Horizons / Odyssey Compatibility

I'm still hugely confused. I've zero (less than zero) interest in playing Halo, or spending the rest of my life walking around a planet.

Do I need to buy Odyssey to get Atmospheric Landings? That's it. That's all I want to know.
Don't say that. You don't need to play the FPS to find value in space legs, trust me. Myself, I really enjoy going out, for immersion, and yet I almost never do any FPS combat. You don't have to, it's optional.

Don't say that. You don't need to play the FPS to find value in space legs, trust me. Myself, I really enjoy going out, for immersion, and yet I almost never do any FPS combat. You don't have to, it's optional.
The chance to land on an atmospheric planet (albeit thin atmosphere), walk around the strange things you find (I found a pyramid) or do plant life sampling, while the wind whips up dust-devils around you, enhances the game, IMO.

The chance to land on an atmospheric planet (albeit thin atmosphere), walk around the strange things you find (I found a pyramid) or do plant life sampling, while the wind whips up dust-devils around you, enhances the game, IMO.
pyramid do tell and show , also dust devils? where ?

I have seen dust devils on many Odyssey worlds, they look a little like a wisp of 'steam' from some none existent geo feature or as if an invisible buggy has just slammed to a halt.
interesting , my fx settings are on low so maybe thats the cause of me missing out on this

I don't think I have a screengrab of the pyramid, but it was a metallic structure like the buildings you find in bases. There were no outbuildings. As the walls were 45 degrees and the gravity low, it was easy to walk and jetpack up it and stand on the top, which was narrow but flat with some lit panels a bit like windows but I couldn't see inside. there was no obvious hatch or door but the walls had panels and irregularities like most base buildings' walls. No indication who owned it, it was on an otherwise deserted/uninhabited moon. I think these random sites of interest (man-made structures) are inserted as POIs but I couldn't find any use for it. It was maybe 40 metres square?

Last edited:
Would they be able to target the same stu

I don't think I have a screengrab of the pyramid, but it was a metallic structure like the buildings you find in bases. There were no outbuildings. As the walls were 45 degrees and the gravity low, it was easy to walk and jetpack up it and stand on the top, which was narrow but flat with some lit panels a bit like windows but I couldn't see inside. there was no obvious hatch or door but the walls had panels and irregularities like most base buildings' walls. No indication who owned it, it was on an otherwise deserted/uninhabited moon. I think these random sites of interest (man-made structures) are inserted as POIs but I couldn't find any use for it. It was maybe 40 metres square?
thats really cool , if you remember the system name , I'd be interested to go see it , never heard of such a thing , only 9 months in elite so still lots to see but that is interesting

I've seen some abandoned buildings/sites too, think they spawn on low atmos planets and moons. Couldn't figure out what to do there, I came to the conclusion that they are for some future content.

Isn't it an Horizons poi? There are quite a few. Can't enter any of them either.

As i understand, FD plan to do that, but before they can, they still need to sort out performance, because planets can still impact performance in space flight, not to mention near stations.
That implies turning Horizons into Odyssey Lite, but that's not necessary to instance together in space. Granted, people in Horizons "Legacy" would see different planets than people in Odyssey, and you wouldn't be able to instance down on ANY planet, but it would still be better than no instancing at all.

That implies turning Horizons into Odyssey Lite, but that's not necessary to instance together in space. Granted, people in Horizons "Legacy" would see different planets than people in Odyssey, and you wouldn't be able to instance down on ANY planet, but it would still be better than no instancing at all.

AFAIK, that is the plan though. Horizons will become Odyssey lite.

AFAIK, that is the plan though. Horizons will become Odyssey lite.
It definitely was the plan, but there is a huge amount of debate (and deafening silence on Frontier's part) if this is still the plan since console support was dropped and Horizons will remain as-is forever at least on XBox and PS4.

Personally, I hope not. As I said above, there's no reason I see that Horizons and Odyssey players cannot instance together in space, or even at stations (though obviously Horizons players won't be able to follow Odyssey players on foot). It's just sharing telemetry data, after all. It's even okay if Horizon players are seeing different planets than the Odyssey players in their wings from orbit, because it's just a backdrop at that point. I see different stars and planets than everyone else, and that doesn't stop me from instancing with other Horizons players.

It definitely was the plan, but there is a huge amount of debate (and deafening silence on Frontier's part) if this is still the plan since console support was dropped and Horizons will remain as-is forever at least on XBox and PS4.

Personally, I hope not. As I said above, there's no reason I see that Horizons and Odyssey players cannot instance together in space, or even at stations (though obviously Horizons players won't be able to follow Odyssey players on foot). It's just sharing telemetry data, after all. It's even okay if Horizon players are seeing different planets than the Odyssey players in their wings from orbit, because it's just a backdrop at that point. I see different stars and planets than everyone else, and that doesn't stop me from instancing with other Horizons players.
They will probably delay the decision until they have to add some new feature that requires a server side change that would also impact Horizons, and at that point they will have a decision to make: have the server manage the two different clients or keep the server simple and cut horizons. The cheaper choice is the latter of course.

I think they are going to shut down ED on XBOX and PS4. Future of this game is with Odyssey, and since they can't port it to Consoles, no way they can support 2 version of the same game. One of them have to go. And the sooner they do it, the more resources they would have for Odyssey.

With all the games that Frontier has now, they don't need to go all out with Elite Dangerous any longer. PC-only is enough.

One issue is the Horizons surface settlements. Many (if not all) are located at completely different locations on the planet surface, those that are not have terrain differences - so, although orbital locations are not an issue, maybe surface ones would be. So Oddy and Horizons players can't meet-up for SRV races at Dav's Hope for example. ;)

Personally, I still hate all the Oddy UI stuff with a vengeance and would love to keep Horizons as-is (assuming F D can manage to return station facilities list in system maps).

One issue is the Horizons surface settlements.
That doesn't bother me any. I'm only looking for shared instancing in space, where 99.99% of current CGs take place. Though thankfully I've encountered enough "Horizon Holdouts" at the last couple of CGs I have participated in to provide wing partners and some PvP challenges.

Personally I'm more than fine with leaving Horizons as-is for the foreseeable future (like on consoles), it would just be nice to know whether or not this is the actual plan.
Considering that half the reason given for killing console Elite was “we cannot keep supporting two code bases” (paraphrased), I would very much assume that they are not planning on keeping two separate PC code bases around forever.
I’m gonna say by end 2022 ..
That’s what I said when console death was announced. Given the “roadmap-not-roadmap” that was posted later it seems more like mid to end of 2023.

… which is speaking volumes in and off itself.

Considering that half the reason given for killing console Elite was “we cannot keep supporting two code bases” (paraphrased), I would very much assume that they are not planning on keeping two separate PC code bases around forever.
But they are not killing console Elite, they are just not going to try to make Odyssey run on now ancient hardware. In fact, they are supporting two code bases, by supporting legacy Horizons on consoles for the forseeable future, if you take Frontier at their word. You seem to have gotten your story inside-out.

Back
Top Bottom