Horizons / Odyssey Compatibility

What will change for PC users playing Odyssey when the console versions are released in the autumn?

Will there be a wipe of the progress made between next week and autumn?

No. You're inventing things again. There's zealotry here indeed, but I'm not sure why you're doing it.
Where is the law that says a public beta must end with a wipe?

True, and many people will be very salty next week because they are expecting a release quality build. I won't.
I am curious how many people expect a bug free release next week. So far I've seen none. So I don't expect much salt from them.
The people who are already complaining about Odyssey will very much continue and start all sorts of 'I told you so!' comments. And I will reply 'we knew, but we didn't care!'. It's always like that.

I am curious how many people expect a bug free release next week. So far I've seen none. So I don't expect much salt from them.
The people who are already complaining about Odyssey will very much continue and start all sorts of 'I told you so!' comments. And I will reply 'we knew, but we didn't care!'. It's always like that.

I expect it'll be a a bug filled update with frequent connectivity issues that will require hot fixes galore. Like any other update/expansion release really.

(Strangely, that is something else I have managed to not need to do in the game... not short of any mats either!)

i never said it is needed.
But if you started 1-2 weeks ago and you want to g5 that FDL tomorrow... well...
Or if you wanted to get 4+ billions from the last encoded CG ...

Nothing is ever bug-free, but people usually do expect fewer bugs in a release than in a beta. I can see why FDev is avoiding the term beta, but actions speak louder than words. Instead of a full release we get a partial one. There's a reason for this, and you know it as well as I do.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Nothing is ever bug-free, but people usually do expect fewer bugs in a release than in a beta. I can see why FDev is avoiding the term beta, but actions speak louder than words. Instead of a full release we get a partial one. There's a reason for this, and you know it as well as I do.
You call it a beta. FDev call it a release.

This circle argument which has been going on for pages is not going to change any facts. I am surprised everyone is still here.

It technically isn't a beta, it's getting released next week.

Not sure if this comment is referring to me, since I'm one of the two (?) refundians here, but Frontier is giving me exactly what I wanted. I've always said that the time between alpha and release is too short and there should be a public beta before client 4.0 gets rolled out to replace the old Horizons client. Now Frontier is doing exactly that. The aggressive comments are coming from people like Murfelton who just can't accept that I was right. :p
You think Steam will label this a “beta”? 🤣

Where is the law that says a public beta must end with a wipe?
No law, but that has been Frontier's policy to date: an actual Public Beta takes place in a fork of the game database, so that players may test the things that they want to test without affecting their progress in the actual game.

Out at the edge of the galaxy, but want to test the new BGS changes? You can suicide back to the Bubble without risking the two years of data on board your ship. Want to test the new player experience? You can reset your character without risking the seven years of effort you've put into your character to date. Want to take a ship you'd like to fly in the future out for a spin, but currently lack the free credits? Sell everything you own and take it out for a test fly!

Calling the upcoming Odyssey release a "public beta" carries the risk of players doing just that to their actual accounts. And that, in turn, generates unnecessary work for customer support. Players have actually reset their actual accounts by accident during actual public Betas, or lost years of exploration data, despite all the warnings Frontier provided at the time. I'm sure the last thing Frontier desires is having to deal with that headache, on top of the inevitable wave of bugs a new release brings, once the software is released into the huge combination of PC hardware, software and drivers out there in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom