HIP 54530 - Bountied for Murdering Federal Agent

Flying back to the Iron Wings to do maintenance, I suddenly find myself the target of an Interdiction. I submitted to find out what was happening, and it turns out that the ship is Jupiter faction.

Since there is a civil war in progress and I am flying for the other side, I killed it. I now have a Bounty for Murdering a Federal Agent. It doesn't even count for the CG as it wasn't in the CZ.

I am not expecting any resolution on this, but, Frontier, if you're going to have a war between two elements of the Fed, turn off the Bounties, or extend the Lawlessness, in the system.

I shot a faction member of a faction in a civil war when I am a declared combatant for the opposed side.

In any case, this is meant more as feedback than personal concern.

Flying back to the Iron Wings to do maintenance, I suddenly find myself the target of an Interdiction. I submitted to find out what was happening, and it turns out that the ship is Jupiter faction.

Since there is a civil war in progress and I am flying for the other side, I killed it. I now have a Bounty for Murdering a Federal Agent. It doesn't even count for the CG as it wasn't in the CZ.

I am not expecting any resolution on this, but, Frontier, if you're going to have a war between two elements of the Fed, turn off the Bounties, or extend the Lawlessness, in the system.
But you've attacked representative of this system controlling faction, so it's understadable that you've got a bounty on your head.That was not part of the war, you just shot a policeman.
The fact that they will let you kill dozens of their ships in CZ before they'll declare you an enemy (and usually you can counter that by doing them small favour on the side once in a while) and shoot on sight is actually kind of weird.

Aren't "Federal Agents" Hudson's PP NPCs? In which case: Hudson's not involved in this, you just killed a neutral.

I shot a faction member of a faction in a civil war when I am a declared combatant for the opposed side.

In any case, this is meant more as feedback than personal concern.

If you shoot a police officer in a country you are currently fighting insurgents but they belong to the same faction you will be punished...so yeah your bounty makes sense, also the bounty I presume was issued by Jupiter Division? I would also issue a bounty on someone for killing a member of mine it makes sense to be honest and it was in the non warzone area, If you where to go out and shoot an officer in a public place in most countries as you are an independent civilian (As opposed to Independent pilot) for the most part you would also be in trouble with the law regardless of their standing or status.

@maehara - OP, stated that it was a Jupiter faction.

Everyone else - Congrats on rules lawyering, now open your ears and listen, I am saying that it shouldn't be so BECAUSE there is a war (not an insurrgency) in progress WHICH means that the legal authority is contested. I am not complaining, as I stated previous, I am pointing out what I consider to be a flaw in execution.

Do you honestly expect the other side to make fine distinctions in a declared shooting war? Oh, hey, I just got interdicted by the other side, but I should ignore it, he's just a cop, not in their military.

Everyone else - Congrats on rules lawyering, now open your ears and listen, I am saying that it shouldn't be so BECAUSE there is a war (not an insurrgency) in progress WHICH means that the legal authority is contested. I am not complaining, as I stated previous, I am pointing out what I consider to be a flaw in execution.

Do you honestly expect the other side to make fine distinctions in a declared shooting war? Oh, hey, I just got interdicted by the other side, but I should ignore it, he's just a cop, not in their military.

Yet who issued the bounty? You shot a Jupiter division member and received a bounty from them, Also who shot first? Usually ingame if you shoot first you get the bounty, If they did they do only issued from the other side.

Do you think during a war just because that other person is from the other side your entitled to shoot them no-matter the circumstances? so if i was lets say deployed overseas (Have been) and seen the other side lets say at a market (have done) do I then shoot them down? no...and if I did I would be court marshaled and jailed as it was not a designated operation which the cz's are not the rest of the systems they are public domain.

Il just leave these documents below to further the argument of public domains versus in this case cz's regarding the shoot on sight, do not shoot, he was on the other side argument.

Yes these are from real life, yes this is a game however the same rules apply to force of law an order regarding who shot first etc and this plus many games follow those rules to an extent.

You where in a public domain and shot first so you unfortunately are the instigator and where issued a bounty from the opposing sides leaders.

Every one of your posts either misconstrues, or ignores, the fact that a Jupiter faction interdicted me while I was on approach to the Iron Wings.

I did not go looking for a fight and drop on someone else, I didn't meet him on neutral ground, we weren't passing in the street, a patrol of the DECLARED ENEMY interdicted me while on approach to my Base of Operations.

Yes, I understand that, under the current mechanics, that is not considered a hostile act. What I am writing to say is that, during a war between established factions where both parties have an established, opposed, status (I am enrolled in the CG on the opposite side), this Should be a hostile act.

The "policeman" is of disputed authority in this specific circumstance because, legally, his ENTIRE faction is in rebellion and I am acting as an agent of the authority they are rebelling against.

I don't understand what's your problem.You think you're in a war with certain faction, so you're shooting everyone from that faction, yet you think it's not ok they don't like you and issue bounty?
At best you're war criminal - you shoot non-combatant away from the frontline. It doesn't count towards winning the war, because it had nothing to do with working towards achieving military objectives. You might've done something to undermine secuity of the faction you're at war with, but that's seprate issue - you acted on your own, so the controlling faction treat you as they should - as criminal.

Last edited:

You just need to brush up on your anti interdiction skill, or check your target before opening fire.

Every one of your posts either misconstrues, or ignores, the fact that a Jupiter faction interdicted me while I was on approach to the Iron Wings.
Did you read what they sent you in the comms? They ususally state that this is a lawful inspection - unless you already have a bounty on your head, you have nothing to fear from them. Unlike pirates, they aren't even interested in your cargo (and donuts are not a commodity in ED).

I did not go looking for a fight and drop on someone else, I didn't meet him on neutral ground, we weren't passing in the street, a patrol of the DECLARED ENEMY interdicted me while on approach to my Base of Operations.
Yes, you were passing in the street. The DECLARED ENEMY only exists while you're inside a Combat Zone and have declared your support for one side or the other. Which you'll have to repeat every. single. time. you enter a combat zone. There's also nothing stopping you from playing chaotic neutral and alternatingly support both sides while inside a (ok, n
multiple) Combat Zone. You will only become their declared enemy after winning (not just fighting) a lot of combat zones for the other side - and that is just through the loss of REP, not something inherent in fighting against them.

Yes, I understand that, under the current mechanics, that is not considered a hostile act. What I am writing to say is that, during a war between established factions where both parties have an established, opposed, status (I am enrolled in the CG on the opposite side), this Should be a hostile act.
Hmmm... just because you are supporting only one side of that CG doesn't mean that everybody does. A lot of players oftne play both sides.

The "policeman" is of disputed authority in this specific circumstance because, legally, his ENTIRE faction is in rebellion and I am acting as an agent of the authority they are rebelling against.
If I got this correctly (I'm currently some 60 klys or so that way), you are supporting the outside aggressors who wish to take control of this specific faction's home system in order to prosecute a harmless businessman 😁 (remember - innocent until proven guilty, so far he's only been accused). The legitimate local law enforcement stopped you while passing though their sovereign space in order to check if there were any outstanding bounties on your head, and you shot them without provocation.

If you want that kind of gameplay, you'll need to engage in powerplay, which is pretty much as (I think) you describe this scenario: You pledge to one power, which makes you fair game for all the opposing powers' associates as well as making them fair game for you. But this is a CG, not PowerPlay - and you should have taken a look at your HUD before opening fire. If a ship doesn't show up as HOSTILE or LAWLESS, you commit a crime by shooting at it.

To add to what Ashnak said above:
Player in not member of any faction (unless you participate in PP), even if you choose to support one. We can't be part of any military that's fighting a war - we are just mercenaries that can be hired to do something.
When you arrive at CZ - there's where local military forces are fighting - you can offer your serices and join this one particular battle as a mercenary soldier on one of the sides. Other side will note that fact and it will affect your reputation with that faction, but otherwise when you join the battle, normal rules don't apply to you for the duration of the battle only. Once you leave CZ, you're regular citizen again.

Top Bottom