Horizons Horizons Planet Missions: How to find the objects to find?

I had a Mission to find lost Mines. I thought the idea was to search POI near the base they were reported at. I searched 4 around the city and found just Mining Machines and some Minerals. It was so hard even to get the ship into the centre of these Red POI Zones which simply vanish once you're near the planet. Extremely frustrating and I think I will never do any Planet Missions again. It is vastly annoyingly tedious without any result!
FD training videos and explanations please...(I'm losing all faith in expansions)

Land on the edge of a poi and use the srv tracking the top part of the radar. Sometimes you can get lucky and spot them from flight but if its a small mine it may not be easy to spot. Also only the srv radar actually points you in the right direction.

I had a Mission to find lost Mines. I thought the idea was to search POI near the base they were reported at. I searched 4 around the city and found just Mining Machines and some Minerals. It was so hard even to get the ship into the centre of these Red POI Zones which simply vanish once you're near the planet. Extremely frustrating and I think I will never do any Planet Missions again. It is vastly annoyingly tedious without any result!
FD training videos and explanations please...(I'm losing all faith in expansions)

Read the tips on Horizons missions and SRV usage before freaking out and throwing in the towel. Why POI zones disappear, how to search...It's all in there.
Take a deep breath!

I haven't failed any surface missions. I take the ones with long timers, park my ship at the port, head out in the SRV, get a fair distance away, and start tracking the "high" pings on the radar. Sometimes I get one or two unrelated POIs before I find my target. Then depending on how far I am from base, I either drive back or call the ship for dust-off.

It may be less efficient than skimming in the ship, but I'm in no rush. I drive that SRV full throttle down rocky slopes in low grav, and laugh as the landscape rolls past. Oh, wait, that's me rolling, not the landscape. Glad those buggies are so tough.

I usually center above the circle when at altitude, then drop straight down.. works pretty good. always within scanrange of the object in the center,

Top Bottom