Hour to jump, hour to cool down, 500LY range + Tritium gathering. Is it too slow?

I wondered another thing. When 20 or however many people buy one on the first day, will there be a shortage of "parking" at the buying yard? Sure, after a while they'll move on.

I'm kind of hoping a ton of people by a fleet carrier, go in local orbit with 30 other carriers, who all decide it's not for them, can't work out how to jump it, decommission right away and we can have a fleet carrier graveyard of rotting hulks! Do it for me Commanders.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the 1000T of Tritium is the max you can hold? Because on the depot screen you can see that as the max (____/1000T). If we have the ability to store more than that in the 25K Units of misc., then it would make planning long duration exploration a bit easier. However, 500T for a 500Ly jump at a 1:1 ratio is ridiculous. IMO it should be 200T MAX per jump, and with that we should get a 1000Ly jump. That way with the depot full we could get 5000 Ly out of the ship before refilling, or transferring more Tritium from storage (assuming we can store more). And if the build-up/cooldown periods were set at 30 min each, (heck even 20 min build-up and 40 min cooldown would be fine), then we could actually get somewhere useful during a single play session.

I'm not sure FDev have realized how painfully slow it will be for anyone to usefully move these carriers. In theory they've adjusted the Tritium capacity and jump numbers to prevent OP ranges, but if I play for an hour or two at a time, the current state means I'll only be able to jump it 500Ly, then have it sit there for the rest of my play session in the middle of nowhere. This completely eradicates any hopes of someone to quickly (read realistic timeframe for those of us who don't have Elite as a second job) get this out to Colonia or Sag A*, or a distant nebula etc. I understand that we're supposed to treat these as a station that has the option to be mobile, but if players are controlling them, they need to be able to DO something with it, not sit around watching a timer. If I wanted to do that, I'd download a crappy freemium game on my phone.

With my suggested numbers above, we'll still only get a theoretical max of 5000Ly in 5 hours of play before requiring a refuel (or transfer etc.), and assuming I play for maybe two hours in a single session, each day, I'll get to Colonia in about a week and a half of RL time? Still doesn't sit super well with me, but at least it'd feel like I was making some sort of progress while playing. It'd still take me a month to get one to Beagle point - and that's even before we factor in the need to mine/run back to the bubble for refueling.

Also, as echoed in a lot of other posts, PLEASE add Cartographic Services. Otherwise how do we expect explorers to be able to get credits to maintain the carrier far, far from civilization?? That is all.

depending on how much cost (time to mine or credits) tritium is, having the cooldown after would be useful, if you knew you were jumping to a system where you could mine. or if you had to launch your mining ship and find a nearby system to mine. could take longer to refuel out of the bubble than the cooldown and charge up combined.

I was hoping to be able to use a Fleet Carrier to take a small fleet of my ships exploring, and spend more time exploring rather than traveling.

At 250 LY/hr (my Exploraconda can do 2,000 LY/hr including mapping most WW/AW/ELWs) not counting refueling time, a Fleet Carrier simply can't cover distance fast enough to make this worth trying.
Then you'll be wanting to stick to your exploraconda or whatever wont you?

Then you'll be wanting to stick to your exploraconda or whatever wont you?
i think that was the point he was making. there was some mention of some exploration role for the FC in the announcement but none of us who might explore or do explore can see how to make it work with an FC draining the bank balance and not returning anything, nor working as well as anaconda can. FD should not have mentioned exploration use really. its clearly more aimed at other things, like it might work for mining because you can store 25k tonnes of low temp diamonds in it, and bring em back in a few hours of jumps to sell.

player piracy in open is another use. potentially players challenging the superpowers now, is another. i can see wings of players forming an actual fleet and trying to take down the superpowers. FD is then going to have to work on how to have a full scale battle between regular npc military capital ships and fighters, against irregular player forces trying to mount a coup. im looking forward to seeing how they handle that.

i think that was the point he was making. there was some mention of some exploration role for the FC in the announcement but none of us who might explore or do explore can see how to make it work with an FC draining the bank balance and not returning anything, nor working as well as anaconda can. FD should not have mentioned exploration use really. its clearly more aimed at other things, like it might work for mining because you can store 25k tonnes of low temp diamonds in it, and bring em back in a few hours of jumps to sell.
It is going to be a disappointment for many explorers but then the upkeep of a carrier in far out places is going to be a major undertaking it seems, probably requiring co-operation, and I like that.
Because jetting to and fro all over the galaxy is already way too easy, in my humble opinion.
Setting up a base far away from civilisation should take a bit of effort.
And having to return to said civilisation every now and then is probably also a good thing.

It is going to be a disappointment for many explorers but then the upkeep of a carrier in far out places is going to be a major undertaking it seems, probably requiring co-operation, and I like that.
Because jetting to and fro all over the galaxy is already way too easy, in my humble opinion.
Setting up a base far away from civilisation should take a bit of effort.
And having to return to said civilisation every now and then is probably also a good thing.

Aye. How would you feel about having to hand in bounty vouchers in Colonia? Probably do you good to get out of the bubble for a while 😁

Top Bottom