HOTAS/HOSAS Binding Recommendations? (Dual VKB Gunfighter SCG’s, Virpil CM v.3 Throttle, & Pedals)

Hey Commanders,

So I’m just starting to play ED Horizons seriously, and am looking for some advice on what bindings are and aren’t important. I’ve looked at a lot of the reference cards on the bindings backup tool, so I have a general idea as to how I should set my bindings. I use two VKB Gunfighter Kososima’s (dual sticks for combat and precision flying like landing), one stick with a Virpil CM v3 Throttle, and a set of Slaw Viper Pedals with both HOSAS and HOTAS modes.

Should I be using the “Alternate Controls Toggle” binding for when I switch between HOSAS and HOTAS? I know that there are two columns in the control binding menu, but the second box is grayed out on all of the main axis bindings. There are two slots open for something like Throttle Increase and Throttle Decrease, but the analog axis binding row (like the axis that controls both “throttle increase” and “throttle decrease”can only be binded once. The second box on the right is grayed out and isn’t selectable.

On the right stick, I have the X axis assigned to yaw, and the Y axis to pitch. The pedals are set for forward/ backward thrust on the toe brakes, and no binding for the rudder axis. For HOSAS (with the left stick and no throttle), I have thrust left, right, up, and down assigned to the X and Y axis’s (stick forward is down, stick back is up, left is left strafe, and right is right strafe. And with HOTAS, throttle is set to the main axis (with a button assigned to toggle forward/backwards), and all of the vertical/horizontal thrust (strafe) are assigned to the analog slew stick (it’s like a thumb stick on a PS4 or XBOX controller).

My goal is to be able to switch between HOSAS and HOTAS depending on the situation. I want to use my VR headset but not until I get the bindings sorted and somewhat memorized. Does anyone have any recommendations about which bindings are essential, which device I should put them on, and where the best area (hats, buttons, triggers...) to bind them on the device is? If anyone uses the same device setup (or any one of them) and has a visual binding assignment map, I would really, really appreciate it if you would allow me to reference it. Or even if you have completely different gear but have mapped out all of the important bindings with a diagram/ map, I’d really appreciate your help. If someone helps me get this sorted out or has a binding profile map for a setup like or similar to mine, I’ll make it worth your while (something like a livery package, in game currency, or some other kind of premium content from the frontier store). I know that creating binding profiles that are both complex and smooth/intuitive is no simple task and requires a great deal of time/effort, so I would insist on rewarding someone who helps me with it. Thanks for reading my post. I look forward to being a part of the ED community and getting the most out of the game!

Cheers,
EOD-ONE

My setup is different. An x56 hotas.
But...I just experimented and flew a bit, practised landing etc etc. And bound keys accordingly. No doubt mines totally different from anyone else's. There is probably a reference setup but I'd say go your own. Took me 2 weeks to finally stop changing and rechanging things.
Nice setup btw

o7

My setup is different. An x56 hotas.
But...I just experimented and flew a bit, practised landing etc etc. And bound keys accordingly. No doubt mines totally different from anyone else's. There is probably a reference setup but I'd say go your own. Took me 2 weeks to finally stop changing and rechanging things.
Nice setup btw

o7
Thanks for the advice. There’s just a lot of bindings that I’m not sure about them being necessary. I looked at a lot of Logitech/Thrustmaster/Saitek binding profile maps, and they vary quite a bit in terms of how many things are binded. Some have a lot of unused button bindings, and some have everything double/triple binded with modifier buttons. For example, stuff like all of the Galaxy Map bindings (yaw, pitch, z-axis), multicrew bindings, fighter orders, and wingman commands. Some people don’t bind that stuff, and some do.

I know that I won’t be using many of the commands as a new player, but I wanted to try getting everything sorted out and binded as accurately as possible so I don’t have to alter the profile much in the future (once I need the more advanced commands). If I were just playing on a regular monitor and could see my binding profile maps (on a sheet of paper), I wouldn’t care as much and could just change along the way. But since I’m trying to prepare to play in VR, I need to memorize the bindings and keep them consistent. I’m gonna keep looking for a profile that is all inclusive and uses a device setup that is similar to mine.

Thanks for the compliment on my setup too! I spent almost 2 years researching, chasing down, and adding piece by piece to it. I went from a HOSAS (with a warthog stick and a T16000 stick) to a Virpil HOSAS, added the throttle, then the Viper Pedals (my favorite piece of sim gear), and then decided to convert my HOSAS over to VKB when they released their mounting system. When VKB releases their new TECS Throttle later this year, I plan on selling the VPC Throttle and using the proceeds to get one. Sims are a great hobby, especially with HOTAS/HOSAS. It can get pretty expensive, but is totally worth the investment...

Thanks again for the reply/info. Maybe we will cross paths in the galaxy one day.

Cheers,
EOD-ONE

Everyone is different, so - I use dual Virpil sticks (deltas in use, alphas ordered) - and I don't think I could handle an additional throttle on the left hand (but I am designing a custom thingy which will have a lot of switches and buttons).
As for which controls are important - all of them 😁. Seriously - it depends on what you're doing. What I find important, especially in VR:
  • dedicated (i.e. not related to any modifier) menu navigation keys. Those keys get locked to menu navigation whenever a menu is available (one of the screens popped up, or you're docked) - it would be a shame, for instance, if you couldn't deploy weapons because you assigned the same key to "scroll up" and have the targeting window open... I have a small keyboard bolted to my chair for these (and a few others - you can't reassign the screenshot key, for example).
  • something I don't have yet are dedicated buttons for fighter controls, and I miss them. So far, I let the fighter run on automatic (i.e. defend), which somewhat limits its use. Going through the fighter command menu is not an option for me.
  • I use twisty sticks, so I have the three rotations on the right stick and the three translations on the left. As I don't like to keep the stick twisted on extended SC travels, I put the thrust increase/decrease (at 12.5% increments) on the right stick's thumbwheel
  • You can re-use all of your regular controls for FSS/DSS mode, as those will lock you out from ship controls in any case
  • depending on how you use the extrenal camera, you might want an additional set of sticks (gamepad, for example) for the camera control, as that one won't necessarily lock you out of the ship controls

Everyone is different, so - I use dual Virpil sticks (deltas in use, alphas ordered) - and I don't think I could handle an additional throttle on the left hand (but I am designing a custom thingy which will have a lot of switches and buttons).
As for which controls are important - all of them 😁. Seriously - it depends on what you're doing. What I find important, especially in VR:
  • dedicated (i.e. not related to any modifier) menu navigation keys. Those keys get locked to menu navigation whenever a menu is available (one of the screens popped up, or you're docked) - it would be a shame, for instance, if you couldn't deploy weapons because you assigned the same key to "scroll up" and have the targeting window open... I have a small keyboard bolted to my chair for these (and a few others - you can't reassign the screenshot key, for example).
  • something I don't have yet are dedicated buttons for fighter controls, and I miss them. So far, I let the fighter run on automatic (i.e. defend), which somewhat limits its use. Going through the fighter command menu is not an option for me.
  • I use twisty sticks, so I have the three rotations on the right stick and the three translations on the left. As I don't like to keep the stick twisted on extended SC travels, I put the thrust increase/decrease (at 12.5% increments) on the right stick's thumbwheel
  • You can re-use all of your regular controls for FSS/DSS mode, as those will lock you out from ship controls in any case
  • depending on how you use the extrenal camera, you might want an additional set of sticks (gamepad, for example) for the camera control, as that one won't necessarily lock you out of the ship controls

I have a dual stick and a throttle setup and it's very easy to use. Just flying around I use stick and throttle, but when I need more precise control I just zero the throttle and grab the left stick. I've duplicated some of the keybinds on the throttle and left stick so I can do things like targeting using either control.

With a Virpil Alpha stick, a VKB Gladiator-K, plus a Virpil throttle, I have more buttons and axes than I know what to do with.

Top Bottom