Hey, Trade Cutter Pilots

When I run my Cutter for trade, she has engineered 5A shields, G5 Dirty Drives, and a mess of defenses. Base speed in the upper 300s with 4 pips to engines. Boosts around 460-470. I always submit to interdiction, then boost-and-wake. It's usually Anacondas and FDLs. With the upcoming shield nerf, I doubt I'll be taking this ship into Open too often, because I am a credit hoarder and fairly risk averse.
Where has it been said there's a shield nerf coming? I recall talk from a way back but nothing of late...

Welcome to the club OP!

The Cutter is a Robo-Babe, especially engineered - to truly appreciate her you should have a T-10 for trade first, then the drift is irrelevant, she handles like a dream in comparison.

That said, Anacondas, Fer De Lances and T-10s will be your chasers, all easily evadable from submit-to-supercruise. Watch out for engineered T-10s tho' they can hold you long enough to nix "D" rated shields - very rare tho'

Enjoy!!

Greetings Commanders,

So, I'm just about to get mine, and my face has been pinned to the grindstone for it so much that I'm starting to look like Darkman...but goal achieved.

My questions, if you wouldn't mind lending your experience:

When you get Interdicted, what are they flying, most of the time? My current Combat rank is Novice, if that matters, but it won't stay that way.

What kind of speed and boost puts me in a good place for escaping with minimal damage or less?

Thanks,

Riôt

Congratulations! I enjoy my cargo cutter profusely. With class 6 shields I can carry 728t. I usually see the dangerous-elite condas. With engineered MC in almost all hardpoints, there's no need to run. Pew pew pirate dead.

Even in PvP, a 520m/sec Cutter isn't going to be able to outrun a PvP dakka ship.
If you survive, it'll be because of your shield/hull and your tactics rather than your speed.

That's not entirely accurate. What having that extra speed gives you is time.

Unless your assailant is running long range mods on their weapons, the damage they can bring to bear drops off sharply outside of 1.2 kilometers or so.

The faster you are the longer it will take for the attacker to close the gap to where their weapons are delivering full damage.

Stealthie

Banned
That's not entirely accurate. What having that extra speed gives you is time.

Unless your assailant is running long range mods on their weapons, the damage they can bring to bear drops off sharply outside of 1.2 kilometers or so.

The faster you are the longer it will take for the attacker to close the gap to where their weapons are delivering full damage.

My cargo Cutter does 303m/s (480m/s boost) with 8D thrusters vs 324m/s (520m/s boost) with 8A thrusters.
With 8D thrusters, it's going to take me 3.9sec to cover 1.2km.
With 8A thrusters, it's going to take 3.7sec.

In a ship >2000 integrity and >5000 shields, the 0.2sec difference probably isn't going to be critical.

Sure, more speed is always better than less speed but squeezing every last m/s out of a ship like a Cutter isn't as important as it might be in, say, an AspX.

My cargo Cutter does 303m/s (480m/s boost) with 8D thrusters vs 324m/s (520m/s boost) with 8A thrusters.

In a ship >2000 integrity and >5000 shields, the 0.2sec difference probably isn't going to be critical.

Sure, more speed is always better than less speed but squeezing every last m/s out of a ship like a Cutter isn't as important as it might be in, say, an AspX.

Cheers stealthie , its good to know details like this as an A rated cutter can cost a pretty penny and the rebuy is nothing to scoff at either.

Stealthie

Banned
Cheers stealthie , its good to know details like this as an A rated cutter can cost a pretty penny and the rebuy is nothing to scoff at either.

Depends on your ship spec', of course, but swapping down to 8D thrusters can have a tidy knock-on effect with regard to the PP and PDist too.

I needed an 8A PP to run 8A thrusters and a 7A PDist (in order to build boost quickly).
By swapping to the 8D thrusters I could trade down to a 7A PP and I swapped to a 7D PDist too.

Altogether, that's something like Cr150m saved on the thrusters, Cr110m saved on the PP and Cr9m saved on the PDist for a total of around Cr270m.
Quarter of a billion credits to go 25m/s faster... in a ship that doesn't really need to run away from anything. :unsure:

Course, if you have a build that needs the power for other things, you'll have to keep the 8A PP and 7A PDist, which'll make the ship heavier, which'll mean the 8D thrusters don't perform as well.
Equally, I guess if you're trying to catch other ships, maybe the extra speed is worth the expense.
Horses for courses.

Depends on what I’m flying. If I’m in a Dolphin, it’ll be Anacondas. If I’m in a Cutter, it’s usually Vultures. I gave up trying to figure out NPC match-making.

I'll give you that A rated only makes a small difference and, that a commander finding themselves in a position where that small difference makes, well, a difference has done goofed.

But, this is the Imperial Cutter and it seems almost sacrilegious to put anything less than A rated into her. Well that and I've already engineered her drives and, in really not looking forward to more engineering. ;3

My Type-9 hauls in excess of 700 tons, sports prismatic shields, has never let me down, and costs less than 1/4 of my Cutter, which makes a fine combat ship with 256 tons of cargo capacity, should I feel like hauling small loads of rare goods.

Tried one as an Explorer, but my Beluga out jumps it for 1/10 the price.

my Cutter is wow. I had my first scrap with an NPC interdictor and a follow on helper who appeared after I submitted. I lost an SLF but the Cutter did marvelously. My days with the T10 paid off.

GL HF Commanders

Top Bottom