characteristics, e.g. promotions, number of kills, etc...

I have found George Hooper's stuff and another guy with a guide to hex editing on geocities (just learned to do this and hacked my startup ship, pretty proud of myself at the moment). But these do not show how to hex edit the things I was wanting to do.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

Hmm. I regard George's hacking info as the best available on the web. So much so that I printed a lot of it out and stuck it in a file. One of his guides does cover hacking the Elite ratings and military ranks. You just need to scan through the code with your hex editor to find the right bytes to amend because, as you point out, the actual address varies according to whether you're using FFE, JJFFE, GLFFE etc.

The bottom line is... if I can figure it out, anyone can! :)

Last edited:
"One of his guides does cover hacking the Elite ratings and military ranks."

Quite right, I should have read the whole document. My apologies! Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom