Newcomer / Intro Hey, here I am, can you see me? Mining for hours to provide for my FC?

I'm going to be taking a break from this game myself, it's just not feasible to mine Tritium as a means of long distance travel in the current state of the game. Even if you find a double hotspot it's <100t/hr laser mining. Mining takes more time than jumping, if you math it all up where do we get time to even explore? Spend and hour jumping for every three hours mining and suddenly you've gone 2000 ly!

Thwarptide

Banned
It would take me at least a month to farm 57 types of mats to G5 a krait mk2 plus the hundred of jumps to do it, then the jumps to all the engineers; and you're not satisfied with the time and effort it takes to farm fuel or stuff to buy fuel for the gas guzzler?
Money in ED is the easy part, everything else is work. There's no easy routes for anything.

Last edited:
I'm going to be taking a break from this game myself, it's just not feasible to mine Tritium as a means of long distance travel in the current state of the game. Even if you find a double hotspot it's <100t/hr laser mining. Mining takes more time than jumping, if you math it all up where do we get time to even explore? Spend and hour jumping for every three hours mining and suddenly you've gone 2000 ly!

If you want to explore equip a decent ship for exploring and go exploring, a few good trips and you will have your 5b for a FC and maybe have an idea what to use it for. If you are buying a FC to go long range exploring then you are wasting your time, that's not what they are good for.

If you want to explore equip a decent ship for exploring and go exploring, a few good trips and you will have your 5b for a FC and maybe have an idea what to use it for. If you are buying a FC to go long range exploring then you are wasting your time, that's not what they are good for.
Yep, they're only good for exploration if you desperately want some place to sell your data (at a 25% loss, imagine if your NPC stole that) or if you really want to reach one of those places that can only be reached with a 500LY jump. I never understood the clamor to use them for explo.

The smart ones go waaay out and park em as stepping stones for real explorers, even then what are they good for? A real explorer doesn't need to access em. So what then, big fat expensive mining barges? On a long enough time even they have to go back to the bubble.

Got mine to reach some unreachable stars, it's currently sitting about 4kly from the bubble while I check out some distant stars around 11kly away, once I've done that it's back to the FC and up or down to get those really hard to reach ones.

Someone's got the wrong end of the stick I think. F C is a carrier, not a ship, using it like a ship is what is driving people daft. This is certainly not a "newcomer's" issue.

Someone's got the wrong end of the stick I think. F C is a carrier, not a ship, using it like a ship is what is driving people daft. This is certainly not a "newcomer's" issue.

Well ever since it's release players have been demanding unreasonable changes, such as reducing cooldown and spool up to the same as regular ships, it's no wonder new players get confused when old players are spouting such nonsense!

I think fleet carriers were one of those things that started off a a good idea then got over complicated.
A nice simple hull where you could store and maintain your own ships would have been fine for most people.
It could have been fuelled by hydrogen and progressed through space like a normal ship.

Instead of which we got an intergalactic shopping mall, which most people couldn't afford to buy, powered by something rare and expensive.

Well ever since it's release players have been demanding unreasonable changes, such as reducing cooldown and spool up to the same as regular ships, it's no wonder new players get confused when old players are spouting such nonsense!
If they'd watched the developer's stream they'd have seen that it's the fastest spin-up/cooldown the servers allow with so many players.

I searched the stars with my giant boat, and in reality, it is a form of exploration, plot a jump, get out, check out surrounding systems, get back before lockdown, but as one casual dude, let's say I jumped out 10k light year from the bubble and I plan on going past Colonia. I started with 6k t Tritium now I'm 1/3 of the way there and have about 4.5k left. Bad math would tell me if I wanted to go 3k light year past Colonia on this journey I need another 1.2k t of Tritium. That's 12 hours of mining! The jumping isn't a big deal, and sure I could take my ASP Exp towards the dark and have fun! But, I've spent a lot of time mining, in combat, exploring. I'd be willing to give this game much more of my time, but they need to fix Tritium Hotspots. There are no >4k ly stations outside the bubble that deal in Tritium, and even fewer documented Tritium Mining hotspots.

If you don't have a team of dudes to help mine Tritium for your ship WITH you out in the black, you're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited:
The smart ones go waaay out and park em as stepping stones for real explorers, even then what are they good for? A real explorer doesn't need to access em. So what then, big fat expensive mining barges? On a long enough time even they have to go back to the bubble.

Real explorers are smart enough to dump their UC data when they can at the nearest possible port - which in the black is usually a carrier.

If you don't have a team of dudes to help mine Tritium for your ship WITH you out in the black, you're gonna have a bad time.
Tell that to this fellow, he seems to have missed that memo.

I just stuff enough Trit in it to go anywhere I want and buy Trit to refill with the money I make exploring. I never have and never intend to mine Trit.

A real explorer doesnt judge other explorers or make silly rule....'real explorers do it in the void' is probably the bumper sticker though

@OP - sounds like you need a Jumpaconda not an FC. You're either going to spend time mining or jumping, which do you prefer?

My FC is being used as an exploration platform en route to Colonia for my first visit.

I'm mining tritium as I go.

You don't need a tri2 or tri3 spot; 100 units in a single spot is good enough for a jump with about 20 left over. One mining session per jump is ok-ish

It all seems to be working for me although a bit of an increase in tritium yield wouldn't go amiss.

When I get to Colonia I hope to have precious metals and stuff to sell for a truck load of tritium to let me go a lot further.

Or back to the bubble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom